• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about comics with cigarette smell

44 posts in this topic

I'm looking for feedback on comics that smell like cigarettes. Ie, they come from a smoking home. Do you care? Do you avoid? Definitely should be disclosed?

I had a chance to buy a collection last year from a guy in North Carolina. He's an apartment manager and his packrat tenant had died leaving behind a lot of comics. We were still in discussions when he mentioned that the guy was a chain smoker and he can barely stand to be in the guy's place or near the comics. I asked another dealer's advice and his feeling was that it wasn't much of an issue, that if they are removed from the environment they will lose the smell.

Anyway, Steve Wyatt ended up buying the collection and I ended up buying a few bronze books I needed out of his dollar bins. Having forgotten about the smoking aspect. When I got them home I found some of them were quite smelly. I ended up disclosing it on the website with some sort of description like cigarette smell when held close or light cigarette smell when held close. Something like that. It's been a year-I suppose I should go check on the ones that are left and see how they smell today. smile.gif

Anyway, some did sell despite my description. I don't know if they were going to a smoker or just someone who doesn't care. What do you guys think? Would you return them if you bought a lot on ebay and they showed up smelling of smoke? Does the smell diminish over time?

Thanks!

Marc

The problem is that it will never go away, but will only really reduce if they are aired out for a good period of time. That means leaving them out of bags and boards for weeks or months.

As a self-proclaimed comic sniffer, I would pass on a book that comepletely reeked of smoke unless it were something I really needed or wanted and couldn't get otherwise. Very little of what I collect is rare or that hard to find, so I'd probably just avoid it altogether.

I remember reading somewhere that you can remove smoke odors from books by placing cat litter or baking soda in the bottom of a large black leaf bag, then set the books on a rack or grill above the deodorizer material (so no contact). Twist tie the bag shut and let sit undisturbed for a time.

Never tried it, but maybe you can Google up some info about it.

I remember reading somewhere that you can remove smoke odors from books by placing cat litter or baking soda in the bottom of a large black leaf bag, then set the books on a rack or grill above the deodorizer material (so no contact). Twist tie the bag shut and let sit undisturbed for a time.

Never tried it, but maybe you can Google up some info about it.

Yes. Baking soda in an air tight plastic container. That is correct.

Just a thought,say you have a customer who PREFERS the cigarette bouquette,you could send the book in question to me for a few months and I could then return it to you with the desired result.You would have to pay for my cigarettes,of course poke2.gif.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Yes, DEFINITELY disclose it. I'm very allergic to cigarette smoke, so if I bought them from you and you hadn't disclosed it, I'd be...let's see, a nice way to say this...TICKED. I'd contact you immediately and send them back to you as fast as I could get to the post office (once you refunded my money and I left feedback for you, of course). And I'd probably never deal with you again.

I'd encourage you to disclose that information. Non-disclosure could cost you someone's future business.

And the smell will never *completely* go away.

Yes it is a problem - and I air them out - set them with center wrap exposed( no light of course) for a few days, and turn pages as necessary. I am guessing that over 60% of the raw comics I get on eBay come from smokers' homes.

CAL hi.gif

I would think the smell would go away after awhile. But, I guess if it was a very small apartment and the comics didn't have bags/boards then the paper could be smoke damaged.

I would think it would be possible after time, but if they were smoked around without bags/boards then idk.

Thanks guys, this has been very helpful so far.

1) As I said, I did disclose it on the previous set. Even on $2 books, which is time-consuming. Another advantage for collectors with our site layout vs something like MH or LS where it's just VG or FN or VF etc. with no comments.

2) The books were definitely unbagged and boarded. Now that they have bags and boards on them, they probably aren't improving, even after a year.

3) I had read the baking soda thing on here but had forgotten it--thanks!

4) 60% of raw ebay books come to Cal from smokers' homes? Whoa.

Marc

I have an Asterix book (not hardcover but they're a thick paper cover) that I got off of Ebay over 3 years ago from a smoker in England. It was a very strong odor, and once I revived from passing out I placed it on top of my TV for a couple of days.

It still smells slightly and what helps it is that it's been on a bookcase of mine since then. Unbagged.

I'm not sure what used car lots use to 'freshen' the interior but maybe what they use might be beneficial.

I'm a smoker but never smoke indoors unless it's from the window or in the kitchen. I would never smoke anywhere near my books and neither would i leave them unbagged and boxed. I just think that everyone is different and just because you smoke doesn't mean your books smell or vice versa! tongue.gif

Some people on the other hand don't care. They read on the can, while they eat, while they sleep and while they smoke. It's sad frown.gif

) 60% of raw ebay books come to Cal from smokers' homes? Whoa.

Yesterday I got 5 raw ones in separate shipments from my ebay purchases. 4 of the 5 are definitely from smokers' homes. I can always tell.

CAL

I have an Asterix book (not hardcover but they're a thick paper cover) that I got off of Ebay over 3 years ago from a smoker in England.

I told you not to tell anyone about that! mad.gif

foreheadslap.gif If you sold about 5 of them and the buyer asked you "what else do you have" that might have been me. smile.gif

I'm a smoker but never smoke indoors unless it's from the window or in the kitchen. I would never smoke anywhere near my books and neither would i leave them unbagged and boxed.

Interesting. I think my stereotypical reaction is that most smokers just consider it "normal" to them and don't notice or even think about it. I also assume, perhaps wrongly, that their sense of smell has deteriorated some.

Marc