• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Submission Strategy question

40 posts in this topic

Ive bought slabbed books but never submitted any. But If I were to start, I suppose Id be tempted to get a lot of my best stuff graded. So---in your experience, does sending in a dozen high grade books as oppesed to one at a time affect the grades? Do they get "grading fatigue" with one submitter's copies? Or are all submission spread around to different grades so it makes no difference who sent them?

Also, similar to another post in Restoration, Is it ever advisable to send 2 or 3 copies of the same book at the same time? Seems to me if they have copies to compare at the same time One will be unfavorably graded next to the other cause its easier to tell side by side.

Ive bought slabbed books but never submitted any. But If I were to start, I suppose Id be tempted to get a lot of my best stuff graded. So---in your experience, does sending in a dozen high grade books as oppesed to one at a time affect the grades? Do they get "grading fatigue" with one submitter's copies? Or are all submission spread around to different grades so it makes no difference who sent them?

Also, similar to another post in Restoration, Is it ever advisable to send 2 or 3 copies of the same book at the same time? Seems to me if they have copies to compare at the same time One will be unfavorably graded next to the other cause its easier to tell side by side.

I always send multiples copies at the same time because I want them to be consistent with the same books. Who knows if they are going to change their standards in the future!

P.S. Screw your [!@#%^&^] and just send in the good stuff...rookie! tongue.gif

I believe no matter what you're going to have different pre-graders either way. As far as I know there's not a real lot of strategy. Just present your books nicely, package them well, and press out any light marks. Some people think that if you send in books at a higher tier you get better grades, however, I don't think so. I've gotten so-so grades from express and pretty good ones from economy. I highly doubt they use other copies to grade, I believe they have some sort of system in their heads as to what fits in each grade in their opinion. I believe they have one book in front of them, they grade it, then put it away or pass it on to the next grader..

Brian

P.S. Screw your [!@#%^&^] and just send in the good stuff...rookie! tongue.gif

awww gregster---I've waited this long...and theyre not for sale anyway. but I might if they were 9.8s for crazy money. But they probably arent (Silver that is..might have some BAs I picked up over the years) so why bother....ahhh whatever.

(I have this same conversation with myself every night reading these boards from you guys making it work for you!)

Ive bought slabbed books but never submitted any. But If I were to start, I suppose Id be tempted to get a lot of my best stuff graded. So---in your experience, does sending in a dozen high grade books as oppesed to one at a time affect the grades?

Great question.....I have been toying with this idea as well. I would be very interested to know what books you are going to get slabbed first and whether or not you are intending to sell?

I went through a whole bunch of my books the weekend before last and put aside twenty for hypothetical slabbing:

6 Jungle/Jumbo in at least VF

6 Brave and Bold below 100 in NM/NM+ condition

5 Batman 80 page giants in at least NM/NM+ (all below

1 Sheena 3-d VF-

1 Daredevil #158 a really killer copy (would hope to at least get a 9.6)

1 ASM #63 in VF/NM (very hard book in HG)

except for the sheena 3-d I could part with all of them (the DC B&B's are dupes), maybe via consignment.

The forum's views would be appreciated. Be gentle....I have never considered selling a book before. insane.gif

I would be very interested to know what books you are going to get slabbed first and whether or not you are intending to sell?

aye, and therein lies the rub! (whatever that means!?)

I never sell. And the very idea of you wanting my books makes me want them even more!! But I think I could part with them for silly money...but how realistic is this attitude? So I keep accumulating and someday I say I'll sell.....and with the current CGC multiples I get tempted.....sorely tempted....... confused.gif

Someone Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the shipping/recieving department and the grading department set up seperately so that the graders don't know where the book came from or who submitted it, while they're grading?

And they see so many books in one day, I can't see how one person having a batch or just one book makes any difference either way.

Someone Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the shipping/recieving department and the grading department set up seperately so that the graders don't know where the book came from or who submitted it, while they're grading?

And they see so many books in one day, I can't see how one person having a batch or just one book makes any difference either way.

What if you got somebody who hand delivers his books to get yours slabbed at the same time, would that make a difference?

It goes to billing first. So my guess is this is how it works. Package comes in. The billing info comes to the accountants. They make sure it's all okay. Then someone takes those books and places them into the safe or whatever they're keeping the books in now. Then little by little the more urgent-to-grade books are graded and little by little your economy batch is graded to fit the timeline. Upon completion they're given to shipping, placed in a box and mailed to you.

The only thing I don't really get how it works is walk-thru.

Brian

Well, if I'm right about what I said above, it still wouldn't make a difference because the shipping/recieving/reception department is probably the one you would be dealing with if you were to walk books in. Again, this is purely based on hearsay, and I can't verify it 100% because I've never been to their headquarters.

But I think the best strategy is not to submit POS books. grin.gif

I would be very interested to know what books you are going to get slabbed first and whether or not you are intending to sell?

I have been dallying with my Voodoo 8, Witches Tales 23 and Green Mask V2#4. All are minimum of 9.0. But darn - I hate to even mail them in. I really love just looking at them and reading them. But if they came back as I expect (which is actually greater than 9.0) I could probably profit enough to get VERY decent replacements raw and have some bucks left over. Arrgghhhh!

5 Batman 80 page giants in at least NM/NM+

What Batman 80 page giants do you have? 893whatthe.gif

I bought a slabbed #202 in 9.8.

The 5 I put aside are: 187, 193, 198, 223 and 228

Ever run across a high grade # 185?

And can you give a ballpark of what the 202 in 9.8 ran you?

But I think the best strategy is not to submit POS books.

Worked well for me!

Or maybe the best advice is to not delude yourself that your book rocks when it is junk! frown.gif

[quoteEver run across a high grade # 185?

And can you give a ballpark of what the 202 in 9.8 ran you?

Funnily enough I don't have a copy of #185. I didn't think it was an 80 pager. Just goes to show.

I bought the #202 9.8 12 months ago for $400.