• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

Come on Bob! Obadiah in the number one spot??? Stop it. I've known you for many, many years, and I know you can't possible believe that.

It's amazing what one can convince themselves to believe when they're trying to unload $3,000 items at $20,000 a pop. confused-smiley-013.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Seriously the only reason that you and others feel that Action #1 is compelling is because it is a recognized icon of today. That does not mean it is the most important, just the most widely recognized. If you were to have asked 1000 people in 1920 the same question you would have come up with Buster Brown, or Foxy Grandpa etc. because it is the book they relate to so they feel it is the most important. Again though, just because it is the most recognized doesn't make it so. popcorn.gif

Ok comicnut, here is my last attempt (with you that is, I am still dealing with showcase), to explain why Action #1 is more important than any other comic book. Not simply because it is the recognized icon of today. Because it LAUNCHED THE WHOLE FRIGGIN INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you honestly believe that Foxy Friggin Grandpa would have sustained nearly 70 YEARS of comic books, fandom, movies, memorabilia, etc, etc, etc.

Good grief man, get a grip on reality. If that doesn't qualify Action #1 as being the most important comic book ever, what in the wide wide world of sports would???? Please tell me what qualities it lacks, enlighten me as to what some other book you can think of has added to the lexicon of comics that in any way equals what Action #1 did. Please help me to understand this. Pretty please, before I pass out from excitement at the mere thought of gaining such knowledge..... Christo_pull_hair.gifforeheadslap.gif

hey..this is pretty good...so are all my answers to your misguided assumptions:

1. I'm in it for the love of the history, with a consciousness of the money so as to not be foolish...if I were in it strictly for the money, I would still be buying high grade silver as I did in the the mid 1990's. This proves how poorly your psychic abilities are working today.....I wouldn't buy only victorian age books if I were focused on money only...too hard to follow pricing trends from year to year due to the scarcity of most books...you have to LOVE the stuff as I do.

2. I was 7 years old in 1972...so yes, I was alive

3.Victorian and Platinum Age books are THE EASIEST BOOKS IN THE WORLD TO SELL ( for me ).....why? Beacuse I only deal in high demand keys, and know various Victorian/Platinum age collectors, and auction houses, and have an established high profile Ebay account with a flawless reputation for high integrity dealings. My collection is as easy for me to sell at top dollar as any Golden or Silver Age collection you may come across. When you only deal in great stuff, you get a great result. Your friend Rob Hughes probably left this part out of his old saying.

4.I don't smoke

I'm the misguided one???

You and the ten other people that pay the money you talk about for those books must be seeing a whole team of psychiatrists. I guess you just keep paying each other "record" prices for the same handful of books being passed back and forth to each other. I've seen that before.

"My collection is as easy for me to sell at top dollar as any Golden or Silver Age collection you may come across. When you only deal in great stuff, you get a great result. Your friend Rob Hughes probably left this part out of his old saying."

Actually Rob Hughes ONLY deals in great stuff. He is quite well known for it too I might add. If you were as active in the 90's as you claim, surely you remember his ads in the CBG? The ones where he was asking crazy prices for high-grade Timelys, and selling every one of them. In fact, I attribute his ads for helping to create the high end market as we know it today. His multiples were some of the first for non-pedigree books on the open marketplace.

"This proves how poorly your psychic abilities are working today."

I never claimed to be psychic, I just was attempting to invalidate your ridiculous assumption that Obidah Oldbuck (yawn) is the most important comic book ever published.

And I think I have long since dispelled any myths in that area over the past few pages of this thread.

You chose to start getting insulting about it. Not me. It is what it is now. If want to keep yelling loud enough about this goofball comic book, go right ahead. It is certainly your right to continue to delude yourself in this fashion.

I'm over it now. Later.

Beacuse I only deal in high demand keys, and know various Victorian/Platinum age collectors, and auction houses, and have an established high profile Ebay account with a flawless reputation for high integrity dealings.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this one. your eBay account, all 2 1/2 years and 109 feedback rating is most impressive.

My collection is as easy for me to sell at top dollar as any Golden or Silver Age collection you may come across. When you only deal in great stuff, you get a great result

Including your recent stunning sale of Famous Funnies #1 at $3000 under guide. But, like you said, quality merchandise brings out the big spenders......

