• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

yes, you have an agenda to throw out boorish commentary all the time. At $510 this 2nd printing Obadiah is still a bargain, it should go much higher, even coverless, so, i fail to see where you have a leg of decency to stand on calling showcase a shill for placing a bid.

What it ends for is irrelevant. Do you remember the time where a person could bid on a non-reserve auction 30 times to get it into the "HOT" category? That's the type of manipulation (not as extreme) I'm refering to. I'm talking about yesterday and today, not tomorrow - what Mica referred to as "In cases like this it's the perception that's more important than the result." He got it absolutely right.

Kudos to Comicdey and Mica for being open minded. I know they understand what I'm saying, and I appreciate their objectiveness whether they agree with me or not thumbsup2.gif

I think it perfectly OK for some one to make a bid in hopes of getting something dirt cheap on eBay - we have ALL done that - where is the shill concept coming from, other than to dispute anything showcase says here - that is what your agenda appears to me

and yes i remember very much the earlier days of eBay - i think i registered in 1997 and have bought over a thousand lots on ebay - and the sniping aspect turns me off from doing more bidding than i normally would - as they could easily make auctions extend out if people are still bidding - like Hakes has been doing it for a couple decades now

$500 for this Obadiah is dirt cheap, IMHO

I think it perfectly OK for some one to make a bid in hopes of getting something dirt cheap on eBay

Yeah, that's why he bid within the first 2 hours, right. Oh wait, the reason he bid was "I placed a single, low dollar bid because I wouldn't risk losing the book to prove a point." (And he lied about the "low dollar" - but his pompous comeback will be "That's low dollar to me!") insane.gif

He already said it would go over $500, so why bother bidding at all? And if you really want a bargain, you have to snipe, period. You should NEVER bid on the first day. I shoulda guessed you're one of those anti-sniping whiners. Why don't you just use an automated sniping program? The day Ebay gets rid of sniping, their stock will plummet.

There truly is no getting through to you cementheads. All you do is twist and deflect. I hope you two are happy together butt.gif

Ok, now we have a p * s s * n g contest over sniping concepts.

And what would happen to Heritage auctions if they reverted to the sniping concepts eBay still does? Their stock would plummet.

I would much rather spend my time bidding in Hakes or Heritage than sniping in eBay

that said, we have all sniped.

$500 is dirt cheap for that book - but we'll see how it all turns out now that i have satisfied myself it is missing some pages - so, this is not a decent venue to ascertain a benchmark FMV

I think it perfectly OK for some one to make a bid in hopes of getting something dirt cheap on eBay

Yeah, that's why he bid within the first 2 hours, right. Oh wait, the reason he bid was "I placed a single, low dollar bid because I wouldn't risk losing the book to prove a point." (And he lied about the "low dollar" - but his pompous comeback will be "That's low dollar to me!") insane.gif

He already said it would go over $500, so why bother bidding at all? And if you really want a bargain, you have to snipe, period. You should NEVER bid on the first day. I shoulda guessed you're one of those anti-sniping whiners. Why don't you just use an automated sniping program? The day Ebay gets rid of sniping, their stock will plummet.

There truly is no getting through to you cementheads. All you do is twist and deflect. I hope you two are happy together butt.gif

If you would like, I can email you a list of qualified Psychiatrists in your area

Yes, Wild Oats is a comic strip. The pictures propel the story & u don't always need word balloons.

True, otherwise GI Joe #21 (or whatever the silent issue is) wouldn't be a comic book.

Ok, so the sage wisdom by "some" posters here goes along the lines if one was to stick a line of words below each panel, then it would stop being a comic strip - this is the word balloon argument which has never been settled (not that it ever could be) which dictates a comic strip has to have word balloons - which i stopped subscribing to that concept more than a decade ago

From Wild Oats #190 August 16 1876 by Frank Bellew Sr, whom we dubbed "Father of the American Comic Strip". Bellew Sr drew 100s of these comic strips beginning in the early 1850s.

