• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help on CGC Restored grade Hulk #1

6 posts in this topic

I would like some input on a restored grade Incredible Hulk #1 (5/62) UK Edition comic book that has been graded CGC at apparent 2.5 G+ slight (A) with moderate amount of color touch on cover (grade is very unfair in my opinion, this book looks fantastic).

Yes, I said UK as in United Kingdom. In all my years I have not seen a UK Edition of this book, but it has been authenticated by the CGC as a first origional printing.

What I want to know is: has anyone seen or heard of UK edition printings of this book? If you have, then tell me what the differences are.

I would like a reasonable estimate as to the number of these books (both US and non-US editions) that are possibly in existence.

Input (especially constuctive) will be greatly apreciated. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The key difference is the price, it's in UK $ not US $. Also, I don't think it's possible to estimate circulation for UK issues of that era as I believe they only have circulation #'s (if they even have any) for total print run.

Brian

Please explain to me Marvel Chipping (I think I know what you're talking about but I want to make sure). I'm just now getting into the really old comic books so I'm not that familiar with the Gold and Silver Age lingo.

So are pence copies a common occurance, or are they harder to find? Would a UK Edition of a book make a difference with the current value? Even though I have just started buying the older books, I have been looking around for the Silver Age books for quite a few years and I just have never come across a UK edition of an older comic book. Guess I've lived a sheltered life. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

UK editions were printed at the same time as the US versions but with a different price logo. These were then shipped to the UK for sale over there, they are IDENTICAL to the US versions except for the price.

As for Marvel chipping, this happens along the right edge of the book and is dispalyed as a series of small nicks, tears and sometimes pieces missing. It was the result of poor (blunt) equipment Marvel were using to cut the books. It occured during production.

You seem to be right Odin88, your observance of pence copies having seemingly less problems with the chipping might be a correct one because this UK copy of Hulk #1 that I have hasn't any signs of Marvel chipping at all. The corners and edges are nice and sharp, with the only restoration being a little color touch on the cover, I'm surprised It didn't get a higher grade.The CGC was way to harsh on this book especially considering it's 43 years old! shocked.gif