• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scammed out of $550! Advice, opinions, leg breakers, etc welcome

33 posts in this topic

Jimbo,

The sender of the package has not replied to my email and not answered the phone.

I'm pretty sure the sender tried to scam me because he included the Upper Deck authenticated box inside the box he used to send the package. There was no baseball and no documentation. Just an empty box within an empty box.

The funny thing is, my mail day was going great because I finally received a package in the mail that was lost for more than a month. I had almost given up hope on that package turning up. Then the UPS man delivered me the empty box.

sorry.gif

I know that's a lot of $$$ for you,but it doesn't seem like much for the seller to risk a federal rap over.Maybe it'll turn up.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Hi Jim,

It's not a federal rap, UPS is not a government agency, and the purchase of the item was less than $1000.

Sad state of affairs - this is another black eye for Internet trading.

I hope you get ypour money back and I hope that the scumbag seller gets what he deserves.

CAL 893naughty-thumb.gif

It looks like this guy is going to try and pin this on UPS afterall. I received an email from him this morning with a "what's going on? you didn't receive the ball"? routine.

How do I know this guy never sent the 2nd baseball? I just compared photos of the 2nd Mantle he was supposed to have sent me and it turns out it's identical to the first one he sent. I should've been more vigilant in examining the 2nd photo, but gave him the benefit of the doubt because of our first deal.

Also, the box the empty package arrived in is crushed a bit, but it's not apparent someone opened it and rifled through the merchandise. The final telltale sign that he never sent the Mickey Mantle ball is the Upper Deck Authenticated box he sent the second time did not have the Mantle sticker/barcode, but instead, has a sticker for Bobby Grich.

Mantle UDA baseball sells for upwards of $550.

Grich UDA baseballs sell for around $9.00. frustrated.gif

What has the individual said in regards to this.I know that on 2 occasions,I've mailed off envelopes with out the money order inside and once with the WRONG one.Could there have been a mix-up?GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Only Jesus knows . . . wink.gif

hi.gif

And then sender smirk.gif

It looks like this guy is going to try and pin this on UPS afterall. I received an email from him this morning with a "what's going on? you didn't receive the ball"? routine.

How do I know this guy never sent the 2nd baseball? I just compared photos of the 2nd Mantle he was supposed to have sent me and it turns out it's identical to the first one he sent. I should've been more vigilant in examining the 2nd photo, but gave him the benefit of the doubt because of our first deal.

Also, the box the empty package arrived in is crushed a bit, but it's not apparent someone opened it and rifled through the merchandise. The final telltale sign that he never sent the Mickey Mantle ball is the Upper Deck Authenticated box he sent the second time did not have the Mantle sticker/barcode, but instead, has a sticker for Bobby Grich.

thank God most criminals are stupid. this guy's a pretty good example of a dumb crook

Definitely forward all this stuff to the legal agency you're dealing with. Also, compare the weight of the two packages. It sounds like the first one was heavier because it included a ball. Hopefully, you saved the packaging from the first ball, though it's not necessary.

Bobby Grich - a former Baltimore Oriole Infielder - whose prowess as a fielder was close to legendary. Hitting? Another story but he is the one who broke Nolan Ryan's no-hitter the only time I saw Ryan pitch at a live game. Ryan and Angels won 4-2, Ryan only giving up two hits.

CAL hi.gif