• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective #16 scam?

25 posts in this topic

I just got lucky, I won an auction on ebay for a Superman #30 for $230.00 in VG condition. The seller had only 250 or so feedbacks with a few negs. But if you gamble sometimes you come away with a great book at a cheap price.....It also helped that I only lived 50 miles from the guy.

Another lucky win was for a Batman #21 for only $150 in VG condition from a seller who only had 30 or so feedbacks.

I think I may be a little lucky though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130006055512&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

Check out this auction for a FN condition copy of a Superman #1. Buy out is $20,000.

The seller is obviously a scumbag crook, I sent him several emails for additional scans and if I won the book if I could pick it up at a mutual location such as a bank where we can exchange book for money.....no reply. I hope no one gets lured into this auction.

Hello all...

I too have emailed the seller with no response (much the same scenario of picking book up, cash exchange, etc). The item description does mention "moderate" restoration to the outside of the book, but still very suspect.

rick

ps-not 5 minutes after I posted this, I got a response from seller...sent a follow up set of questions

Scam. That Supes #1 auction was for the copy Esquirecomics had previously sold (an unrestored 5.5). Blow up both scans and see they are the same book. the ebay seller just cropped the CGC holder out.

Esquire's Supes #1

He also must have retouched the damage at the top staple. But it does look MIGHTY similar which is MIGHTY fishy.