• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Ebay bidders certainly have nerve

93 posts in this topic

Hi guys. Not a problem here, but I had probably one of the strangest experiences on Ebay in all of my 6+ years of having an account there.

So, last night I place this listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-2...1QQcmdZViewItem for a lot of 38 mostly 80s Amazing Spideys. This morning I get an Ebay message (email) from a potential bidder asking me about one of the books in the lot. He spotted in the group picture a little bit of yellow on the cover of issue #292 and inquired about if it had certain markings on it making it a 2nd print. I hadn't noticed anything different about this book so I checked (I didn't even know there was a 2nd print of this issue). Anyway, I looked at the book, and sure enough it was a 2nd print edition. Apparently the cover scheme is different than a first print, and he noticed this. At the same time, he asked if it IS a 2nd print, he'd like me to remove it from the listing, and sell it to him for $5 plus $4.10 Priority shipping.

I then e-mailed the guy verifying that he was right, it's a 2nd print, but that the auction already had a bid on it, and I didn't want to change it anyway just to sell one little $5 book. I also answered him with another e-mail through Ebay so that it could be added to the listing so that other interested bidders would also realize that it was a 2nd print. I told him if he wanted the book to just bid on the lot, keep what he wanted, and sell the rest. anyway, I thought that the case was closed after that.

Then.... I check my e-mail from work and I get another e-mail from this same guy stating that the one bid on the lot was HIS, that he would cancel his bid, and that I could then easily revise my listing and take out the notation that this issue was included (note the Q/A on the bottom about that issue was non removable) so that he could then buy it. At this point I was getting a little annoyed and figured I'd e-mail him later and just tell him again that I wasn't interested in changing the listing, but I had not had the chance to even do this because.......

The next time I check my e-mail I see a bid cancellation notice on this listing. Apparently the guy decided on his own that that I would take his offer, so he cancelled his bid so that I could revise the listing. But, that's not all. At the same time I see that I've received a PayPal payment for $9.10 from this guy. He was somehow able to find my PayPal ID and make this payment. He decided that I would remove this book from the listing, HE decided then how much I would sell it for, HE then decided how much and how I would ship it, and HE was then forcing me to go in and alter the listing. Of all the nerve. He also specified very clearly along with payment just how to package the book for shipment. blush.gif and blush.gif again!

Sure, you can say I should have refunded the payment and tell the guy to go take a hike. But I figured that this (I assume a kid or teenager or at least very anal young adult) had to have this book SO BAD that I thought what the heck, I changed the damn listing and he can have his damn book. Hey, I'm easy, but c'mon, that's kind of odd behavior from a bidder, don'tcha' think? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi guys. Not a problem here, but I had probably one of the strangest experiences on Ebay in all of my 6+ years of having an account there.

So, last night I place this listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-2...1QQcmdZViewItem for a lot of 38 mostly 80s Amazing Spideys. This morning I get an Ebay message (email) from a potential bidder asking me about one of the books in the lot. He spotted in the group picture a little bit of yellow on the cover of issue #292 and inquired about if it had certain markings on it making it a 2nd print. I hadn't noticed anything different about this book so I checked (I didn't even know there was a 2nd print of this issue). Anyway, I looked at the book, and sure enough it was a 2nd print edition. Apparently the cover scheme is different than a first print, and he noticed this. At the same time, he asked if it IS a 2nd print, he'd like me to remove it from the listing, and sell it to him for $5 plus $4.10 Priority shipping.

I then e-mailed the guy verifying that he was right, it's a 2nd print, but that the auction already had a bid on it, and I didn't want to change it anyway just to sell one little $5 book. I also answered him with another e-mail through Ebay so that it could be added to the listing so that other interested bidders would also realize that it was a 2nd print. I told him if he wanted the book to just bid on the lot, keep what he wanted, and sell the rest. anyway, I thought that the case was closed after that.

Then.... I check my e-mail from work and I get another e-mail from this same guy stating that the one bid on the lot was HIS, that he would cancel his bid, and that I could then easily revise my listing and take out the notation that this issue was included (note the Q/A on the bottom about that issue was non removable) so that he could then buy it. At this point I was getting a little annoyed and figured I'd e-mail him later and just tell him again that I wasn't interested in changing the listing, but I had not had the chance to even do this because.......

The next time I check my e-mail I see a bid cancellation notice on this listing. Apparently the guy decided on his own that that I would take his offer, so he cancelled his bid so that I could revise the listing. But, that's not all. At the same time I see that I've received a PayPal payment for $9.10 from this guy. He was somehow able to find my PayPal ID and make this payment. He decided that I would remove this book from the listing, HE decided then how much I would sell it for, HE then decided how much and how I would ship it, and HE was then forcing me to go in and alter the listing. Of all the nerve. He also specified very clearly along with payment just how to package the book for shipment. blush.gif and blush.gif again!

