• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC doing themselves a disservice?

Do you buy as many slabs as you used to, yes or no?  

531 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy as many slabs as you used to, yes or no?

104 posts in this topic

Mark recently made a post that got me thinking. No matter how one feels about a given topic, or no matter if you think CGC has every right to take the fith on a good many topics.

In your opinion has their silence done them more good or harm? I was just wondering if anyone else has altered their collecting habits based on what they read and see here. I will say, pesonally I dont buy slabs much anymore because of wanting to read the books I am buying . But SCS, NDP, PCS among other things have left me reticent when it comes to buying slabs.

A show of hands please. If you answer the poll, please make a reply below waving ayour hand hi.gif so we know this poll is not just shill filled.

BTW, This is not intended to bash CGC , but rather to show them how everyone feels here.

Whenever I make a poll, I always forget to ask people to make a post with a hi.gif saying they answered the poll. Because I have no idea if the poll is filled with shill results, or if it is actually board members with something to say.

How bout it.

Everybody who answered give a

hi.gif

?

I picked restore the Census (search engine) and publish the rules so everyone knows whats on the up and up, so that small collectors have the exact same services made available to them as bigger collectors.

I think that changing the Census search engine was the most blatantly anti-collector move they've made other than the creation of PCS.

They threw the baby out with the bath water.

hi.gif

I found the most interesting question to be the last one. Those in the 'know' generally have a much different view on a product then Joe Public. As with most compainies and forms of entertainement you advertise and migrate towards the 'needs' to Joe Public as they make up such a vast majority of the business.

I'd rather smoke crack.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I was going to put that as an option, along with a few Newt options. But resisted the urge.

Sorry, no crack for you

Ze-

hi.gif

I only have bought 1 slabbed book because I got a good deal on it and have only submitted one book to be slabbed (which I don't have back yet).

On a whole, slabbing is good for reselling, but I wouldn't really slab stuff that I'm keeping as the expense doesn't justify it to me.

I'm also one of those that does not consider pressing to be restoration, but rather conservation. I've always kept all my personal books laying flat and I rotate them around every few years so they kind of get pressed on their own.

Obviously Ze-man by your one-sided pressing stance in your poll you feel that pressing is restoration. I see no need "disclose" something on a slab label that many top dealers and collectors in the industry feel is nothing more than a conservation technique.

The anti-pressing group seems to want to be able to have some sort of bragging rights over their books and want to treat pressed books like PLOD's. I got news for ya, people have been directly or indirectly pressing books since man first put pen to paper.

I know others have mentioned that the Church books were in a way "pressed" which is true. Would all of those have to be disclosed on the label as well?

If you can't tell the difference between a book that has been pressed by deliberate means, and one that has been stored flat under the weight of other things or books, what the hell difference does it make?

I guess to sum this up, why can't people just be happy that they have a really nice looking example of a piece of history (sometimes an important one) instead of trying to create some big controversy all the time and turning it into some huge saga.

To quote William Shatner, "Get a life!"