• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly Con Report

143 posts in this topic

Went to the show today. There were some good stuff and the dealers seemed friendly, as usual.

I bought a Spectacular Spider-Man Volume #2(magazine) from Gary Platt and I got a great deal on a Strange Tales #105 from a dealer named John from Harrisburg for $65 in a nice Fine/Fine(minus).

I also purchased a Strange Tales 111 from a rogue dealer in VG/VG+ for $40, not bad I thought as high grade books are not my thing every purchase.

I was really looking for Fantastic Four 3,4 and 5 and found "bad" copies of 3 and 4 and settle on the low-grade copy of 3 with tape and Split spine for $160. I am still looking for VG copies of those books, so sell me yours, please!!!!! laugh.gif

My last buy was a VG copy of Spider-Man #18 for $50. It was better than the one I have, so I'm happy.

One thing that was bugging me, was the over-pricing of alot of books!!! Wheather it was mid-grade or a little higher, alot of books were priced so high I don't know what the dealers were thinking!!

One dealer had a VG(minus) copy of Strange Tales #110(his grade) with a sticker price on it of $375. I took the book over to Gary Platt and he said it was a VG- and worth about $175. I told this guy that the guide price for VG was $225 and he said he would sell it for $200(about VG- anyway) after I said I would give him $150. He said "No" and then I offered to meet him in the middle at $175(I need that book!) and he said "no" again and that he would rather keep it and bring it back to his store where people are in "awe of it"(his words). Was he fawking kidding me...?? I was going to hand him $175 and he walked away from a "sale" over freakin' $25 for a book he had over-priced at $375(a scam). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just don't get dealers with these attitudes and over pricing of books. Don't they want to move thier stock at all.....?? Someone explain this to me, please.

One more thing, I saw Foolkiller(Brian) but when I went to introduce myself his friend John(I think that was his name) said he had already left the show. Sorry I missed you .............................

Sorry I missed you there -- I was there from 11 - 2 -- but I had to leave around 2 because my girlfriend was waiting for me in Center City -- and we had to go pick up a rug for the house... since I spent the morning at the con, thought it was a good idea to not keep her waiting.

Killing a deal over $25? Okay, fair enough... I understand your point, have made the same point to other dealers when trying to strike a deal. I'm just going to play devil's advocate here: if you wanted the book that badly, was it worth $25 for you just to pay it... ? I'm sure it was overpriced -- especially originally -- but then you probably did better in the long run by not buying it. For a store owner who sets up at a show, he's probably right, it's a cool book to have that's hard for him to replace. He says, look, I can stick this up there, people say "wow, 1st Doc Strange!" and might even buy it closer to $375 because most LCS back issue buyers don't know grading and don't care -- do they have the cash? If they do, they buy the book.

I spent some time selling and trading Gary Platt some books. Gary has been a friend (and originally a mentor) for over 10 years. I'm happy you were able to buy something from him, and I hope you brought to his attention the problem with the X-Mens you bought. He is very honest and I think you will find very easy to deal with.

As for the overpricing of books well... I think that's rather common place at shows right now. First, I think dealers feel the squeeze of being unable to replace many of the books that they consider to be a premium. Harder and harder to find new collections. Oliver, the dealer next to Gary Platt, had an incredible and virtually complete bronze/late silver Marvel collection. Beautiful mid/low grade collection with some mid/mid-high grade stuff that he got from a connection in Allentown. Sadly, the page quality was a little low for me, but overall, it was terrific stuff for a lot of people. But dealers also are aggressive in their pricing at shows because there is a built in cost for doing the show -- moreover, they feel as if they can. Now -- there are a lot of dealers there that I would stay away from. The most reliable are Dave Reynolds, Al Stoltz and Jeff Weaver (when they set up), and Gary Platt. I would now add Marc Nathan to the list since he is a regular set up. That's five dealers in a room that you can count on. Now... is it a huge show? No. But at the bigger shows, I can count on the same guys plus Bob Storms, Harley Yee, Motor City, Ted VanLiew, Steve Wyatt, and a few others. But it's like there's a laundry list of dealers there.

