• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC doing themselves a disservice?

Do you buy as many slabs as you used to, yes or no?  

531 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy as many slabs as you used to, yes or no?

104 posts in this topic

I'd rather smoke crack.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I was going to put that as an option, along with a few Newt options. But resisted the urge.

Sorry, no crack for you

Ze-

It's probably for the best. Crack kills and all that.

I almost forgot... hi.gif

I had two options.

Label a book as pressed if it was KNOWN to be pressed (I did not say restored)

OR

Have CGC admit pressing is a form of restoration.

Or you could have picked two completely diufferent options, they were only there if you felt they best represented how you felt.

My opinions have nothing to do with the poll. I thought I did a good job of trying to give people both sides to pick from. Pressing was not the reason for the poll. Just one of the many issues.

And to answer your question directly,

I guess to sum this up, why can't people just be happy that they have a really nice looking example of a piece of history (sometimes an important one) instead of trying to create some big controversy all the time and turning it into some huge saga.

Because some people are concerned about the books themselves, some people dont like the people doing the pressing for profit game. And some dont like how the company is allowing it to take place. We all have different slants on the topic. Keep you head in the sand if you like, does not bother me in the least. But dont try and tell me how I am supposed to feel.

k?, better now?

Ze-

hi.gif

I only have bought 1 slabbed book because I got a good deal on it and have only submitted one book to be slabbed (which I don't have back yet).

On a whole, slabbing is good for reselling, but I wouldn't really slab stuff that I'm keeping as the expense doesn't justify it to me.

I'm also one of those that does not consider pressing to be restoration, but rather conservation. I've always kept all my personal books laying flat and I rotate them around every few years so they kind of get pressed on their own.

Obviously Ze-man by your one-sided pressing stance in your poll you feel that pressing is restoration. I see no need "disclose" something on a slab label that many top dealers and collectors in the industry feel is nothing more than a conservation technique.

The anti-pressing group seems to want to be able to have some sort of bragging rights over their books and want to treat pressed books like PLOD's. I got news for ya, people have been directly or indirectly pressing books since man first put pen to paper.

I know others have mentioned that the Church books were in a way "pressed" which is true. Would all of those have to be disclosed on the label as well?

If you can't tell the difference between a book that has been pressed by deliberate means, and one that has been stored flat under the weight of other things or books, what the hell difference does it make?

I guess to sum this up, why can't people just be happy that they have a really nice looking example of a piece of history (sometimes an important one) instead of trying to create some big controversy all the time and turning it into some huge saga.

To quote William Shatner, "Get a life!"

Maybe it has something to do with wanting books that haven't been structurally manipulated for profit.

Maybe you like being duped. I don't.

And please get your facts straight before bringing the stacking of books into a pressing discussion. Apples & oranges

I'm happy to continue buying slabs, but I'm not prepared to pay massive premiums over raw.

I also won't buy any of what I consider the 'artificial grades) > 9.8 unless they are a stupidly good deal (ie 9.6 prices)

hi.gif

Do you buy as many slabs as you used to, yes or no?

Yes, I buy more raw books than slabbed books, but the ratio/rate has remained pretty constant over the years. However, with my collection maturing and the availability of nice raw books decreasing, I imagine the ratio of slabbed books will increase in the future.

Does CGC's lack of direct communication affect how you buy or dont buy their product?

No, because if I have a question, I call CGC. I've spoken with Steve several times when "issues" I was concerned about came up, and we were able to amicably reconcile them each and every time.

If you could change one thing CGC did, or did not do. What would it be?

Publish definitive rules that apply to everyone, not just the "you know who's" - I don't believe for one second that BSD's get better grades on their books, but BSD's should not have access to different services than offered to everyone else (PCS, "other" services, and the never-substantiated in-house pressing rumors which I am still up in the air about)

Has your faith in CGC been shaken enough as to never be repaired?..or is there still hope?

The preferential treatment issue noted above lowers CGC in my eyes from where it once was, but as TomMurnane once told me after I kidded him about posting yet another slabbed book he had just bought - "What do you want me to do, quit collecting?"

This is just a hobby for me, so I don't get too worked up about CGC's short-comings (which far outweigh buying from Joe Shmoe on ebay). thumbsup2.gif

I think that changing the Census search engine was the most blatantly anti-collector move they've made other than the creation of PCS.

They threw the baby out with the bath water.

Were you aware that I totally disagreed with this? 27_laughing.gif

Here's the most recent thread discussing this issue, including Steve Borock's comments regarding the reasoning behind the change. In a nutshell, my opinion on this is that "...when I submit 20 books, 10 of which I plan to sell, 10 of which I plan to keep, it's nobody's business but mine what the 10 keepers are, what they graded at, etc.,."

A CGC end-user (buying slabbed books) will probably see absolutely no reason why they should not be allowed to look up my submittals, but I would imagine that the vast majority of CGC's customers (submitters) don't want others to know what they submitted, what they have, etc.,. sumo.gif

Yes, I remember reading that. But I would trade privacy on matters of this kind in a second for the ability to track criminals like Ewert.

The search engine existed as it was for years and I don't recall a single post on this board complaining about it. Did you? Got some links?

You do realize that the outing of Jason Ewert would have been near impossible with the system now in place. I think your position is incredibly shortsighted and self-centered.

I also don't EVER recall a public discussion on these board of a persons submissions based on the type of search previously possible, unless it was to uncover something like the Ewert debacle. Or of questionable resubs. Those type of inquires are great for the collecting community.

I think it's hysterical that on one hand you'll say the following:

"This is just a hobby for me, so I don't get too worked up about CGC's short-comings..."

but you'll turn the issue of the search-engine into a MAJOR RIGHT-TO-PRIVACY ISSUE.

You sir, are full of krap!

27_laughing.gif