• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko ASM #31 Complete Interior Artwork - Thoughts?

105 posts in this topic

And here's the conclusion of Harry Osborn's prank on ol' Petey on page 11, which earns him a reprimand from Prof. Warren in his first series appearance:

1396378-SteveDitkoASM31p11.jpg

Both of these pages just arrived in the mail this week. 893applaud-thumb.gif

1396378-SteveDitkoASM31p11.jpg.0881135f7bbacd6bde6485e1ba318383.jpg

I'm not looking to join the lousy naysayers group, but having myself offered some supposedly top stuff over the years (@ the 10k+ level) has taught me how much hot air there is in this hobby. Any of you that haven't played there would be amazed how few are standing after you mention a "real" cash (vs. cash/trade or all trade) on-the-spot price. The hobby pyramid narrows dramatically as to number of players once you cross the $2000/$2500 mark for immediate cash no time payments. Another tier is crossing $5k, where 50-75% of remaining players drop off, crossing $10k means talking to under 10 people. There's a long stretch from $10k to $200k (or whatever).

As always "cash is king" because it offers unlimited opportunity, all other methods are "problematic" due to inherent limitations and so full of "apparent value" bs. Even time payments and credit lines bear hidden (for either the buyer or seller, or both) "time value of money" constraints to be factored in. No special math needed for straight cash on-the-spot.

But I could be alllll wrong!

Great post, as you accrurately put a stamp on the current play of the comic market. The high's of 2002 are well behind us now, and all the good money is either gone, or simply spent.

My take on the book would be $85-115k range. I'm not sure if there's a reserve, but for the seller who obviously wants all is his return at one time, I believe this will be the top range of the final sale price.

The high's of 2002 are well behind us now, and all the good money is either gone, or simply spent.

This I have to disagree with.....there are more deep pocketed mid-30's professional or well off people coming into this hobby on a daily basis. I know first hand because I have sold 3-4 $10k plus pieces in the last year alone to people that only bought comics before or were "just getting into" art. All Cash all at once.

This is fresh cash for the Comic Art market. There is alot of it and more is showing up every day. It is neither gone nor spent.

My take on the book would be $85-115k range. I'm not sure if there's a reserve, but for the seller who obviously wants all is his return at one time, I believe this will be the top range of the final sale price.

What book are you talking about?

If you are referring to the ASM #31 book the top bid for the entire book at once was almost $180K with the juice. The fact that individual page bids passed full book bids by $4-5k was the only reason it did not sell for the $180k number whole. If you are talking about another book I did not pick it up in the post.

Best,

Chris

Here's page 10 - Pete's unforgettable first meeting with Gwen Stacy, who, I repeat, was totally the right girl for him instead of that ditzy ho Mary Jane... blush.gif

1396375-SteveDitkoASM31p10.jpg

that the first appearance of elizabeth montgomery from bewitched? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree with Chris. There is fresh $ in the market for original comic art. I was going to set a buy it now of $4k on my Marshall Rogers Batman art on eBay last week. It hit $5,100 from a new player in the art market. He remitted via PayPal right away. No cashflow problem there. thumbsup2.gif

Here's page 10 - Pete's unforgettable first meeting with Gwen Stacy, who, I repeat, was totally the right girl for him instead of that ditzy ho Mary Jane... blush.gif

that the first appearance of elizabeth montgomery from bewitched? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

Great pages for sure Gene, but it is amazing to note how much Gwen Stacy's appearance changed after Ditko left the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree with Chris. There is fresh $ in the market for original comic art. I was going to set a buy it now of $4k on my Marshall Rogers Batman art on eBay last week. It hit $5,100 from a new player in the art market. He remitted via PayPal right away. No cashflow problem there. thumbsup2.gif

Congratulations Allan smile.gif Any particular use for the dough; buying something else?

cheers

27_laughing.gif

Great pages for sure Gene, but it is amazing to note how much Gwen Stacy's appearance changed after Ditko left the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

check out the booty on Gwen!

Gene, you are my new hero!

Pete's unforgettable first meeting with Gwen Stacy, who, I repeat, was totally the right girl for him instead of that ditzy ho Mary Jane... blush.gif

Uh, Gene, I`m no authority on Spider-Man, but if memory serves, when the two girls were both ALIVE, Peter Parker was going out with Gwen Stacy and MJ was much more of a fringe character. But then she DIED. So it`s not like Peter Parker has had a choice since. gossip.gifpoke2.gif

Pete's unforgettable first meeting with Gwen Stacy, who, I repeat, was totally the right girl for him instead of that ditzy ho Mary Jane... blush.gif

Uh, Gene, I`m no authority on Spider-Man, but if memory serves, when the two girls were both ALIVE, Peter Parker was going out with Gwen Stacy and MJ was much more of a fringe character. But then she DIED. So it`s not like Peter Parker has had a choice since. gossip.gifpoke2.gif

I guess what I'm saying is that they should have killed off MJ, not Gwen. 893whatthe.gif

I guess what I'm saying is that they should have killed off MJ, not Gwen. 893whatthe.gif

But then Kirsten Dunst would`ve had to be a blonde in the movie. tongue.gif

Don't know why I am bothering foreheadslap.gif, cause chances areyou will come back with some lame, "KK, shill, blah, 893blahblah.gif, makepoint.gif blah." comment. But, I guess I do know why I am botheing. Those are some really nice pages, at a good price. I know most people love JRsr, but this early Ditko stuff is a favorite for me. Not going to pay the price to buy it, but it is cool that guys are getting it, and posting up a nice image to share.

So for what it is worth DK, congrats. thumbsup2.gif