• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

creases allowed in VF and etc?

11 posts in this topic

Hey all.

Im a new user here on the boards so let me begin by giving a friendly handshake and a big hello and wish kind regards to all.

I have a question right away that has been on my mind for some time, and the Overstreet Price Guide, Overstreet Grading Guides 1st and 2nd edition just dont seem to cover.

What Im wondering is what kind of size of creases are allowed in VF 8.0 - 7.5?

it seems as though a 1/2" used to be allowed and now I see in the 2nd edition OGG that it mentions a 1/4 "bend" is allowed with no color breakage. Im completely lost when it comes to corner creases and what actual grades they start appearing in. I mean I know they are in G and VG and such.

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Rob

you can have a minor tiny corner crease on a 9.0 book as I've seen many in cgc cases.

much larger 1/4 inch and I think you're generally looking at 8.0 or lower depending on overall condition. No guideline here, just my opinion.

Sounds right to me too! My understanding is that a 1/4" color-breaking crease is acceptable in 8.0, as long as the book is otherwise nicer (i.e. 9.0+). A 1/2" crease would drop the grade below 8.0 for sure.

I've had CGC 9.6's with tiny corner creases, and I'm sure there are plenty of examples of books with cc's larger than 1/4" getting VF or better grades. The old OS definition of VF to include "non-color breaking CC's no larger than 1/4"" is pretty far off target. If you look at the pictures in the grading guide, there are numerous discrepancies between what the text indicates is allowed in a certain grade, and what is pictured.

The book needs to be graded in it's entirety, and one thing I've learned is that CGC looks at the overall state of preservation of a book as opposed to some sort of checklist knocking of x number of points per defect. A like new book with great page quality, cover gloss, cover inks, no surface wear, no soiling, etc.,. can still grade quite high with small spine stresses or creases.

Thanks svndst1030 for the welscome.

Thanks also to those who responded to this thread, I really appreciate the help.

I have noticed discrepancies in the OS Grading Guide's and thats certainly frustrating, you'd think in one of these releases Bob Overstreet would ge this right. confused-smiley-013.gif.

I do realize as well that its somewhat dependent on the over-all condition of the book. One of my problems is I get a new book from the local comic shop (from my subscription box) and it will have like a 2" CC which came from Diamond that way according to the local comic shop. These books are generally high grade being new and all, and this is where I have the grading problem. Thats why I asked basically what the biggest CC allowed per grade "generally" are, or well thats what I should of said. =P

Anyway, maybe now that I have new rechargeables for our digital camera maybe I'll post some of these books in the other forum for "Grade my Book."

Thanks alot folks for your help and if anyone has additional help, its always appreciated and Im sure some others might benefit as well.

Most kind regards to all.

Rob

The inconsistencies in the grading guide have been addressed in this forum and I'm certain Arnold has a big folder full of our comments that will be considered when the next edition of the grading guide comes out.

As for getting creased comics from your LCS, I'd recommend swapping them out for better condition copies. At $3 a pop, I want a book as close to NM as possible.

Thanks for the post. Im not sure who Arnold is yet, but I wouldnt mind seeing the file u mentioned, it would probably be very educational. Im sure some of the things Ive had problems with in the 2nd ed. OS Grading Guide have already been listed, but heres some things I would like to see covered:

1. A little more about Tears and otherwise high grade books w/tears.

2. Creases covered better especially in [oops edit] otherwise high grade books.

3. Better coverage of Spine rolls.

4. I really miss the Defect section that was at the end of each grade chapter that appeared in the 1st ed of the grading guide. Maybe having this back could cover some or all of the above.

5. I hate to be picky, but better binding in the grading guide. The 2nd ed binding is terrible (or at least in my case). A lot of my pages came loose and this almost from the time I brought it home with only light usage at first.

This stuff would certainly cause a price increase but I dont think it would bother me too much. =)

oh, usually I do get replacements for my books at the store but sometimes I get thre days later and any replacements are sold out. I'' have to start getting there regardless of wether I buy that day or not just to be sure of getting prime books. =)

Most kind regards

Rob

The inconsistencies in the grading guide have been addressed in this forum and I'm certain Arnold has a big folder full of our comments that will be considered when the next edition of the grading guide comes out.

I don't believe Arnold will have anything to do with the next grading guide... confused-smiley-013.gif

....and it will be curious to see how many comments made over the years here will have been considered...and ignored....