I've been on eBay since there was an eBay. But, I forgot, I don't know anything about the marketplace right??

I'm glad you're here, Bill. Other than gifflefunk, the rest of us have only been able to handle this thread in shifts.

Thanks Win. I'm about to pass this shift on to someone else. My energy, and patience, is waning.

WOW, $20, 000 TWICE over..I don't know if TWO Action #1's sold last year, But 25% of the Obadiah's went...thank God the Overstreet agenda is coming to Fruition.....I Think "Old Mother and her Funny Kitten" (listed just below that book in the "Victorian" section), Might have gone for EVEN more money, BUT No recorded sales...Sweet Jesus, somebody sell that book.

I just had to start reading back over this thead. Clearly the most insane one in board history....and found this GEM!

That is the funniest thing I have read all day.

The time is coming soon when the oldest comic books will also be the most valuable...it is inevitable. All undervalued markets correct themselves at some point. Obadiah Oldbuck will surface as the Declaration of Independance of the US comic marketplace

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT just one dadburned minute! I should have read this post before I got all worked up and spent time and effort trying to convince the writer of the above words to see things logically???!!!

Holy smokestado, I was right earlier when I mentioned a team of psychiatrists. This guy is certifiable!!

I'm outta here, and headed back to where people debate comic books with civility, sanity, and above all some measure of sense...like in any other thread on this board.

Out.

hahahaha! Sorry, I publicly quit this thread many pages ago, but when I saw Bill was Posting I had to go back and read. Poor Bill, so new to the boards and already worked up and embroiled in one of the most one sided assanine threads I have ever read. I am officially off of this thread again... And Bill, you earned your stripes on this one no doubt! Some of the most logical arguements grounded in knowledge & experience yet, and still the wall persisits....

WOW, $20, 000 TWICE over..I don't know if TWO Action #1's sold last year, But 25% of the Obadiah's went...thank God the Overstreet agenda is coming to Fruition.....I Think "Old Mother and her Funny Kitten" (listed just below that book in the "Victorian" section), Might have gone for EVEN more money, BUT No recorded sales...Sweet Jesus, somebody sell that book.

I just had to start reading back over this thead. Clearly the most insane one in board history....and found this GEM!

Bill,

in a way I'm enjoying your sense of humor...and Beerbohm thinks highly of you too...so you're OK with me now thumbsup2.gif ( bet you're relieved ), and not some whacko poster like I've seen on this thread. Now that you're sucked into this, let me clairfy something. I think Action #1 is hands down the greatest comic book ever printed, and that will never change. It's dominance at the top is unmatched and historic. It is the holy grail of the entire comics marketplace. Action #1 is truly the king of comics. The dealer buy price for a NM is at $1,000,000 ---how powerful a statement is that!

With that said, in my opinion ( and the 10 other people you referenced in a post from yesterday ), Obadiah Oldbuck is still one of the most important comic books ever printed due to the fact that it is the 1st US comic book. There is no Oldbuck movie, no lunch boxes with his image, but truly a historic key book...especially in the Victorian/Platinum Age world of colllecting. Obadiah Oldbuck is THE key book of the entire Victorian Age. I think it deserves a little more credit than you have eluded to...but to each his own. When I see Obadiah, I see a key piece of Americana and comic book royalty....it's the 1st American comic book !!!! hail.gif I understand all you see is 40 pages of nothing, and that's OK.

Just like everyone else on this post, I welcome all input and perspectives, especially from a Sr.Overstreet Advisor and respectable dealer such as yourself. I realize that I collect books that are not mianstream...this is a niche. It is often misunderstood and questioned. If I could have any comic book as a contest winner let's say, it would be Action 1.( since I have 3 Oldbuck's...if I had none, it may not be that simple ) That does not mean that Obadiah Oldbuck is a big, overated nothing. I think they are both great books in their own right, and each deserving of respect and appreciation....this is probably the biggest difference between your view and mine...I love them both. Just because myself and fellow collectors of Victorian/Platinum Age comics buy, sell and trade books different than you, does not make us crazy .I wasn't considered crazy or in need of a psychiatrist by anyone when I sold a restored VF McFadden's Flats for $10,500 last year on Ebay.

