• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2006 : Selling More Or Buying More

41 posts in this topic

While I have a large # of books I'd be happy to sell, and would try to sell if I had the time or inclination to list them on ebay, I'm not going to pass up good buys at my LCS or the few shows I frequent each year.

I think my dollars are a wash in terms of buying vs. selling, probably selling more than buying by a hundred or two a month, although I have definitely acquired more comics this year than I've sold.

I'd love to be in a financial situation where certain books are off limits and in the permanent collection, but given my living expenses, the baby, etc., if I can sell some GA or SA book I'm fond of for a good price and make a decent profit in the process, I have to do it. For example, my FF 5, which I'm fond of because I love Dr. Doom, not because it is high grade (it isn't), but if I can get around guide for it give or take, it can go. Nothing is off limits right now.

It's been about equal book wise...value wise spending was more. The reverse will be true the 2nd half of this year, and I plan on employing OldGuy's rule of thumb that new acquisitions should come from selling existing inventory--it obviously takes a while before someone can get to that point of course. Based on sidebar conversations I've had with board members and other buyers/sellers this year has been slower in terms of purchasing than in year's past (That doesn't indicate that it is a bad market, just cooler). That may not be represenative of the entire picture if there is fresh victims errr collectors entering the market.

I've crunched the numbers and was amazed to see purchases and sales in 2006 have been just about even (purchases were about $450 more). It's amazing because it feels like I've been in total selling mode for the last year or so, while at the same time I've been beaten out on some big ticket books I wanted. I guess the small ticket purchases really add up, which is dangerous!

For the rest of the year and into 2007, my sales should outweigh my purchases, if for no other reason than I don't see the big ticket books I want getting any less overpriced.

Everyone who is selling and making those huge net sales, where do you do it? I sure as hell haven't seen a single person list 20k of books on the boards or eBay unless it was undisclosed.

Well, you should be watching my bloody auctions, then! 893naughty-thumb.gif

$35,000 on eBay since start of the year. laugh.gif

Sold around $3000 since January. Bought around the same.

Because my wife and I are trying to pay off our mortgage in the next 5 or 6 six years, we (okay, she) keeps a pretty tight rein on the cash flow. So when I want to buy, I know I'll need to be selling to cover it.

That said, I see a lot of buying in the next 18 months... DC war books all.

Shep

Sold around $20K this year.

Bought - much much less - probably less than $5K

yeah, sounds impressive....but between you and me, gossip.gif it's all 893censored-thumb.gif

sumo.gif

Just as I said I would slow down in buying, I ended picking up a handfull more yesterday foreheadslap.gif

including these 3 pretty decent copies

sp100.jpg

ms5.jpg

xmen24.jpg