• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko ASM #31 Complete Interior Artwork - Thoughts?

105 posts in this topic

Since Mastro is a hot topic, bumping this thread from 10 years ago.

Looks like some of it got scrubbed at some point. I made a post toward the end where I said the seller should have had Romitaman sell the art, rather than Mastronet, since he ended up doing so much better with it. Which prompted a sharp rebuke from a Mastro rep. But hard for him to argue when it looked like Burkey was able to flip all those pages for 2X almost immediately following the auction.

That exchange no longer exists in this thread, for whatever reason. It may have been a separate thread, but pretty sure it was this one.

Anyway, I remember this because as I was still relatively new to the boards, it was interesting to see how much these threads may have been monitored by influential lurkers (and apparently, that's still the case). In digging up this thread, I was hoping to see who that Mastro rep was..."Chris Porter", who's named in the press release in the beginning, rings a bell. Was hoping it was Doug Allen, or one of the other big names, but Mastronet's presence on the boards appears to have been erased. Damn!

I know where Mastro is!

https://www.fbi.gov/chicago/press-releases/2015/former-owner-of-mastro-auctions-sentenced-to-20-months-in-federal-prison-in-shill-bidding-scam

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=40088

Seems like a pretty light sentence and fine. Will he actually serve the full 20 months?

On 1/20/2007 at 2:07 PM, delekkerste said:

Here's the third (and final) page that I got in the Mastro auction in August. It's page 8 of ASM #31, featuring the very first appearance of Gwen Stacy and Harry Osborn:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=230873&GSub=31102

Gene

1594797-SteveDitkoASM31p8.jpg

c1594797-SteveDitkoASM31p8.jpg.6c0615cf5cb60862299f10e92d934d9e.jpg

Thats an awesome page to have Gene.   Cant believe I didnt notice it before. 

21 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

I love the moody panels two and three.  Ditko was a master at that.  :cloud9:

He was. And I love the fact that there are so many words crammed into that page and yet it does not look in the least bit over crowded. A master at work. I miss that kind of story telling. 

Its true. It looks like Ditko left the top 1/4 - 1/3 of all his panels for whatever lettering was needed. Plenty of space for the copy/dialogue, but allowed for plenty of goings on unfettered below it.