I enjoyed this con for what it was. A social event. I ran into Bob Siman and his son -- talked to them for a few minutes. Spoke with another collector about my age who's into high grade Marvels as well... he's a good guy trying to cultivate relationships with some of the higher end dealers. Spoke to a few other collectors too. I enjoy the show to wander around, kibitz with the dealers, and move on. Is there going to be a plethora of high grade? No. But I have made good scores in that room, and expect to keep doing so if I keep looking.

Sorry to all board members who attended for my being so unsocial - we dealt our deals and headed straight back home to catch the start of the WC Final.

High grade early Silver was nonexistent, especially since neither Al nor Jeff set up at this show (saw Al there as a buyer). I sure hope they decide to return, and perhaps they will after San Diego.

I spent some time selling and trading Gary Platt some books. Gary has been a friend (and originally a mentor) for over 10 years. I'm happy you were able to buy something from him, and I hope you brought to his attention the problem with the X-Mens you bought. He is very honest and I think you will find very easy to deal with.

Well, It was a while back and since he doesn't really know my name, I'm sure he wouldn't remember me. No big deal.

He is looking for my FF 3,4, and 5 for me though.

Killing a deal over $25? Okay, fair enough... I understand your point, have made the same point to other dealers when trying to strike a deal. I'm just going to play devil's advocate here: if you wanted the book that badly, was it worth $25 for you just to pay it... ?

Actually a fellow board member and I are discussing a higher grade issue in about the same price range, so I backed off any further discussion from this guy.

Funny thing though, he gave me his card for his shop and told me to stop buy as they are "having a sale". I said to him, "Have a sale here at the show and sell me that book for $175". Why would I go to his shop if he wouldn't be reasonable about this ST 110..?? Don't these people want my money...?? Is holding that book longer going to make him such an overwhelming profit ....??? I don't see that happening. Why not take today's money(profit)....?? Jesus, it's only a VG(-) copy of ST 110.

Sorry I missed you there -- I was there from 11 - 2 -- but I had to leave around 2 because my girlfriend was waiting for me in Center City -- and we had to go pick up a rug for the house... since I spent the morning at the con, thought it was a good idea to not keep her waiting.

I saw you at the admission table. I was reading the flyers while you were paying admision, but I wasn't sure it was you because you look thinner in person than your pictures on the board.

Hello,

I don't want to sound harsh, but it's his book. He can offer an initial price or negotiate down to whatever amount he's willing to accept. $200 was definitely a fair price in grade. If it had decent color and page quality, I would have taken it in your situation. I hear you about it "only" being $25, but he could say the exact same thing and be equally right.

Which reminds me, the next time I set up at a show and someone gives me the whole "Will you discount this book because I need it to finish my run, etc..." song and dance, I'll tell them "Well, if it's for your personal collection and you plan to keep it a long time, why do mind paying a few extra dollars more?"

This comment is not directed towards you in any way, but I'm a firm believer in not BS'ing dealers or collectors about one's intentions, etc... As a seller I am extremely flexible, but I either get my price or I don't. If I'm not willing to sell something for $xxx, I don't do it. It doesn't matter who the other person is in the transaction. And as a seller or buyer, I'm not going to be offended if a negotiation doesn't result in a sale. No reason for anyone to get their feelings hurt or become angry if it doesn't work out. Having said that, I am often willing to sell things pretty cheap! insane.gif

As for the overpricing of books well... I think that's rather common place at shows right now. First, I think dealers feel the squeeze of being unable to replace many of the books that they consider to be a premium. Harder and harder to find new collections. Oliver, the dealer next to Gary Platt, had an incredible and virtually complete bronze/late silver Marvel collection. Beautiful mid/low grade collection with some mid/mid-high grade stuff that he got from a connection in Allentown. Sadly, the page quality was a little low for me, but overall, it was terrific stuff for a lot of people. But dealers also are aggressive in their pricing at shows because there is a built in cost for doing the show -- moreover, they feel as if they can. .

What you say may be true about not being able to replace thier inventory, but that's no excuse for pricing a vg book at $35 when it will only sell at $15.

Hey, I am always looking to spend the least I can for every book, but for a dealer to jackup the price of book and then not sell it becuase he doesn't have a "replacement" seems illogical.

As for "bumping" prices of books at a show, I can't but that one either(tongue firmly in cheek). 1 table was $60, 2 tables were $100.........well, a dealer could(and will) make that back with 1 sale to 1 person. I mean, we have all purchased books from a dealer where the final tally was way over a hundred, right..?? If this was a .25 cent a book show, I could understand that, but since these dealers are "making" more than the cost of those tables, jacking those prices made me NOT BUY!!!!