In a previous post, I had picked my personal top 3 books, and I listed Oldbuck 1st...that was due to it being the oldest. If my picks were in order of supremecy, I would pick Action #1 1st, and Oldbuck a close 2nd.

A great key book is a great key book...even if it's not your particular flavor of vodka 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bill,

in a way I'm enjoying your sense of humor...and Beerbohm thinks highly of you too...so you're OK with me now thumbsup2.gif ( bet you're relieved ), and not some whacko poster like I've seen on this thread. Now that you're sucked into this, let me clairfy something. I think Action #1 is hands down the greatest comic book ever printed, and that will never change. It's dominance at the top is unmatched and historic. It is the holy grail of the entire comics marketplace. Action #1 is truly the king of comics. The dealer buy price for a NM is at $1,000,000 ---how powerful a statement is that!

With that said, in my opinion ( and the 10 other people you referenced in a post from yesterday ), Obadiah Oldbuck is still one of the most important comic books ever printed due to the fact that it is the 1st US comic book. There is no Oldbuck movie, no lunch boxes with his image, but truly a historic key book...especially in the Victorian/Platinum Age world of colllecting. Obadiah Oldbuck is THE key book of the entire Victorian Age. I think it deserves a little more credit than you have eluded to...but to each his own. When I see Obadiah, I see a key piece of Americana and comic book royalty....it's the 1st American comic book !!!! hail.gif I understand all you see is 40 pages of nothing, and that's OK.

Just like everyone else on this post, I welcome all input and perspectives, especially from a Sr.Overstreet Advisor and respectable dealer such as yourself. I realize that I collect books that are not mianstream...this is a niche. It is often misunderstood and questioned. If I could have any comic book as a contest winner let's say, it would be Action 1.( since I have 3 Oldbuck's...if I had none, it may not be that simple ) That does not mean that Obadiah Oldbuck is a big, overated nothing. I think they are both great books in their own right, and each deserving of respect and appreciation....this is probably the biggest difference between your view and mine...I love them both. Just because myself and fellow collectors of Victorian/Platinum Age comics buy, sell and trade books different than you, does not make us crazy .I wasn't considered crazy or in need of a psychiatrist by anyone when I sold a restored VF McFadden's Flats for $10,500 last year on Ebay.

In a previous post, I had picked my personal top 3 books, and I listed Oldbuck 1st...that was due to it being the oldest. If my picks were in order of supremecy, I would pick Action #1 1st, and Oldbuck a close 2nd.

A great key book is a great key book...even if it's not your particular flavor of vodka 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(A huge sigh of relief escapes the mouth of Bill P.)

Thank you Showcase. You have restored my faith in mankind. I truly appreicate this last post of yours and you now have my respect. As a comic collector and as a debate partner.

Sanity, yours and mine, are restored and all is right with the comic collectiing world again. I hereby give credit to Old Obidiah, and if I said anything to offend him, I humbly apologize.

I'm proud of you for at last being willing to acquiesce to the more compelling argument. Even the most resolved debaters know when it is time to submit to the logic.

In fact, I will contact Bob B. and ask him to send me a copy of the reprint so I can be fully informed as to what the first American comic book looks like.

Thanks again for the spirited debate!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Action #1 RULES SUPREME!!! headbang.gif

(And the people rejoiced) yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I'd like to thank Win, and Buttock, and Fouthworld, and shiverbones, Aman, Bob B. Sho'Nuff, and I guess even comicnut for making this fun and bearable.

And certainly, thanks goes out to Steve Borock, without whom, these boards would not be possible.

Now, at last I am on.............

cloud9.gif

My collection is as easy for me to sell at top dollar as any Golden or Silver Age collection you may come across. When you only deal in great stuff, you get a great result

Including your recent stunning sale of Famous Funnies #1 at $3000 under guide. But, like you said, quality merchandise brings out the big spenders......

You're killin' me. 27_laughing.gif

With that said, in my opinion ( and the 10 other people you referenced in a post from yesterday ), Obadiah Oldbuck is still one of the most important comic books ever printed due to the fact that it is the 1st US comic book. There is no Oldbuck movie, no lunch boxes with his image, but truly a historic key book...especially in the Victorian/Platinum Age world of colllecting....

I'm sure one of you graphics wizards could do a better job, but who could resist that image?

1360043-oolunch.JPG

I want one.