Sure, you can say I should have refunded the payment and tell the guy to go take a hike. But I figured that this (I assume a kid or teenager or at least very anal young adult) had to have this book SO BAD that I thought what the heck, I changed the damn listing and he can have his damn book. Hey, I'm easy, but c'mon, that's kind of odd behavior from a bidder, don'tcha' think? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey Sid....Thanks for the book!!!!! I love second print Spidey's more than gravy and biscuits!! Now my life has some meaning!!

Scott

That is bizarre.

The crazest thing I have ever had was when I sold a ton of carded figures to a seller

were my auctions clearly stated what the combined shipping would be...

They haggled and haggled to try to get me to ship cheaper, but that would of

made me eat the costs if I shipped for less...

I said nope, and tons of fireball e-mails insued...

cheesy as it seems the nutweed even said that she had connections with the hells angels

in durham and were going to invade my house!

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I laughed it off and busted her arse with non-paying bidder ebay slaps until

she was no more...

Threaten by a female with the Hells Angels, people will say anything in cyberspace...

I wish I would of saved those e-mails, they were golden.

27_laughing.gif

And what's the problem? And he paid quickly at that 27_laughing.gif

I have buyers telling/yelling at me all the time to sell a book at their price.

Welcome to my world.

Care to share with us any of your more creative responses to those displaying ABS? (Aggressive Buyer Syndrome). I'm sure we'd love to hear them.

That is bizarre.

The crazest thing I have ever had was I sold a ton of carded figures to a seller that

were my auctions clearly stated what the combined shipping would be...

They haggled and haggled to try to get me to ship cheaper, but that would of

made me eat the costs if I shipped for less...

I said nope, and tons of fireball e-mails insued...

cheesy as it seems the nutweed even said that she had connections with the hells angels

in durham and were going to invade my house!

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I laughed it off and busted her arse with the non-paying bidder ebay slap until

she was no more...

Threaten by a female with the Hells Angels, people will say anything in cyberspace...

I wish I would of saved those e-mails, they were golden.

27_laughing.gif

A female with her hell's angels female buddy's wanting to play rough 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I am not mistaken that book had the word Classic written on the Front cover. I have seen this particular book sell for upwards of $50 on ebay. Sometimes it goes for a lot less but I remember it selling for that at least once. I assume the buyer also was aware of the value as well.

Just check out what this seller wants for his copy Spidey 292

If I am not mistaken that book had the word Classic written on the Front cover. I have seen this particular book sell for upwards of $50 on ebay. Sometimes it goes for a lot less but I remember it selling for that at least once. I assume the buyer also was aware of the value as well.

893whatthe.gif

Hey Sid....Thanks for the book!!!!! I love second print Spidey's more than gravy and biscuits!! Now my life has some meaning!!

Scott

umm....just kidding....wasn't really me.....

I can't believe you went along with that Sid. You are way too nice. I would have told him to go [embarrassing lack of self control] himself.

I can't believe Sid wrote a whole page telling us about it . . . 27_laughing.gif Way too much time on his hands insane.gif

foreheadslap.gif you got it. It does say "classic" and that it what he wanted me to confirm. Little shiester. Trying to pull one over on THIS dealer. I am going to refund this guy his payment. Thanks for the tip. thumbsup2.gif

Scott

umm....just kidding....wasn't really me.....

No, but you made me look! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Exactly. I've seen this book sell for even more. It really seems like the guy was trying to strong arm you into selling the book cheap. Would you care to tell us his user ID?

Exactly. I've seen this book sell for even more. It really seems like the guy was trying to strong arm you into selling the book cheap. Would you care to tell us his user ID?

I'm not too bright - I figured out the user ID from the link. I have to say I've heard this ID before...

OK, payment has been refunded. I told the guy that I just realized that it was a rare book and to resubmit payment for $30 if he still wants it.

What is the condition like? Its a good possibility that the book is worth more than $30.

foreheadslap.gif you got it. It does say "classic" and that it what he wanted me to confirm. Little shiester. Trying to pull one over on THIS dealer. I am going to refund this guy his payment. Thanks for the tip. thumbsup2.gif

You still have it? Good! So Much Fun variants can command some nice coin.

apparently there are a few of these so much fun variants...

so much fun "classic" variant comic page

apparently there are a few of these so much fun variants...

so much fun "classic" variant comic page

Check out the sales prices...

Amazing Spider-Man #292 7/6/05 $128.45

Amazing Spider-Man #292 8/29/05 $82.00

Amazing Spider-Man #292 1/23/06 $153.91

If that goof had just played it cool he could have snagged the whole lot and flipped the rest to cover costs. He probably would have gotten the variant for nothing. Serves him right for being so pushy.