• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about comics with cigarette smell

44 posts in this topic

I have an Asterix book (not hardcover but they're a thick paper cover) that I got off of Ebay over 3 years ago from a smoker in England.

I told you not to tell anyone about that! mad.gif

foreheadslap.gif If you sold about 5 of them and the buyer asked you "what else do you have" that might have been me. smile.gif
Shame on you. 893naughty-thumb.gifstooges.gif

There are ionizing air purifiers, air scrubbers and the like that are specifically made to reduce smells and these do work....restoration companies use them for smoke damage and the like...

jsut a thought.

I remember reading somewhere that you can remove smoke odors from books by placing cat litter or baking soda in the bottom of a large black leaf bag, then set the books on a rack or grill above the deodorizer material (so no contact). Twist tie the bag shut and let sit undisturbed for a time.

Never tried it, but maybe you can Google up some info about it.

Yes. Baking soda in an air tight plastic container. That is correct.

Hmm... I'm going to be devils advocate I guess and say that if pressing is considered restoration by so many, wouldn't this be also? poke2.gif

Yes, DEFINITELY disclose it. I'm very allergic to cigarette smoke, so if I bought them from you and you hadn't disclosed it, I'd be...let's see, a nice way to say this...TICKED. I'd contact you immediately and send them back to you as fast as I could get to the post office (once you refunded my money and I left feedback for you, of course). And I'd probably never deal with you again.

I'd encourage you to disclose that information. Non-disclosure could cost you someone's future business.

And the smell will never *completely* go away.

*senses an anti-smoking nazi here* poke2.gif

Funny how so many non-smokers say they are "allergic" to smoke.

Usually it is someone with allergy problems in general, rather then someone that is specifically allergic to cigarette smoke

I can't say that I've ever met someone that could actually document that the smoke is exactly what they are allergic to and nothing else.

These are the kind of people that make wrinkled up faces as they walk through your smoke while you are just standing there.

WALK AROUND! =)

sorry... had to sign-rantpost.gif

grin.gif

I heard if you smoke opium over a cigarette infested comic,you'll forget all about the cigarette smell.............plus all those hardcore opium freaks are always laying down anyway,might as well read the Silver Surfer comic before you nod out......... confused-smiley-013.gif

I can't say that I've ever met someone that could actually document that the smoke is exactly what they are allergic to and nothing else.

What are you talking about? You want to meet a person allergic to cig smoke, who has absolutely no allergies to anything else?

And to you, the absence of that "perfect storm" proves that no one can be allergic to cig smoke if they are in fact, allergic to something else? screwy.gif

So by that reasoning, someone allergic to peanut butter and bee stings is lying? Their skin welts and catatonic responses are figments of their imagination? Or milk, dust, pollen and beans? Again, a big fat liar?

Yes. Baking soda in an air tight plastic container. That is correct.

Hmm... I'm going to be devils advocate I guess and say that if pressing is considered restoration by so many, wouldn't this be also? poke2.gif

Nope, not unless interleaving microchamber paper inside a book is considered restoration. Smoke is basically an "offgas" produced when something burns.

Pressing [embarrassing lack of self control] with the structure of the paper itself, in order to re-flatten it.

Howdy Marc.

A few years ago I worked for a Fire & Water restoration company in Melbourne.

One of the key pieces of equipment that we used to remove smoke odours from house fires was called an Ozone generator.

They are also branded as Air Ionisers

I purchased one of these from a large store in Melbourne for about $50 last year.

They don't filter air but place an electric charge into the air passing through the machine.

From memory this converts the oxygen molecules "O2" into Ozone or "O3"

It is the oxygen comtent in the atmosphere that hold or transmits the odour of smoke. By converting the oxygen into Ozone the smell is neutralised forever.

The only drawback is that if used in a confined space most of the oxygen is removed from the room and it is possible to asphyxiate yourself or your pets.

If you place the comics into a closet for 24-48 hours with a running ozone generator your problems will be gone. This is also good for clothes or anything else with an odour.

Hope this helps.

Russ hi.gif

The only drawback is that if used in a confined space most of the oxygen is removed from the room and it is possible to asphyxiate yourself or your pets.

Hey, I have one of those in my dehumidifier/fan and I never knew about that cool side-benefit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey, I have one of those in my dehumidifier/fan and I never knew about that cool side-benefit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hello JC.

The small Household units may not be enough to harm you due to the amount of Ozone generated. Best not to test that out though.

Here is a link to an Ozone machine site. It may have some more detailed info.

Ozone Generator site.

Regards,

Russ

I have purchased books from people who have stated very clearly that the books remained in their possesion over many years (10+). Upon receipt it was apparent that the books were smoked around for the entirety. Of the books including many bronze and copper age books(newer stuff) the page qualities were horrible (light tan or worse)(purchased from different sources). I am assuming much of this is a result of the smoke and other chemicals released from Cigs because the covers were still fairly nice. I am of the opinion that Cigarette smoke on books is of a level of importance from a buyers knowledge stand point as sun/dust shadow and page quality.

The books were "aired out". I decided to experiment and leave the books opened at the centerfold no bag, no board, in a neutral environment for several weeks. The books slowly lost about 30% of their pungent odor but to this day (several years later) retain the smell.

From a different angle: I sold a book to a fellow about a week ago on ebay. The book had no odor. Upon receiving it he noted a shipping related crack in the slab so I had him send it back to me. He did not have the book more than 2 days. When I got it, it stunk of smoke (and did for 3 days whence I sent it for a reholder).

My conclusion is that the smoking can damage a book almost immediately and does not disipate in any kind of proportionate degree of time. It is the collectors decision whether to smoke around their books or not but it seems sad that someone would spend their hard earned money on a book only to slowly destroy it with a smoking habit. If it can turn your teeth yellow and your wall paper brown, then it seems logical that it can turn your comics brown as well. Just my 2 cents.

My conclusion is that the smoking can damage a book almost immediately and does not disipate in any kind of proportionate degree of time. It is the collectors decision whether to smoke around their books or not but it seems sad that someone would spend their hard earned money on a book only to slowly destroy it with a smoking habit. If it can turn your teeth yellow and your wall paper brown, then it seems logical that it can turn your comics brown as well. Just my 2 cents.

1279134-Gum_Disease_edit.JPG

Jack

(not much Photoshop expertise)

selegue's got the idea. 27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I have purchased books from people who have stated very clearly that the books remained in their possesion over many years (10+). Upon receipt it was apparent that the books were smoked around for the entirety. Of the books including many bronze and copper age books(newer stuff) the page qualities were horrible (light tan or worse)(purchased from different sources). I am assuming much of this is a result of the smoke and other chemicals released from Cigs because the covers were still fairly nice. I am of the opinion that Cigarette smoke on books is of a level of importance from a buyers knowledge stand point as sun/dust shadow and page quality.

Good post. Come to think of it, the books I purchased from the North Carolina collection (via Wyatt) did have average page quality at best. It's been a year and I'm definitely going to have to revisit those books to examine them again. If I could air out the worst of them and get a 30% reduction that would be good.

Marc