• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective #16 scam?

25 posts in this topic

Auction Link

Zero feedback seller, only takes cashier's checks or money orders. The image appears identical to one from a 2004 Heritage auction:

Heritage link,

as does the written description.

So I say it's probably a scam. However, if it is, I definitely don't like the trend towards non-key books being used as scam bait. It's so easy to spot the fake Action #1's, but it can be a challenge to find the scammed lower profile books.

I would think that experienced buyers would stay clear of zero FB sellers who only take MO or checks, no?

Definitely. But if it had been a hijacked account, I might've placed a low-ball bid, even with the MO stipulation. They were one refinement away from pulling it off, and even so it looks like they're relatively close to walking away with someone's $300.

It's funny that most buyers can figure out this is a scam. However, there always seems to be some bidders on auctions such as this. Maybe people just think "Well it's probably a scam, but just think if it's legit and I win a Tec 16 for $400."

Check out the ebay auctions ending today for NM copies of Action Comics #10 & #13. There are bidders on both.

Brian, that's too funny b/c I was just in the process of posting about those. What's up with these two auctions?

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcubangymrat10QQhtZ-1

There are some legit bidders vying for these. I don't get it... confused-smiley-013.gif

HEY, THAT'S MY ACTION 13, STAY AWAY FROM IT!!

------------------------------------------

I would say it pays to check it out in some cases. See if the seller can email you pictures of the book from different angles, insides, etc. You never know.

Trying to collect these early Actions is really taking its toll on you, Matt. You used to be such a nice quiet lad...

Trying to collect these early Actions is really taking its toll on you, Matt. You used to be such a nice quiet lad...

893censored-thumb.gif Must .. not ... let ... mattbird win my grail. Must bid and deal with consequences later.

I thought you were looking for a 'low grade or restored copy'? This one is NM. These are not the droids you are looking for.

Hmmm, suddenly I have no interest in this book. This is not the book I am looking for. I'll move along ... move along.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERMAN-ACTION-COMI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Man alive! 893whatthe.gif

If you really want a laugh, look at the seller's answers to questions at the bottom of the auction. Would that satisfy any of you to the point of spending $3500 with a zero-feedback seller?

Good job.

I can't believe guy with over 1000 feedbacks, 100% positive, would make that kind of mistake. But the lure of those early Actions is strong, and like we said before, it's a lot harder to pick up on scams that are being done on non mega-keys.

This is 100% sign-offtopic.gif (apologies) but hopefully no one has any deep attachments to this thread... tongue.gif

For the last few days, I've been totally unable to post on the forums unless I use the "quick reply" function. The "post-and-preview" function no longer seems to work, and I can't start any new threads since quick reply is not an option...this is true on multiple computers here, and across multiple browsers. Matt (mattbird) who also works in my office is having the same problem. I can post & preview normally only if I use my wife's PC laptop...maybe it's a Mac-specific problem? Has anyone else run into this? confused.gif