Look at it this way, if I sell watermelons at a roadside stand for $5 a piece and I have 100 watermelons, do I sell my last watermelon for $50 because it's my last one....???

Selling comics has its costs and profits. If I had to spend $100 to make $1000, that's great profit. Of course, I am not factoring in the price of the books, but we all KNOW they buy most of thier stuff at 50% or less of what they will charge( I have no problem with that). So lets say Dealer XYZ buys 2 tables for $100 and sells $2000 worth of books(cash). Now, let's factor his cost of books at $800. Adding his table cost and inventory cost at $900 and subtract it from $2000, we wind up with a "profit" of $1100(most likely tax-free, too). That's a pretty good return for your "initial costs" of selling comics, don't you think.

I guess my point is that if I were to sell books I would move my stuff as best as I could. Why hold everything for tomorrow's "maybe" dollar...??

I deal with the owner of a store in Wayne, N.J. called Bullseye Comics. His name is Joe and he is one great guy to deal with when buying "expensive" books because he moves(sells) his books as inventory like any other business. He doesn't hold on to every book just because someone "might" buy it tomorrow.

I highly, highly, recommend everyone go to his store and meet him(on the weekends) or his partner, Bobby.

Both are great guys and they sell moderns cheaper than everyone else and don't kill the collector on the older books, too!!!

Man, I am out of breath............................. smirk.gif

Hello,

I don't want to sound harsh, but it's his book. He can offer an initial price or negotiate down to whatever amount he's willing to accept. $200 was definitely a fair price in grade. If it had decent color and page quality, I would have taken it in your situation. I hear you about it "only" being $25, but he could say the exact same thing and be equally right.

Which reminds me, the next time I set up at a show and someone gives me the whole "Will you discount this book because I need it to finish my run, etc..." song and dance, I'll tell them "Well if it's for your personal collection and you plan to keep it a long time, why do mind paying a few extra dollars more?"

Let me say this to you and, please, do NOT take offense to this: I did not say anything to him about that I "needed" the book. Of course, I needed the book. That's why I wanted to purchase it.

As a buyer, I can get that book from another source for the price I want and then continue to deal with that "seller" in the future. I WILL NOT be a return customer to you, as you did NOT make me become one!!

Always remember this, MY MONEY IS MORE POWERFUL THAN YOUR BOOK(S). I can do more with my money in my pocket than I can with "your" book in my closet.

You want my business..?? Fine, work with me and make me want to COME BACK to you for more business. Come to a fair price and I will return to give you more of my money in the future.

I'm talking about VG books and the like here. Not the high grade books which my warrant strict "guide-like" prices.

I guess, I am talking about "customer service", which has many facets to it. sign-rantpost.gif

27_laughing.gif

The camera adds ten pounds I guess... but I've basically been the same weight for 10 years so... of course please don't confuse me with Greggy! or one of the other asian forumites...

Anyway -- I think I know who you are at least -- but just grab me and say hi next time there's one and we both attend!

I hear you on your points and I agree -- was it the guy who owned a store in DE -- T & T comics?

I understand, and I was speaking generically about buyers who plea for discounts based on it being a book they "need REALLY bad" or whatever.

I also hear you that from a buyer's perspective a little discount to get the ball rolling with a new seller is a nice, happy way to start the relationship. But, some sellers would respond that the discounts should start only after there's been an established track record of business. And from this guy's point of view, he had already come down significantly on the book (I agree with you it was priced high at $375).

You are 100% justified in your opinion, and are correct that $$$ is always more powerful than a comic. However, I will say again that it's their book. They aren't under any obligation to sell at the price you want to buy at.

And yes, the ST 110 was a lower grade copy, but it is a key. Overstreet isn't a catalog. Sale prices can swing to either side of those numbers. Anyway you slice it, $200 was not an unfair price for a VG- copy of that book.

Ahh, the eternal struggle between buyer and seller. cloud9.gif

I understand, and I was speaking generically about buyers who plea for discounts based on it being a book they "need REALLY bad" or whatever.

