• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Collection . Most Valuable Collection ???

49 posts in this topic

O.K. As I sit here looking thru my copy of Overstreet, I have a thought...

All sorts of dealers want you to sell them your books, they offer the best deal, most money , fastest payout , biggest inventory etc. etc. etc.

So, my question:

Who has the biggest collected inventory of GA & SA books?

Who has the most valuable collection of GA & SA books

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Had"...but they weren't valuable...apparently they were only worth about $2000! 893whatthe.gif

But that's in Chuckie Dollars... using that ratio he'd probably give "Forum Legend" greggy about 13-cents for his entire collection.

I'd really appreciate if someone could write a FAQ/who's who in comic collecting world.

Example:

Dave Anderson: Owns Mile High Actions 1-20(?)

Geppi: has a great collection of ??? books

XXX: has highest graded SA ASM run

XXX:has best collection of Disney books

John Verzyl: owns most of the Church Timelys?

etc

etc

you get the idea

Most valuable/highest quality/best condition:

Golden Age: Dave Anderson

Silver Age: Tom Brulato

Or at least how the legend goes...

What does the legend say about these guys? I have not heard. Also, Who is the guy with most of the MH Timelys? I heard he is in VA somewhere. Whats up with that?

Dealer inventory? Metropolis wins hands down I think for both SA and GA. High grade, low grade, multiples of practically every key. For example, they currently have four Detective 1s on their site. Plus there are books that they have outside of their regular inventory that are just insane like the NM Showcase 4 they picked up recently.

Collectors? That's basically impossible. Unless decorum went out the window and people like Sean Linkenback and Steve Fishler started really comparing notes out here in the open, it's all just idle speculation. From what I know Dave Anderson probably has the most prestigious collection because he owns the best copies of the best books, but beyond that it's all just a guess.

Dealer inventory? Metropolis wins hands down I think for both SA and GA. High grade, low grade, multiples of practically every key. For example, they currently have four Detective 1s on their site. Plus there are books that they have outside of their regular inventory that are just insane like the NM Showcase 4 they picked up recently.

I have seen Motor City with a sick inventory at shows. Just mounds of GA books. Also with GA inventory, Harley Yee is definitely an honorable mention.

For Silver Age, I would think Tom Brulato has the best collection. From the books that I've heard/read he has, I don't see how there could be many other collections like it. But like Rob_React says, it really is impossible to determine for sure with S.A, since there's a lot of it out there and most collectors are private. For example, I know of one collector in this city(Toronto) who hasn't been actively collecting for years, but is sitting on quite an amazing collection.

As for dealers, I'm certain Metro has the largest overall inventory, and I'm sure they have a private collection of books much like their art collection.

For Silver Age, I would think Tom Brulato has the best collection. From the books that I've heard/read he has, I don't see how there could be many other collections like it. But like Rob_React says, it really is impossible to determine for sure with S.A, since there's a lot of it out there and most collectors are private. For example, I know of one collector in this city(Toronto) who hasn't been actively collecting for years, but is sitting on quite an amazing collection.

As for dealers, I'm certain Metro has the largest overall inventory, and I'm sure they have a private collection of books much like their art collection.

The largest overall inventory is either Doug Sulipa's Comic World or Gary Dolgoff, both of whom have giant warehouses full of books. Sulipa has EVERYTHING. For total value, probably The Mint or Metropolis.

The largest overall inventory is either Doug Sulipa's Comic World or Gary Dolgoff, both of whom have giant warehouses full of books. Sulipa has EVERYTHING. For total value, probably The Mint or Metropolis

You're right. I was thinking about value but I mis-wrote the post. crazy.gif

"Collectors? That's basically impossible. Unless decorum went out the window..."

I have a pretty fair collection but it's nowhere near the best so I'd have no real reason to hype it up. Even if it was THE BEST, it would seem kinda tacky to start bragging about it. Who would really care if I said I had the first 10 issues of the primary Quality titles: Hit, Crack, Police, National & Smash (for example). See, it's really hard to slide that into casual conversation even among comics fans without coming across as a snob (or something).

By the way, I just got here but it seems to me, the "high-rollers" of collecting don't frequent these boards (or any boards that I know of). Not that I'm looking for them but they seem disinterested about sharing their "stories" with "commoners". tongue.gif Am I wrong about that?

D Sulipa used to have everything in his massive Manitoba, Canada warehouse but I don't think he has restocked anything in 10 years. The only vintage 1940s Canadian comics he has seems to be coverless or chunks missing. His website is extensive & would take a month to read. stooges.gif

Definitely Dolgoff has a monster stash, and you could probably spend a lifetime sortng through his warehouse...

I still remember his Silver Age ads in the mid-to-late 80's, where you could get "any quantity" of FF 48 for $8 in bulk... 893whatthe.gif

Definitely Dolgoff has a monster stash, and you could probably spend a lifetime sortng through his warehouse...

I still remember his Silver Age ads in the mid-to-late 80's, where you could get "any quantity" of FF 48 for $8 in bulk... 893whatthe.gif

silverandbronze has been to his warehouse - somewhere he posted about it.

What does the legend say about these guys? I have not heard. Also, Who is the guy with most of the MH Timelys? I heard he is in VA somewhere. Whats up with that?

Dave Anderson lives in Virginia...he supposedly has some of the best copies of all the best Golden Age stuff.

Brulato has the highest graded copy of almost every Silver Marvel comic. Here's an article about him: http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=565&si=127