• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite memories associated with comics

43 posts in this topic

... Not the comics themselves, necessarily, although that's part of the equation, but the memory associated with the comics.

For instance, I can remember one particular Valentine's Day when my Mom gave me 6 Ditko/Romita Spider-Mans (including 17, 25, 31, 32, 39 & 40 that she had secretly bought while on a trip out of town. I don't think my parents had ever out-and-out bought me comics before like that (maybe one at a gas station or grocery store once in awhile). And they weren't 'gem/mint' books or anything, just a fun gift from the heart. Man, what a great Valentine's Day that was for me, reading by the fireplace these awesome stories while it snowed outside!!!

Another one: Not me, but a good friend of mine has STRONG associations with Conan, because when he was a teenager, he would read the latest Conan book outloud because it drove his girlfriend so crazy that she would... uh... orally... uh, you get the picture, I think! So, needless to say whenever the name Conan enters a conversation, he gets a smile on his face because of the comic-associated memory.

It could be anything! I'm just curious as to what kind of memories comics bring out in folks that aren't necessarily about the comics themselves (but the comic helps trigger the memory). I think it would be great to hear from 'old-time' readers to younger people too!

Two memories...

1) Reading Thor 349 the day it came out, and stopping at the end of every page because I didn't want the story to end. I probably spent two hours reading that one comic (whereas now I read over 300 comics a month and average roughly 30 an hour)... I was absolutely enthralled by the story, and I was convinced (after having read the buildup to 300) that 349 was going to be the huge climactic battle. I got to the end and practically screamed, knowing I had to wait a month to find out what happened.

2) My trade with Sally Hansen in the 2nd grade coat closet... Nuff said...

Two memories...

2) My trade with Sally Hansen in the 2nd grade coat closet... Nuff said...

lol! CROM!!!!

Sally Hansen came back to me with an even better trade. She claims you REALLY overgraded your part of the deal.

Anyway...

I was also a Conan freak, but unfortunately that combined with being a D&D geek (at a conservative Christian private school) added up to "girl repellant."

My memories, though, still relate to Conan a lot--reading the Buscema comics and Buscema/Chan Savage Swords (which I hoped Mom would never read because they were more "adult" than the comics). I rode my bike many miles to see the second Conan movie.

And reading Peter Parker with my two best friends throughout the summer.

And getting the folded up newsprint CBG in the mail every week.

My favorite memory:

Walking to Franks Stationary...quarter in hand....and purchasing 2 brand spankin' new comics and having money left over to buy 2 pieces of bazooka bubble gum... cloud9.gif

Every morning in the summer of 1970 my mother would leave me 15 cents on the kitchen counter before she went to work so I could walk to the corner soda shop(yup, just like the ones on "Leave it to Beaver") and buy a comic book....was a total latch-key kid and I think she felt real guilty about it...

Jonny D.

Best Memory: Going camping a young tyke and having my father toss over a twenty for cards, comics and candy. Lucky to get a dollar at home, but a human bank while on vacation....

Worst Memory: On one of those trips, my dad took a box of just-bought comics out of the trunk, rearranged everything, and then never put them back.... Bye bye run of Warlock/Wolvie Hulks and Clone ASM's....

I can remember when my best friend and I first started collecting comics and we bumped into a couple of other collectors in our home town and we all sat down to do some trading and a little buying and I found out that the two people we bumped into,one of them had every Daredevil from 1-up. I looked at my best friend and he looked at me and we were just stunned and in awe. Daredevil was only on #101 at the time but we thought these 2 people must have had every comic book in the world. One of them has since become a best friend as well. We both still collect although he having kids to raise puts comics on the back burner a lot of times.

Best Memory: Going camping a young tyke and having my father toss over a twenty for cards, comics and candy. Lucky to get a dollar at home, but a human bank while on vacation....

Worst Memory: On one of those trips, my dad took a box of just-bought comics out of the trunk, rearranged everything, and then never put them back.... Bye bye run of Warlock/Wolvie Hulks and Clone ASM's....

Joe,

Bad memory of a similar nature: I took a bunch of Hulks with me on a family vacation (something like 200-240 or so). I made it back with the books ok, but when I went to put them away in my room that night we got back, I realized I had left them in the car... and my Dad had run the sprinklers... and the car windows had been down! D'OHHHHT! I got the books out of the car, but they were one big, wavy brick o' Hulks! And I still haven't replaced all those books yet...!

Wednesday afternoon, when the new comics came out, we beat it from school to the local drug store to grab our copies. It seems I collected everything back then.

Also, when I was in the Navy, I happened to call home and catch my father rummaging through my entire collection. It seems he and his mother had watched a news program and there was a feature on the collectibility of comics. I guess he was looking for that copy of Action 1.

I was talking to him on the phone as he was going through my titles. Then he came across about 11 issues of Tim Vigil's Faust that I bought out of 'male curiosity.' shocked.gif

Thankfully, he didn't flip through any of them.

Then he came across about 11 issues of Tim Vigil's Faust that I bought out of 'male curiosity.' Thankfully, he didn't flip through any of them

lol! Yeah, no kidding. That and "Black Kiss"!!!!! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Chris

Then he came across about 11 issues of Tim Vigil's Faust that I bought out of 'male curiosity.' Thankfully, he didn't flip through any of them

lol! Yeah, no kidding. That and "Black Kiss"!!!!! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Chris

Chris = Dagmar! blush.gif

Chris

Black Kiss! I've got, I think, the last two issues of that book! Talk about 'weird'. Howard Chaykin put sex in the Shadow and then he came out with some sort of vampire, lesbian, hermophodite, freak show! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Several semi-random comic-related memories:

1) The time my dad took out a 1/4-page ad in The Buyer's Guide (now CBG) in about 1978, that read "Happy Birthday Zach and Garth!" (Zach's my brother.) This was when it was newspaper 'tabloid' size, so it was a pretty big ad... he didn't tell us about it, so I was just reading the TBG cover-to-cover as always and came across the ad - great surprise. I still have that issue somewhere...!

2) Encountering a girl with a suitcase-full of comics on the ferry to the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington. This would have been in 1975 or so, and my collection was modest enough (150-200 issues) to cart with me wherever I went ... this chick - about my age, 11 or so, must have had 400 comics in a large suitcase. She showed 'em to me, had a lot of DC and Marvel silver age stuff, but her dad wouldn't let her trade any... he was a smart guy... smile.gif

3) Walking into the old Comics & Comix store on Columbus Ave. in SF in the mid-70s through early '80s... even the 100th trip into that shop was like transcending to another plane of existence...!

Wednesday afternoon, when the new comics came out, we beat it from school to the local drug store to grab our copies. It seems I collected everything back then.

That's exactly what I did. I'd usually wolf down my school lunch on wednesdays, hop on my bike, and dart to the local drugstore to grab all the copies I needed before any sold out. They didn't get a tons of copies of each issue like the big stores do now.