• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to eliminate shadows in comic book scans?

9 posts in this topic

I have been scanning books that I would like to add to my website and I'm having trouble properly eliminating the shadow that is prominent in the scan on at least one edge of the book due to the direction of scanner's light. Any tips on how to eliminate this without losing parts of the book itself? I can't seem to magic wand it out without losing something or not getting all of the shadow.

Thanks!

Paul

As I mentioned, I'm looking for a way to eliminate the shadows without losing parts of the book itself.

I bet you Hank B Marvin and the boys aren't sleeping well tonight..........

o.k. if you want to do it the hard way...

a) Scan the book

b) crop the image to where you believe the book ends

c) using an image editor select the part of the book that is shaddowed

d) brighten up until there is no shaddow

the real answer is that a scan uses tremendous light to scan a book...

where ever there is tremendous light there will be a shaddow,

it's just how good you can hide that shaddow...

that's my take.

smirk.gif

Any tips on how to eliminate this without losing parts of the book itself? I can't seem to magic wand it out without losing something or not getting all of the shadow.

Thanks!

Paul

I wouldn't use the Magic Wand. Try the Lasso tool and manually select the darkened area. Then (this is key) on the toolbar use Select/Feather/ and enter 2 or 3 pixels (to eliminate any hard edges). Then you can use the Image/Adjust/Brightness/Contrast sliders until it matches the brighter surrounding area.

(But the "best way" is to just buy a better scanner. grin.gif )

shadow.jpg

Any tips on how to eliminate this without losing parts of the book itself? I can't seem to magic wand it out without losing something or not getting all of the shadow.

Thanks!

Paul

I wouldn't use the Magic Wand. Try the Lasso tool and manually select the darkened area. Then (this is key) on the toolbar use Select/Feather/ and enter 2 or 3 pixels (to eliminate any hard edges). Then you can use the Image/Adjust/Brightness/Contrast sliders until it matches the brighter surrounding area.

(But the "best way" is to just buy a better scanner. grin.gif )

shadow.jpg

Yeah, that is the best way...

if he has photoshop.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Can you post an example? The only time I get a severe shadow is if the book is on the thicker side (ie. DC 100 pagers).

If your scanner image area is large enough, try placing the book in the center of the glass rather then towards the top right corner. I find this lessens the intensity of the shadow.

PS: I don't really like to photoedit parts of the book (even the shadows) as it is noticable and is not a true representation of the book. If the purpose is for showing it for sale, it also becomes questionable.