I also hear you that from a buyer's perspective a little discount to get the ball rolling with a new seller is a nice, happy way to start the relationship. But, some sellers would respond that the discounts should start only after there's been an established track record of business. And from this guy's point of view, he had already come down significantly on the book (I agree with you it was priced high at $375).

You are 100% justified in your opinion, and are correct that $$$ is always more powerful than a comic. However, I will say again that it's their book. They aren't under any obligation to sell at the price you want to buy at.

And yes, the ST 110 was a lower grade copy, but it is a key. Overstreet isn't a catalog. Sale prices can swing to either side of those number. Anyway you slice it, $200 was a fair price for a VG- copy of that book.

Ahh, the eternal struggle between buyer and seller. cloud9.gif

A "fair price" for that book, or any other book, is one that makes me come back to you again to give you my money.

Sure, we can haggle over price, but I hold the "hammer" with my money. You want my business , then there's a way to get it.

For a dealer to "stand firm" and not get my money is beyond me as a buyer.

Yes, it's his book, but it's my money. Without me(and you) that book is of no "value" to the seller.

It's the "attitude" of dealers and sellers, I don't understand. Do they want to move thier inventory or not...??

We, the buyers, are not asking 50% off guide prices. Just work with us a little.

I'm sure this is the reason Foolkiller has his "good" dealer list.

Just my 2 cents...............

Went to the show today. There were some good stuff and the dealers seemed friendly, as usual.

I bought a Spectacular Spider-Man Volume #2(magazine) from Gary Platt and I got a great deal on a Strange Tales #105 from a dealer named John from Harrisburg for $65 in a nice Fine/Fine(minus).

I also purchased a Strange Tales 111 from a rogue dealer in VG/VG+ for $40, not bad I thought as high grade books are not my thing every purchase.

I was really looking for Fantastic Four 3,4 and 5 and found "bad" copies of 3 and 4 and settle on the low-grade copy of 3 with tape and Split spine for $160. I am still looking for VG copies of those books, so sell me yours, please!!!!! laugh.gif

My last buy was a VG copy of Spider-Man #18 for $50. It was better than the one I have, so I'm happy.

One thing that was bugging me, was the over-pricing of alot of books!!! Wheather it was mid-grade or a little higher, alot of books were priced so high I don't know what the dealers were thinking!!

One dealer had a VG(minus) copy of Strange Tales #110(his grade) with a sticker price on it of $375. I took the book over to Gary Platt and he said it was a VG- and worth about $175. I told this guy that the guide price for VG was $225 and he said he would sell it for $200(about VG- anyway) after I said I would give him $150. He said "No" and then I offered to meet him in the middle at $175(I need that book!) and he said "no" again and that he would rather keep it and bring it back to his store where people are in "awe of it"(his words). Was he fawking kidding me...?? I was going to hand him $175 and he walked away from a "sale" over freakin' $25 for a book he had over-priced at $375(a scam). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just don't get dealers with these attitudes and over pricing of books. Don't they want to move thier stock at all.....?? Someone explain this to me, please.

One more thing, I saw Foolkiller(Brian) but when I went to introduce myself his friend John(I think that was his name) said he had already left the show. Sorry I missed you .............................

Who did you get the FF 3 from? My lousy copy of FF 3 was with Marc Nathan.

Cry me a [embarrassing lack of self control] river. You could have had the 6.0 copy I "sold" to you for $220, but you backed out out like the deadbeat you are. Now you are whining about not finding that same issue? What balls.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Cry me a [embarrassing lack of self control] river. You could have had the 6.0 copy I "sold" to you for $220, but you backed out out like the deadbeat you are. Now you are whining about not finding that same issue? What balls.

893naughty-thumb.gif

First off, it's my money. I will spend it on whatever I like.

Second, I am under no obligation to buy anything I do not wish to buy when it comes to my life as a "hobbyist".

You were not selling me a house, a car, a college education, or medical services.

Third, as I told you, I used that money on a better deal for a different book that happened to be offered to me at that time period.

I didn't steal from you. I did not hurt your family. I did not cause you to lose your job. i did not cause you physical harm.

What I did was back out of our deal FOR A FREAKIN' COMIC BOOK!!!

Just to set the record straight, if you would have sold it to me cheaper I would have bought it, but my comic fund is only so big.

Don't make comic buying and selling so personal. They are only comic books afterall.