• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A call to arms--? And a passionate plea to all who mail comics...PLEASE pkg SAFE

46 posts in this topic

re: Shipping in envelopes - i agree with ArAich and Jeffreykli that if you do it right, it's almost foolproof. The keys are:

1) As large of pieces of cardboard as you can - simply more room for dings at the edges

2) 3-4 pieces total - less opportunity to bend

3) books should be placed in another bag (e.g. magazine bag or slab bag) and then taped on 4 sides to one side of the cardboard to prevent sliding.

4) tape it all as tightly as possible.

5) use good tape (i.e. not scotch tape)

If you do that, you're golden. If not, watch out. I shipped a book in a mylar and didn't tape it down/tight enough and it slid out and tore the cover on the mylar.

I had a USPS Priority Mail box deliverd to me with tire marks across it. One day they sent me the pieces of a comic. The sorter ripped the book right out of the package. I received the form letter" sorry, but you item was damaged in shipping" 75% of the book was gone, the remainder was ripped to pieces. It would have been nicer to toss it away. The sight of that caused a minor mental setback. I have not been the same since.

What annoys me is the ebay buyer who sends me the detailed email on how to package their books.

Just smile and forget it.

You know why people are scared to death.

Most eBay sellers aren't comic geeks with 10-20-30 years of experience mailing comics.

re: Shipping in envelopes - i agree with ArAich and Jeffreykli that if you do it right, it's almost foolproof. The keys are:

1) As large of pieces of cardboard as you can - simply more room for dings at the edges

3) books should be placed in another bag (e.g. magazine bag or slab bag) and then taped on 4 sides to one side of the cardboard to prevent sliding.

If you do that, you're golden. If not, watch out. I shipped a book in a mylar and didn't tape it down/tight enough and it slid out and tore the cover on the mylar.

Gotta watch taping up those flate rate envelopes now.

My PO told me that they will start rejecting them with excessive tape.

I guess they fear people splitting them open and getting more in them than they should. tongue.gif

What annoys me is the ebay buyer who sends me the detailed email on how to package their books.

Just smile and forget it.

You know why people are scared to death.

Most eBay sellers aren't comic geeks with 10-20-30 years of experience mailing comics.

I had someone give me detailed instructions on mailing a record once. Twas powerful annoying, but I paid it no heed. I shipped the package the following day after I received a check (how trusting I am) via Media Mail AS PER HIS REQUEST and the clown saw fit to leave feedback regarding slow shipping "but packed great." (I packed it even more sturdily than his instructions, in the way I would want one shipped myself.)

Keeping in mind that such requests rub me the wrong way, I still have on occasion gingerly inquired about shipping methods if the seller seems unfamiliar with proper packing for comics. A month ago I went as far as mailing bags and boards and corrugated packing along with my payment because the seller had none. We were both happy in the end.

I had a USPS Priority Mail box deliverd to me with tire marks across it. One day they sent me the pieces of a comic. The sorter ripped the book right out of the package. I received the form letter" sorry, but you item was damaged in shipping" 75% of the book was gone, the remainder was ripped to pieces. It would have been nicer to toss it away. The sight of that caused a minor mental setback. I have not been the same since.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I got a UPS package once with tire marks. To their credit, I called and the next day the driver delivered a check in full!

Gotta watch taping up those flate rate envelopes now.

My PO told me that they will start rejecting them with excessive tape.

I guess they fear people splitting them open and getting more in them than they should. tongue.gif

I should clarify, I was talking about taping the cardboard, not the envelope.