• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about locating golden age issues

16 posts in this topic

Hi there. I just signed up for the boards. I am shopping around for some lower grade Golden Age Flash Comics. Where would you recommend looking? I've checked out some issues on eBay, Comiclink, and various comic book store Web sites.

Thanks,

Scott

eBay is likely your best bet, but it can be a real roll of the dice. make sure to always carefully consider the sellers feedback and return policy before bidding. I collect low grade GA Supermans, and I could fill an entire thread with horror stories.

Metropolis is hands down the best online store bet, and they have an excellent return policy as well. The problem you may encounter is that there is a large base of collectors looking for early lowgrade GA books, and when nice ones come up on Metro, they are typically priced a bit high, and sell through pretty quickly to boot. I would recommend checking thier site on a regular basis- or just calling them directly to ask for things they have not yet listed on the site. That's worked for me in the past.

I would definetly check ebay on a regular basis. Flash seems to be a title that frequently sells for well below guide there. While overgrading - even on low grade books, is a frequent problem on ebay - a decent scan will usually give you an idea of the actual grade. Be reluctant to buy from sellers who have more than 1 Neg per 200 positive feedbacks, and read the feedbacks to see if the seller recieves compliments on their grading, not just speed and packaging. Check the return policy, though I've only had to return a couple of GA/Atom Age books out of a couple hundred purchased.

welcome to the boards!

don't mind the poor manners of these other folks.

you can post a "WTB" (want to buy) thread in the Marketplace and see if that stirs anything up for you. most if not all long-time Forumites are great to buy from and sell to

Thanks for the help. I checked out a few sites and found some Flash Comics issues. I'm curious which ones are harder to find? Anyone know? It seems there are some issues I just can't find anywhere in any condition. For example, I love to cover to 37 but haven't seen it on any site.

Thanks for the help. I checked out a few sites and found some Flash Comics issues. I'm curious which ones are harder to find? Anyone know? It seems there are some issues I just can't find anywhere in any condition. For example, I love to cover to 37 but haven't seen it on any site.

Golden Age Dealers Online thread

I would start with Jim Payette www.jamespayettecomics.com (the link in the thread above is incorrect, so use this address). He offers the best grading and pricing IMO thumbsup2.gif
I'm going to second this recommendation. ESPECIALLY because of his grading. The G/VG Military #13 I just bought (scan in the Have a Cigar Thread) he graded as G/VG and it's easily a VG. When dealing with GA books that's a significant difference in quality. And according to his printed catalog he's got more than 20 GA Flashes most around that grade or better.

What online book stores have large collections of Golden Age books? I've found a few, such as Metropolis Comics, but not many others.

Welcome to the boards! thumbsup2.gif

I have another question: Does anyone here use Comiclink to purchase older issues? What luck have you had with it? I'm a little uneasy about buying books without seeing them first. Also, I can't see a way to contact sellers on Comiclink to ask questions about the issues.

Scott