This one is titled "Rodger's Patent Mosquito Armor"

WILDOATSBellewOverstrC7D27.jpg

Yes, Wild Oats is a comic strip. The pictures propel the story & u don't always need word balloons.

Absolutely. Word balloons are a very important but *not* essential element in classifying something as comics. Sequential art that tells a story is always the foundation. No words, captions only, word balloons, a mix of all of the above - that's secondary but still obviously important.

I think this thread has exhausted its substantive capability. 893blahblah.gif

Can everyone go back to their respective corners of the sandbox now? sumo.gif

Were you not the individual that missed out on a different copy?

I'm not talking about the substantive nature of the book itself. I think the book is great and would love to own a copy.

I'm disappointed to see what should be such a great thread on a very interesting topic have only intermittent rationale and adult conversation. The majority of time it is childish name-calling between people who I am sure do not normally act that way at their day job or in front of their children.

sign-rantpost.gif

Absolutely. Word balloons are a very important but *not* essential element in classifying something as comics. Sequential art that tells a story is always the foundation. No words, captions only, word balloons, a mix of all of the above - that's secondary but still obviously important.

Arnold,

What you are saying here makes so much sense...too bad it's not a universally excepted concept by all collectors. I'm with you thumbsup2.gif

I'm not talking about the substantive nature of the book itself. I think the book is great and would love to own a copy.

I'm disappointed to see what should be such a great thread on a very interesting topic have only intermittent rationale and adult conversation. The majority of time it is childish name-calling between people who I am sure do not normally act that way at their day job or in front of their children.

sign-rantpost.gif

Mark,

you are so right. This thread has produced some very good and insightful info., but you have to dig thru all alot of garbage and mud slinging to find it. I've been called names I haven't heard since high school...and that was a long time ago for me. In fact, I've been called so many names, once in a while I would respond in kind devil.gif

Hopefully, this thread can continue with a focus on the issues...I think this is the only active post presently addressing the definitions of comic strips, the origins of comic book developement, etc etc. The one good thing surfacing from the disagreements that have been explosive at times, is it shows the passion that we all have for our cherished comics. Maybe we can all start today treating each other with respect, so we can make some headway with the questions at hand....maybe.

Hopefully, this thread can continue with a focus on the issues...I think this is the only active post presently addressing the definitions of comic strips, the origins of comic book developement, etc etc.

And that is a very worthwhile and interesting topic, and perfect for the GA Section. thumbsup2.gif

If this thread can remain civil i will continue to post material for food for thought so those interested can continue their proper comic strip education. We could have been here a long time ago having a serious look-see at 1800s comic strips - there are literally thousands of examples

Here is a comic strip about President Abraham Lincoln from HARPER'S WEEKLY March 9 1861. Um, notice panel structure and the use of word balloons as well as text below each panel - all this stuff was known for a very long time - creators chose to use or not to use

- and this is not the only sample using word balloons in comic strips prior to RF Outcault's parrot comic strip from 1896

Harpers-FLIGHT-OF-LINCOLN.jpg

Not just word balloons, but the FLIGHT of Abe Lincoln in a CAPE and DISGUISE!!!!

You may have found just the right strip to convince some of the skeptics here.

Who's the artist?

Jack

If this thread can remain civil i will continue to post material for food for thought so those interested can continue their proper comic strip education. We could have been here a long time ago having a serious look-see at 1800s comic strips - there are literally thousands of examples

Here is a comic strip about President Abraham Lincoln from HARPER'S WEEKLY March 9 1861. Um, notice panel structure and the use of word balloons as well as text below each panel - all this stuff was known for a very long time - creators chose to use or not to use

- and this is not the only sample using word balloons in comic strips prior to RF Outcault's parrot comic strip from 1896

Harpers-FLIGHT-OF-LINCOLN.jpg