Jack

With that said, in my opinion ( and the 10 other people you referenced in a post from yesterday ), Obadiah Oldbuck is still one of the most important comic books ever printed due to the fact that it is the 1st US comic book. There is no Oldbuck movie, no lunch boxes with his image, but truly a historic key book...especially in the Victorian/Platinum Age world of colllecting....

I'm sure one of you graphics wizards could do a better job, but who could resist that image?

1360043-oolunch.JPG

I want one.

Jack

Jack, find me that lunch box....I'll pay you $20,000 for it wink.gif

Come on Bob! Obadiah in the number one spot??? Stop it. I've known you for many, many years, and I know you can't possible believe that.

Hi Bill,

Yes, after 40 some years in the comics business, as both a collector, dealer and these days a researcher into this madness, i have come to an internal conclusion that the 1842 Obadiah Oldbuck is the single most important comicbook published in America

It launched an American comics industry which was 55 years old when Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats was published in 1897 as well as 96 years old when Action #1 was issued. It began an American comic book industry which today is 164 years old.

This has nothing to do with icons, how much money anything is worth, can it be slabbed?, etc etc etc - merely a force of history, historical precedent, whatever label one chooses. Get the OO reprint from me - i am almost out of them now - read the story.

But that is my opine, this be America and we are all entitled to our opines

And ZAP #1 Plymell is the 3rd most important comicbook

It launched an American comics industry which was 55 years old when Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats was published in 1897 as well as 96 years old when Action #1 was issued. It began an American comic book industry which today is 164 years old.

Not to rehash the debate that was settled, thankfully, in the posts preceding this one (you have some catching up to do)...

But one could hardly opine that OO launched an industry that wasn't launched until June 1938...... some 96 years after its issuance....

I know what you are trying to say, but it is similar to the "prototype" issues of the 50's that everyone tried to find linkage to the later heroes by the same name or some other such similarity.

I haven't seen OO and have PM'd you for a reprint, so I'll reserve judegement on whether or not it was the first comic book. But, even if it was, it is still a LONG way from being the most important.

Now, as the great Roberto Duran once said...

"No mas, No mas"

Let the thread die a dignified death.

Not to rehash the debate that was settled, thankfully, in the posts preceding this one (you have some catching up to do)...

But one could hardly opine that OO launched an industry that wasn't launched until June 1938...... some 96 years after its issuance....

I know what you are trying to say, but it is similar to the "prototype" issues of the 50's that everyone tried to find linkage to the later heroes by the same name or some other such similarity.

I haven't seen OO and have PM'd you for a reprint, so I'll reserve judgment on whether or not it was the first comic book. But, even if it was, it is still a LONG way from being the most important.

Now, as the great Roberto Duran once said...

"No mas, No mas"

Let the thread die a dignified death.

Bill,

Um, i think you confuse Steve's commentary with mine

I was the one who made the "List of Three Most Important Comic Books"

You began going after Steve, who had not made the commentary as such

Tis me who blasphemed against the Holy Superman Grail

I am not "late"catching up to this "settled" conversation about The Important Three

- i began it and you were taking shots at the wrong guy

I have read the First Grail Obadiah and it was good

I have seen the light - and have been preparing the way for the Second Comics Coming of Obadiah for a decade now. One day you too will See The Light and say, "It Is Good"

Obadiah Oldbuck in 1842 was the book which launched the comic strip book industry in America. Pure and Simple.

Action Comics #1 96 years later launched a super hero craze in America - it is the Second Grail

Having done decades worth of research now into major studies done on comics readers, newspaper comic strips were read vastly more than the comics magazines we call comicbooks today. Studies prove that 90% of American kids and as much as 80% of all adults were reading newspaper comic strips which is where i get to the 100 million marker some one else previously questioned. People today maybe cannot comprehend that comic strips so permeated the society of our parents, grand parents, great-grand parents.

Back in the days before TV took over, most all people READ stuff to learn anything.

Obadiah Oldbuck is not some re-hash 50s knock off you hint at

Obadiah Oldbuck began the comics industry in America.

1360043-oolunch.JPG

I want one.

Jack

Jack, find me that lunch box....I'll pay you $20,000 for it wink.gif

I'll leave that to Bob Beerbohm --

Bob, how quickly can you stop the presses on your next price list update?

Jack