• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

I met Showcase and his very lovely wife at the grand opening. Unfortunately didn't get a chance to take a picture but enjoyed the conversation very much!!

Fortunately Showcase's mentor showed up afterwards to pose with ye ole Oldbuck!

1388055-Beirbohm.jpg

Thanks Mark...great speaking to you too. The Geppi Museum party was a huge success...packed with the "who's who" of the comic world. ( Don't know how I made the guest list tongue.gif ). Bob looks like $20,000 in this suit, doesn't he? 27_laughing.gif

So that's what the pistol packing sweet talking Bob looks like..........hopefully we can all be as cheerful after 50 years in comics 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gifpoke2.gif

Nice pics, and as you can see, Obadiah has taken his place along with many others in their proper context as part of the very long and fascinating evolution of the comics medium. Our comic book library features everything from a 1500s German broadsheet to Obadiah and Jeremiah to the Yellow Kid and the Spider to BLBs and then those old familiar comics from Action #1 right up to Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and beyond.

Nice pics, and as you can see, Obadiah has taken his place along with many others in their proper context as part of the very long and fascinating evolution of the comics medium. Our comic book library features everything from a 1500s German broadsheet to Obadiah and Jeremiah to the Yellow Kid and the Spider to BLBs and then those old familiar comics from Action #1 right up to Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and beyond.

And it doesn't hurt for "Provenance" to have your personal copy of a historic document displayed in a prominent museum showing. 893applaud-thumb.gif consider this gentle and kind Showcase 4poke2.gif

we should give Showcase a moment to gloat! "How do you like dem apples!!!"

I appreciate you giving me "my moment", but it's really not necessary. My moment came when these 3 books came into my posession last year. The fact that a copy is in the Geppi Museum is very rewarding and an honor, but the biggest reward is being the owner of such a historic comic treasure......3 times over. What I'm trying to say is, I am a classic example of someone who is collecting what he loves.

America's 1st comic book - The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck. Brother Jonathan 1st printing dated September 14th, 1842. Shown in it's new custom archival display case, built by a nationally recognized conservator who's main client is the Smithsonian.

1389131-oldbuck005%282%29.jpg

1389131-oldbuck005(2).jpg.d19828c260c2cfe06dd9086d1296c15e.jpg

I met Showcase and his very lovely wife at the grand opening. Unfortunately didn't get a chance to take a picture but enjoyed the conversation very much!!

Fortunately Showcase's mentor showed up afterwards to pose with ye ole Oldbuck!

1388055-Beirbohm.jpg

Thanks Mark...great speaking to you too. The Geppi Museum party was a huge success...packed with the "who's who" of the comic world. ( Don't know how I made the guest list tongue.gif ). Bob looks like $20,000 in this suit, doesn't he? 27_laughing.gif

More like 40K!

poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

okay... the moment's officially over.

Something had to give...It was getting all maudlin...

wink.gif

I had to look this word up, but once I did : sign-funnypost.gif

maudlin: foolishly or mawkishly sentimental because of drunkenness. ( this is exact wording from Dictionary.com ).

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go look up the word "mawkishly"

(and no comic books from 1842 either) gossip.gif

At the end of the grand opening party on Thursday night, the Geppi Museum handed out a very nice hardbound book entitled 'Pop Culture with Character', which includes highlights of some of the museums pieces, and the historical signifigance of the collection broken down into categories and time periods.

Here are 2 quotes from page 230, which intorduces the Pioneer age and the Victorian age:

"While it may seem suprising to some that comic books were being published at this time, very early art panels from these eras clearly illustrate the beginnings of the modern comic book as we know it today"

"The Victorian Age began in the United States when the American humor periodical, Brother Jonathan, printed the 40-page, 195 panel graphic novel The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck by Rodolphe Topffer as a special extra dated September 14th, 1842."

My point is, apparently Beerbohm and myself are not the only 2 people on the planet with the belief and resolve that it all started for the US back in 1842... The Geppi Museum is backed by some of the industry's brightest people and some of the most comprehensive research ever compiled on the history of comic books, comic strips, and comic characters.

Yup, he's right. Wasn't just written out of thin air. We checked and everything. smile.gif

I'm not saying it's not an ancestor of the comic book, but that doesn't make it a comic itself. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm with the Doc on this thumbsup2.gif