• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How strong is the back issue market?

59 posts in this topic

'House - out of my 6K comics (and I had 7.5K until yesterday when I sent FD about 1.5K) I own at a high estimate 75 cgc books. That's 1.25% of my current collection. If you use the 7.5 number that's an even 1%. Yup, for every 1 cgc book I have, I have 99 raw books. The back issue market isn't with the CGC sales, it's with the raw books. On a dollar basis it might be skewed because of all the top dollars paid for cgc books, but on a collector basis it is with the raw collectors. I'm finding that there is quite a robust market even for SA bats that are "well loved" but still collectible in the G - VG range.

DAM

Pull out any two Overstreets five years apart and direct me to the huge drop in low-grade Golden Age super-hero prices.

That's a trick question, as everyone knows Bob doesn't lower prices on ANY super-hero book, no matter how low market prices are.

On a dollar basis it might be skewed because of all the top dollars paid for cgc books, but on a collector basis it is with the raw collectors. I'm finding that there is quite a robust market even for SA bats that are "well loved" but still collectible in the G - VG range.

You're correct there, and I also believe the "collector" market will thrive many years into the future.

Unfortunately (for some) few -if any- collectors will pay speculator prices...

1) Have you been collecting consistently through your life?

No...

2) If not, when have you left collecting and then come back?

If the answers to #2 coincide with boom and bust periods, then you're like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, destined to live through the same circumstances time and time again...

It absolutely coincided with boom and bust periods... but mine not that of the marketplace. I virtually stopped collecting from 1987 to 1994, because my disposable income was too low to keep up a steady commitment to it.

3) Look in the mirror and ask "what brought you back?"

Once I had disposable cash again I made up for lost time... The love never went away. And I clearly did not come back for a "speculator boom"...

Once I had disposable cash again I made up for lost time... The love never went away. And I clearly did not come back for a "speculator boom"...

I don't think many do, but the "hotness" of the market does bring back the Johnny-come-lately's in droves, as it's "cool and lucrative to collect comics again". This is a big drawing card, and many don't even understand the pattern.

Once price falter then those same people scurry away like rats, shaking their head and wondering what possessed them to buy into the latest fad.

Unfortunately (for some) few -if any- collectors will pay speculator prices...

One caveat - I think that there will always be a collector who wants the top graded book. I think that the guy who paid $19K for a Hulk 181 is a fool, but the fact is that he paid that money for that book. I do think that there are collectors who want the top graded book, but I personally do not try to be in that circle (for the most part).

I agree with you about the collectors who are into comics for their literary and artistic value who want to enjoy the stories, regardless of condition (hence the G-VG books).

DAM

You're correct there, and I also believe the "collector" market will thrive many years into the future

I once sold a comic for $10 in the mid-80's

Consider this my formal announcement that I am selling off my entire store inventory, auction to begin next week at a penny with no reserve. I will also be liquidating my personal collection, including all price variants, Cherry Poptart comics, and security footage of the Goth Princess.

After reading the above two statements from JC, I think it is clear... The world is coming to an end...

I WILL SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME (until I feel the need to say it again).

It all depends on what price you buy it for and the price you sell it for.

Example:

Book X sells for $1,000 (today on eBay). Twenty years from now you can sell Book X for $2,000. That would be bad return on your investement.

On the other hand, Book X sells for $1,000 (today on eBay) but you pick up a copy for $700 (maybe a no reserve auction that ends at a bad time). Twenty years from now you sell Book X for $3,000 (because they are now making a movie based on the characters in Book X). That would be good return on your investement.

The way I approach collecting is to look for bargains on those books that I know I can find most of the time. When the book is very hard to find, then I will pay more than I should (from an investment point of view), because I don't know when I will have a chance to get that book again.

Plus, Joe is right on at least one thing. There is a "GLASS CEILING" effect that occurs, which means as prices get higher, there are less and less people that can afford the book. In most cases, this also mean there is less supply (but that probably isn't the case with Silver-Age books). 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

After reading the above two statements from JC, I think it is clear... The world is coming to an end...

Laugh all you want, but I will laugh last.

Picking the HG/CGC market to crash is like shooting fish in a barrel.

I WILL SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME (until I feel the need to say it again).

It all depends on what price you buy it for and the price you sell it for.

What are you talking about?

My original post was this:

After reading about who has the best collection both for dealers and stores I wanted to pose a question to you all:

What if tomorrow Metropolis (I use them because IMO they have the most valuable inventory and one of the best dealer collections of key books) had their own little Heritage-esque auction with $1 starting bids and no reserves?

What do you think the effects would be on the market as a whole? Would the market be able to support all those books with a minimal decline in price, or would the Metropolis sale just be the spark that ignites a whole fire of selling as prices reach new all time lows with some of these bronze and even SA books going back to their original cover prices?

Thoughts?

DAM

And just to use your examples - if you bought a book for $1K now and sold it for $2K in 20 years you would have a CAGR of 3.7% - that's more than a 10 year treasury pays right now, maybe not such a bad investment after all?

DAM

And just to use your examples - if you bought a book for $1K now and sold it for $2K in 20 years you would have a CAGR of 3.7% - that's more than a 10 year treasury pays right now, maybe not such a bad investment after all?

Nope, not if the dealer guarantees the $2K price, or he'll buy it back. The reason you go for safe investments is the safety, otherwise much higher returns are available in only slightly less-risky areas.

At the present time, buying comics for investment purposes is about the dumbest thing anyone could do with their money. If you must own the books, then put your cash in bonds for 5 years, and then buy up all the bargain basement books then.

Are comics a better investment than an old movie stub? Probably.

So you really think comics are a better investment than my receipt to "Finding Nemo"? You're getting soft in your old age CI!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Do we really need to continue this thread, or can we rely on the last fourteen thousand, six hundred and forty-two posts CI has made regarding the future state of the comic book market? But since it's inevitable Joe, please let me know when I can buy 12/15/20-cent CGC 9.4 Spidey's, FF's, Hulks, and X-men at today's NM guide prices, ok?

But since it's inevitable Joe, please let me know when I can buy 12/15/20-cent CGC 9.4 Spidey's, FF's, Hulks, and X-men at today's NM guide prices, ok?

You got a 3-5 years to wait?

If so, let the speculators drown. If not, then pay dearly for your impatience.

Your choice.

3-5 years? I've been collecting for over 20 so I don't see why not! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So you've been collecting 20 years? Since 1983...

Then you know exactly what I'm talking about, but let's keep it hush-hush.. bad for business. Like some guy running ahead and scaring the ducks on a hunt.

But since it's inevitable Joe, please let me know when I can buy 12/15/20-cent CGC 9.4 Spidey's, FF's, Hulks, and X-men at today's NM guide prices, ok?

You got a 3-5 years to wait?

If so, let the speculators drown. If not, then pay dearly for your impatience.

Your choice.

Are we going to have to listen to you predicting the end of the world for another 3-5 years. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

I'm afraid it's true...CI/Joe/?? is relentless! 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

This is Joe on the right, the rest of the population of the 3rd rock from the sun on the left ----> makepoint.gif