• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Civil War Art - Speculation and Spoiler Warnings

86 posts in this topic

These are some of the more overpriced current artist (In my opinion). It has nothing to do with the quality of the art or the fact that they want to get as much as people are willing to spend (all the power to them).

Jim Lee/scott williams

Ian Churchill/Norm Rapmund splash pages

John Cassady (Just a bit)

Davis Finch (covers only)

Michael Turner (I mean, they are only pencils these days)

This is far from a complete list. Just observations from certain artist rep sites.

feel free to add more....

Ya see? Now this clown wants 7500.00 for 3 pages that just came out? Insane. Would I pay 10-15K for a Jim Lee Uncanny X-Men Cover...yup,Would I spend 10-15K for a batman cover he did 6 months ago? Heck No! I would much rather buy a Neal Adams Batman instead.

Ya see? Now this clown wants 7500.00 for 3 pages that just came out? Insane. Would I pay 10-15K for a Jim Lee Uncanny X-Men Cover...yup,Would I spend 10-15K for a batman cover he did 6 months ago? Heck No! I would much rather buy a Neal Adams Batman instead.

If the pieces are selling, they aren't overpriced. Overpriced means that the sellers are putting unrealistic asking prices on pieces and are totally out of touch with the market. But the stuff is selling, even if it's just one or 2 people doing all the buying. So the term "overpriced" for something like a Jim Lee Batman cover or splash is really a misnomer, because someone is willing to shell out at these stratospheric levels.

Personally, I agree with you in that I wouldn't pay these prices, but if Jim Lee is selling Batman covers for 10-15K today, he's obviously not going to list them tomorrow for 5K. Someone may be overpaying , but Jim Lee and Albert Moy aren't overpricing.

Jim Lee's new stuff is just far to common now for that kind of cash,but they do sell for huge amounts of cash. Why? Well I think this question is very similar to "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootie pop"? The world may never know.

Michael Turner (I mean, they are only pencils these days)

This I can agree with because acording to the lists I receive, his premium pieces aren't exactly flying out the door. Major pieces are moving, but their sell-through rate is nowhere near Jim Lee. I'm waiting to see whether or not the Civil War #1 variant and Aspen exclusive variant covers will move for the 9-10K asking prices. His Witchblade/Fathom stuff is snatched up pretty quickly, but the price points are much lower and most of that stuff is inked.

Jim Lee's new stuff is just far to common now for that kind of cash,but they do sell for huge amounts of cash. Why? Well I think this question is very similar to "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootie pop"? The world may never know.

Alex Ross hurt his own market by continuing to produce at an alarmingly high rate. Except for select early examples, his art has definitely slowed down. Anyone think the final page from Batman War on Crime would fetch 72000 dollars today? What was that, six years ago?

I think a lesson can be learned here, and Jim Lee pricing may see a similar turn. That doesn't mean a crash, but certainly an adjustment. And, don't get me wrong, I think he's a phenomenal artist.

The difficulty with buying modern art is that much of the pricing is speculative and hyped. If you're knee deep in reading the story and loving it, then of course you're going to be excited about buying the art. And, of course you're going to feel it's historic and awesome and totally worth 7500 bucks. But, by definition, it has not stood the test of time, and there is no way to know how history will look back at it, say, 10 or 20 years down the line. Rob Liefeld, anyone? If the whole New Mutants and X-Force hype came out now, he'd be charging 10K for pages too right now!

Just my two cents. Only time shall tell, as they say.

Rob Liefeld, anyone? If the whole New Mutants and X-Force hype came out now, he'd be charging 10K for pages too right now!

Do you happen to know where the market is for Liefield New Mutants/X-Force stuff? Despite the fact that he's laughed at now, I admit to getting nostalgic over some of that stuff, and I suspect that there may be a few individuals willing to pay for those pieces. It WAS very popular and it did sell very well, even though many won't admit that they did like it.

Rob Liefeld, anyone? If the whole New Mutants and X-Force hype came out now, he'd be charging 10K for pages too right now!

Do you happen to know where the market is for Liefield New Mutants/X-Force stuff? Despite the fact that he's laughed at now, I admit to getting nostalgic over some of that stuff, and I suspect that there may be a few individuals willing to pay for those pieces. It WAS very popular and it did sell very well, even though many won't admit that they did like it.

There was a Liefield X-Force page up on eBay recently that got no bids with an opening price of $99.

There was a Liefield X-Force page up on eBay recently that got no bids with an opening price of $99.

In that case, I'll pay $500 for any of his New Mutants or X-Force covers, and I'll offer a 10% finder's fee for anyone who can locate one for that price.

But seriously, I wouldn't mind owning one. I don't think he's a great artist, but when the issues came out I was young and I wanted them, but I didn't even have enough money to buy the issues off of the stands. So I guess it would be cool to own one for the novelty of it.

Man, I may have just talked myself into hunting down a Liefield cover. screwy.gifforeheadslap.gif

In that case, I'll pay $500 for any of his New Mutants or X-Force covers, and I'll offer a 10% finder's fee for anyone who can locate one for that price.

But seriously, I wouldn't mind owning one. I don't think he's a great artist, but when the issues came out I was young and I wanted them, but I didn't even have enough money to buy the issues off of the stands. So I guess it would be cool to own one for the novelty of it.

Man, I may have just talked myself into hunting down a Liefield cover. screwy.gifforeheadslap.gif

I would guestimate that you'd have to pay around 1K for one of his covers. Obviously something like New Mutants 87 would run you much more.

Are you sure you want to sink that kind of dough in some Liefeld art? poke2.gif

I think the cover to New Mutants 98 ran almost 10K. As for Alex Ross,I never understood his work,but alot of people do,I just don't like the watercolor medium. Rather it be done with oil paint. Just a personal preferance.

I think the cover to New Mutants 98 ran almost 10K.

Are you sure about that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's one of the most memorable covers, along with 87 and 100, and is the first appearance of Deadpool.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised. As I just mentioned in another thread, it's apparent that nostalgia is everything in this hobby.

yeah, that's about right. It was somewhere between 9-10k and if I'm not mistaken, it sold on Ebay. Someone else may know more details....

Not sure about 9-10K, I had thought closer to 5-6K. But, nevertheless, many were shocked at the price realized. The high/winning bidder was someone with a handle 'deadpool' (or something like that), so there you have it.

I think the cover to New Mutants 98 ran almost 10K. As for Alex Ross,I never understood his work,but alot of people do,I just don't like the watercolor medium. Rather it be done with oil paint. Just a personal preferance.

Didn't mean to imply Ross's work isn't good or worth a high price. I actually have an example myself. But, his prices have dropped due to the fact that he's done so much since bursting on the scene. My point was that prices can and do adjust downwards sometimes, even on high-ticket items. And, this happens moreso on "recent" art.

yeah, that's about right. It was somewhere between 9-10k and if I'm not mistaken, it sold on Ebay. Someone else may know more details....

Sold for $6,150 on eBay, Feb. 1, 2003.