• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on framing

19 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to get a few of my best pieces framed rather then sit in the portfolio where they only get seen by me - i know people have different opinions on framing (some with the printed page, some without etc) and i'd love to what you personally consider to be a great frame job.

For reference, i am planning on framing a five page oversized sequence (big job!) and a Kirby FF page.

What should i be telling the frame guy?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Make sure it is NOT adhered to any backing board directly. If possible, have him use photo corners to hold the art in place. I know some pages have the corners trimmed so this may pose a problem. If you have the ability, scan and print an exact copy on 11 x 17 card stock and have that framed.

Just some suggestions in protecting the art....

Good point on the corners - i gave a friend of mine two pages he liked and he had them framed - the framer used standard tape and i wouldn't want to peel it off!

Make sure the framing place has enough insurance to cover the art,so If some employee steals your art,your covered. When I went to get my art framed,They took measurments,wrote them down and I took the art home,I didn't leave it there for 2 weeks,even though they had enough insurance to cover it.Get to know you the person who's going to frame you.

I'd prefer to frame my own valuable pieces (IE: Kirby FF page). I don't trust leaving a page like that with anyone. A mat cutter would cost around $40. You could probably frame your own using archival materials for about $100 max, while they would probably charge over $300.

Check out comicframes.com. I had this guy make me 3 frames for CGC comics last year and they turned out fantastic. He uses UV saftey glass and nicely constructed hand made wood frames. I think I paid about $90 per frame or so and he is great about answering any questions via email. I keep meaning to have some art frames made but never seem to get around to contacting him.

I've had all my work done at Michaels. You just need to be clear that you want acid-free materials, UV glass and you don't want the art actually taped in place.

Say this three, four, twenty times. They get the picture.

Then refuse to leave the art with them for two weeks while they wait for the materials to come in.

All of my pieces have come out great.

But they do look at me a little strange.

insane.gif

I'd prefer to frame my own valuable pieces (IE: Kirby FF page). I don't trust leaving a page like that with anyone. A mat cutter would cost around $40. You could probably frame your own using archival materials for about $100 max, while they would probably charge over $300.

I agree I do it all myself, barring that I will order the frame, glass, and matt then enclose the art myself.

This is not only cheaper but done to my standards.

I've only got one page framed and they used one strip of masking tape in an L shape to adhere it to the backing board. I was initially not happy with this but then peeled the masking take back and it's like a post-it note glue, very light.

Should I be concerned? My worry is that this glue will worsen over time and the tape will be permanently stuck to the page.

You probably don't have any doublepage spreads (most are attached with masking tape Christo_pull_hair.gif, but some did use the archival artist tape)

Still haven't got any feedback as to the long term effects of taped DPS

Actually, that's an easy one. If it's masking tape, or, even worse, that clear tape, it will begin to yellow fairly quickly. That stuff is just nasty. I bought a roll of archival tape (Japanese hinging paper..."Hayaku" by Linco), and while it's a bit pricey, it's well worth it. Every time I get a DPS I replace the tape ASAP.

Actually, that's an easy one. If it's masking tape, or, even worse, that clear tape, it will begin to yellow fairly quickly. That stuff is just nasty. I bought a roll of archival tape (Japanese hinging paper..."Hayaku" by Linco), and while it's a bit pricey, it's well worth it. Every time I get a DPS I replace the tape ASAP.

How can you tell if it's the good stuff? I'm familiar with the white archival tape but alot of the ones I've been getting "look" like masking tape but I could be wrong (talking modern stuff)

well, the archival tape kinda looks/feels a little bit like gauze...at least, moreso than masking tape. But if I was really unsure of something, I'd just go ahead and replace it to be on the safe side. I paid $15 for the tape, and it's 100 ft long, so figure that's almost 70 DPS' worth of tape. Not a bad investment.

And I seriously doubt there are many artists out there worrying about the tape they are using on their DPS. More often than not, it's masking tape...especially if it's coming from the artist.