• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions from a GA rookie

23 posts in this topic

1. What does "grab a cigar mean"?

2. What does "pre-code" mean and when was that period?

3. Is the GA considered anything with a 10 cents cover price?

I may have other questions in time. Thanks in adavance for the help!

First, welcome to the fun and exciting world of GA collecting!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

To answer your questions:

1. Nothing outside of this forum. Here, it means to kick back, relax, and look at the pretty pictures.

2. "Pre-code" means books published without the comics code seal of approval. The code was started in 1954 - here's a good summary.

3. Not necessarily...many of the early SA comics (FF #1) have 10-cent cover prices. Many people refer to the 1950's as the "Atomic Age", but there really is no definitive date cutoff for GA.

3. Not necessarily...many of the early SA comics (FF #1) have 10-cent cover prices. Many people refer to the 1950's as the "Atomic Age", but there really is no definitive date cutoff for GA.

Yes, that's a thornier question that it seems. If you consider the start of the SA with the October 1956 Showcase # 4, then everything below is fair game for the GA forum but there is quite a distinction in collectors between the Golden Age a.k.a. the Heroic Age and the later Atomic Age who arrived after Super-Hero started to slowing disappear from comic books post WWII.

Yet, you could also slice the era differently, for example, I view books between the advent of the Code (1954) to the expansion of the SA (late late 50's / early 60's) as separate from their Pre-Code brethren.

Welcome to the GA board! hi.gif

GA books are an incredibly fun and diverse universe. We love 'em! And as you'll soon discover, they will also become the black hole of your disposable income. Take time to look around and pick out the specific black hole that interests you the most. thumbsup2.gif

1. Nothing outside of this forum. Here, it means to kick back, relax, and look at the pretty pictures.

I always thought of it as a proud dad who's just acquired a new bundle of joy, passing out cigars.

Welcome to the GA board! hi.gif

GA books are an incredibly fun and diverse universe. We love 'em! And as you'll soon discover, they will also become the black hole of your disposable income. Take time to look around and pick out the specific black hole that interests you the most. thumbsup2.gif

Ahh yes, there is a GA black hole for everyone isn't there? tongue.gif

I always thought of it as a proud dad who's just acquired a new bundle of joy, passing out cigars.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hopefully I'll pass a few out in the near future! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Congrats!

Oops...I meant for comics, not kids. foreheadslap.gif

Our litter is full! 27_laughing.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Don't forget to share the books as they come in then. thumbsup2.gif

Roger that...already got a little catching up to do in that regard! yay.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Don't forget to share the books as they come in then. thumbsup2.gif

Roger that...already got a little catching up to do in that regard! yay.gif

Plenty of LB Cole to make October jealous I hope devil.gif

1. What does "grab a cigar mean"?

2. What does "pre-code" mean and when was that period?

I may have other questions in time. Thanks in adavance for the help!

1.You DO have to have an actual cigar to participate,although you are not recquired to light it,or to inhale(as per the Surgeon General)..

2. Books published before the advent of the Comics Code Authority seal of approval.

3.A golden age comic(with a FEW exceptions)must be at least 52 pages in length(usually 1952 and earlier).The comic should be "fat".If it is not,it is not golden age,despite the protestations of others,irregardless of how logical their case may be.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Oh.one more thing.A golden age comic is required by law to contain at least one story with excellent art by an UNKNOWN artist whose identity will NEVER be verified confused-smiley-013.gif.GOD BLESS...

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm not a big collector by any means, but I ran across some 10 cent cover books (from a friends collection) and became intrigued!!

I will definitely "lurk" in the GA area a lot more going forward!

Thanks again!

thumbsup2.gif

What exactly do you normally collect?If you're looking to pick up a few golden age books for your collection,I would highly reccommend it.Nothing else like 'em.GOD BLESS...

The bulk of my collection is Amazing Spider-Man. I am also starting to collect original art. A friend of mine acquired a bunh of 10 cent cover comics and I thought they were pretty cool. I jsut assumed 10 centers were all GA, but now I know better. I ddint realize SA went so far back (1950's).

The bulk of my collection is Amazing Spider-Man. I am also starting to collect original art. A friend of mine acquired a bunh of 10 cent cover comics and I thought they were pretty cool. I jsut assumed 10 centers were all GA, but now I know better. I ddint realize SA went so far back (1950's).

An invaluable tool for someone contemplating the golden age would be the Gerber Photojournals.They're pricey(maybe $100 for both volumesof the golden age)but worth every penny.GOD BLESS...

p.s. which 10 centers were they?

An invaluable tool for someone contemplating the golden age would be the Gerber Photojournals.They're pricey(maybe $100 for both volumesof the golden age)but worth every penny.GOD BLESS...

p.s. which 10 centers were they?

Off hand I don't remember too many titles. I know there were quite a few DELL comics - Howdy Doody, Mickey Mouse, Roy Rodgers, Tarzan, etc... not sure if these are very collectible. Are they?

I think there was an Air Boy comic (I think thats the title), there were a bunch of war and horror stuff, but they might have been from the early 60's. I'll be meeting up with him next week and report more.