• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dawn: A collector's nightmare...

19 posts in this topic

Being a completist, and fairly organized, I have been in the habit of using nice spreadsheets for my collection. With the advent of CGC, it makes it even easier as I can slab to my heart's content and then include a "certified" grade in the database. This has worked well for years, from my early FF collecting, through Captain marvel, Warlock, and a few others. However...

I got screwed one day because someone showed me a copy of Dawn. The cover art was just astounding. I checked around on ebay and found that I really liked Linser's covers. So I said to myself, heck, I should collect those up and slab myself the whole series! Simple, right? WRONG!

Collecting Dawn is like throwing a bag of BB's into the air and trying to catch them all while wearing boxing gloves.

The Dawn series, a simple 6 issue series, it turns out, has a whopping 16 different issue variants, including 2 different 1/2 editions, 4 different #1 issues, and all of the limited editions. And I am still not sure I have identified all of the variants in just that series.

Then you have Cry for Dawn, Dawn:The Return of the Godess, Crypt of dawn, all with variants and limited releases. Then it gets really ugly. Ton's of 1-shots, like Drama, 10th anniversary, and all of the wizard editions, the ace editions, calendars, sketchbooks, and all of the seven zillion variants and limited releases of them. And of course, Cry for dawn has multiple printings with different covers.

Try putting all that into a speadsheet and you can make an accountant hang himself. Sadly, there does not appear that a guide to this maze exists anywhere on Earth or even on the internet. Every time I think I have it down, I find I missed 6 or 7 variants and 3 more 1-shots.

If anyone has something to help make sense of it all, I would forever be grateful. I have found both Overstreet and the Standard Catalog of Comic books woefully inadequate. I even scoured the CGC census for help, and found even MORE that I had missed. What a nightmare. I wonder if a complete Dawn catalog actually exists... I am certainly not the only Dawn collecter to find this path of despair.

-Rival

actually cry for dawn and dawn (lucifers halo and return of the goddess) are pretty different books. the CFD books are horror B&W compilations with Dawn on the cover and the Dawn books are dawn stories (along with Drama) done Post monks breakup. there are a bunch of variants and regulars which i have been collecting form years. some (like the CFD #3 "promo" cover for lack of a better term) are super tough. i think there is a really good and cheap copy of Tears of Dawn #1 signed and limited to 2300 on ebay right now in a plaque (sure you could bust it out) get the signed and numbered though as these are originals and not overprints that were "extras". try www.comicspriceguide.com and type in Dawn and you should get a pretty fair list of most of them. when using a spreadsheet or database try Linsner:Cry for Dawn and Linsner:Dawn lucifers Halo Etc etc. that way if you pick up a book just for the Linsner cover, like Mystique or old Dark fantasies or Utterly Strange Stories, you can catalog them as well. hope it helps

Did you see this in my other thread? dawnwsketch.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA (Gloat Gloat) insane.gif

Thought i would post a few more pics of my books as i am kinda proud of em and there is not a whole ton of response. There is a fully searchable checklist at linsner.com so that is a great help. could use a few more pics of the books though. might help in finding them. oh well

here is Cry for Dawn #3 HorrorCom edition cfdhorror.jpg There are only @400 of these. this one aside from being signed by Monks and Linsner, also has a sketch inside, although i think it is a Monks Skull sketch.

Look Sharp variant Dawn #1 dawn1looksharp.jpg Love this cover!!

Tears of Dawn #d out of 2300 todawn.jpg

Musings #3 signed by JML kind of an interview-ish book but cool JML cover signed musings.jpg

More Later cloud9.gif

Grrrr... It figures you would post that one, the White Trash edition is the only one of the #1 variants I have yet to snag in 9.8... the last two I sent in came back 9.6, but I still have one more pending.

Thanks for the advice, it's a very challenging series (or group of series) to collect, but at least high grade (9.8) examples are plentyful in population. I am currently at about 25% of total Dawn series covers in 9.8, at least the ones I know about...lol!

-Rival

The Dawn series, a simple 6 issue series, it turns out, has a whopping 16 different issue variants, including 2 different 1/2 editions, 4 different #1 issues, and all of the limited editions. And I am still not sure I have identified all of the variants in just that series

It sounds like you got em all listed here. 16 for the dawn Lucifers halo which are Slab-able. there are also a couple trade paper backs and a hard cover, some editions with sketches and Signed and numbered again. I just saw a lucifers halo hardcover S'd book on Ebay Dawn Lucifers Halo Hard cover

I dont have that one but 100 seemed a bit pricy to me. I just sent in a #3 limited and two White Trash #1's and that does it for the slabbing of all but the regualar versions for me. i was not so high grade though as a 9.4 or better made the cut for me. figured why kill myself when resale (if i needed to sell) would be not a ton greater on these. Most of the 9.8s i see on ebay only go for a few bucks more than the 9.4s. good luck though! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I've been away from activly collecting for a while. I have a question. I thought CRY FOR DAWN stopped publishing when Linsner and his writng partner broke up. Does anyone remember his name and what is he doing now? I remember that CRY FOR DAWN had both great storys and great artwork. CHRIS

I didn't see anyone answer your question, but Linsners partner was Joe Monks. He continued publishing stuff under the CFD label after they split. I remember a book called "So Dark the Rose" with a nice Wrightson cover and a few others but they never got much momentum going. I don't know if he's still publishing

hth,

dave h

Hey doyle, lemme know if you wanna get rid of one of the White trash 9.8's... I'll give you a good price.

-Rival

I will definitely keep you in mind. i did not originally intend to sell either but i have a new fever... i want a new harley and i may sell some of my books for the downpayment. thanks for the offer and i will let you have first crack if i can talk my wife into the new motorcycle thing!

I didn't see anyone answer your question, but Linsners partner was Joe Monks. He continued publishing stuff under the CFD label after they split. I remember a book called "So Dark the Rose" with a nice Wrightson cover and a few others but they never got much momentum going. I don't know if he's still publishing

hth,

dave h

yep it was monks... he also did a one shot called "in rage" i think and he had a series called night fever or something like that. it was kind of a Cry for Dawn knock off with the chick covers and the horror stories inside. not the same without JML though.