• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q: Does the death of an artist cause a jump in prices?

9 posts in this topic

Just wondering. It seems that Kirby's stuff has seen a pretty large increase. I don't know if you can attribute that to him being the 'King' (as in King of Comics' Artists) or the 'King' (as in Elvis, seeing they're both long gone).

When J Buscema, Carl Barks & Charles Schulz passed away, their original b/w artwork or paintings spiked up, especially Peanuts. acclaim.gif

I can imagine on originals. But what about comics featuring popular artists?

I can see some books going up if they were autographed. But I don't know about books (in general) that featured that artist.

Would agree that comics/art/portfolio prints autographed by deceased artists/creators Kirby, Wally Wood, etc. would be more valuable after their passing. Stan the Man is not getting any younger. That is why is Signature Series auctions are doing well.

More importantly... Does the jump of an artist cause a death in prices?

And the answer to that question is YES... tongue.gif

I remember when I found out Gil Kane passed away and my wife was kind enough to tell me that my Daredevil pages just went up in value... Yeah... But so did the 13 I didn't own... frown.gif

More importantly... Does the jump of an artist cause a death in prices?

And the answer to that question is YES... tongue.gif

I remember when I found out Gil Kane passed away and my wife was kind enough to tell me that my Daredevil pages just went up in value... Yeah... But so did the 13 I didn't own... frown.gif

But I am sure that winning that Action #43 has eased all that pain. grin.gif