• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Its not too early to talk about BALTIMORE

36 posts in this topic

When is it & which artists are going to be there? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hi.gif

September 9-10

which artists are going to be there? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why, so you can deface more books poke2.gif

Seriously, would love to meet up with you Chris!

hi.gif

September 9-10

Looking into a flight to Charlotte.... gossip.gif

hi.gif

September 9-10

Looking into a flight to Charlotte.... gossip.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Need a place to stay?

hi.gif

The bigger question is who won't be there. Again, if you are planning to come, book your hotel now - the Yankees are in town that weekend and hotels are getting filled up very fast.

Even more reason why people should attend.

Geppi museum delays July 4 opening for comic convention

Baltimore Business Journal - June 30, 2006

by Julekha DashStaff

Tourism officials won't be celebrating the opening of downtown's newest museum with fireworks.

Geppi's Entertainment Museum at Camden Yards, which celebrates pop culture and comic book history, will open Sept. 8, rather than Fourth of July weekend as planned.

Museum founder Stephen A. Geppi delayed the opening to coincide with the Baltimore Comic-Con, a comic book convention that typically attracts 10,000 visitors, and other events that will lure collectors to town. The September opening will invariably mean losing some tourists during the busy summer months, said Wendy Kelman, the museum's executive director and former state tourism marketer.

But the Comic-Con will bring a healthy crowd. Convention organizers expect more comic book fans to turn out and more media attention as a result of the museum opening, said Marc Nathan, who runs the show.

Delays in tourism attraction openings are nothing new. The city's new African American culture museum and the National Aquarium in Baltimore's expansion opened about six months later than planned.

Geppi, CEO of Diamond Comic Distributors Inc. in Timonium and publisher of Baltimore Magazine, could not be reached for comment. In the museum's newsletter, Geppi states "when we realized that so many collector-oriented events would be taking place in and around Baltimore at that time, we felt we should push back the opening."

Geppi funded the museum and will fill it largely with his personal collection. "He sees the museum as a reflection of his personal accomplishment," Kelman said.

Museum employees have booked 15 group tours, which will bring in nearly 700 visitors to the museum, prior to its official opening day. Another 80 group visitors have been booked for after Sept. 8. Kelman declined to divulge the museum's annual visitor projections.

Getting enough visitors has been a challenge for the city's newest museums. The 17,000-square-foot Geppi museum will be housed in the same building as Sports Legends at Camden Yards, which celebrated its one-year anniversary in May.

Sports Legends hosted 75,000 visitors its first year, about half what officials anticipated, said Gregg Wilhelm, a spokesman for the sports museum. And the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture received roughly 70,000 visitors in its first year, less than one-quarter of the 300,000 visitors leaders anticipated in its first year.

Sports Legend officials are planning more events to draw in locals.

"We are learning to be better entertainers," Wilhelm said. "We're going up against movies, concerts and other forms of entertainment. It's been a challenge for nonprofits," like Sports Legends.

Geppi's museum, however, is for-profit. Museum leaders didn't want to compete for grants with other museums since it already had substantial private funding, Kelman said.

Baltimore is a great show -- and true -- the Geppi museum is another aspect that I am looking forward to in what is fast becoming the East Coast's best comic show (though New York if done properly might be the best)... I think B-More has passed Philly.

It's an easy daytrip to the show from Wilmington, DE, so my son and I will be there on Saturday. Looking forward to meeting all the forumites, particularly those who I haven't run into yet either in Philly or NYC.

This will be my first Con of any kind in 5 years - I'm excited to make the trip. I'm bringing my teenage son & he's stoked to meet some creators. This will be my first chance to meet some fellow forumites. I'm pretty stoked. I can't believe Mrs. Voltage is letting me out of the house! yay.gifthumbsup2.gifheadbang.gifyay.gif

Does anyone know when online ticket sales usually begin? We're less than two months out, and I still can't buy tickets for this thing...!

I like to get everything done well ahead of time...

- Bill