• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another 35 cent variant question....

8 posts in this topic

Thanks for all who answered my previous question, I find this stuff fascinating. Now another question. This one is a bit more specific. I've followed the various recent auctions on Ebay, but it is still hard for me to tell. I could pick up a 35 cent variant in VF condition in the 50-60 dollar range. I could also pick up some 30 cent variants in VG condition for about 20 a pop. Do these prices sound fair to you? I know I didn't mention titles (none of them are super-rare, all super heroes) but I am not buying these to flip, I would just like to have a few in my collection (mostly to show my friends who think I'm nuts when I even mention these books) and I want to make sure that these prices sound fair. What do you variant experts (Flying Donut, DarthDiesel, Lighthouse, any others I am forgetting) think? Would you do it? And please, if you are not a fan of these variants, I know what you think, I don't need to hear it again. Thanks

The 35 cent variants are definitely worth that price. The VG 30's, though, are a bit steep at that price for the avg superhero issues. The only one's I would pay that much (and in some cases more) for in VG are Ironman 89, the Jungle Actions, the reprint issues, the Fury's, the X-men, the Westerns, and the Horror books. I would hold out for VF's for that price. You WILL find them.

I'd pass on the 30 centers, unless they're some of the tougher superhero ones (Master of Kung Fu 39, Iron Man 89, FF 169, Avengers 147 and 150). That price for a 35 center is tremendous, I'd jump all over it.

At VF for the 30 cent variants, $20-30 is a fair price. Look for lower priced books ($5- $10 if you just want an "example" to show your friends, ie. Howard the Duck 3 which is even easy to find in that range for NM - there are probably more HTD 3 variants than total combined issues of Origin 1 and Wolverine Ltd series 1 on the CGC census ). The price you mentioned for any VF 35 center is an absolute steal. Some of the collectors on here pay over $100 for the rarer 35 cent variants in VG. The more common ones, like ASM 169-172, go in the $30 - $50 range.

I'll have to relist my cheapies (30 cent variants) for you since they didn't sell first 2 times around frown.gif

Thanks for the feedback guys. I ended up getting the 35 center (Dr. Strange 24) and a Marvel Spotlight 30 center. Among other things (Charlton Bullseye...yay!). Am looking forward to getting these in the mail. Ah...anticipation cloud9.gif