• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much to deduct for paper ripples?

23 posts in this topic

This question has been asked a few times in the forums, but nobody has given much of an opinion on how much a non-color-breaking paper ripple should impact grade. Drbanner gave the best opinion on it I've heard yet in an older thread from December 2002:

drbanner: Aka "printer's crease" or "production crease". At 3" long, it's quite obvious - but what's the deduction? This is a tough issue and I'd like to hear what others think about deducting for printer's creases. It seems if you had identical books other than this defect, it's obvious which you'd want, but it's also obvious that the same amount shouldn't be deducted as if it were a corner or edge crease. Does the new grading guide discuss printer's creases?

fantastic-four: What difference does it make how the fleck got there? I don't get the perspective of people who think that printing defects count for less than handling defects. Even worse is the idea that printing defects don't count at all. A defect is a defect!

drbanner: Here's the perspective - if this was a production defect (meaning the ink roller didn't transfer one of the ink layers, or any ink at all, to the affected area in the first place), there would be no paper damage and the cover could still be nice and smooth and glossy over the affected area. If it was done after production there would be paper damage, no gloss on the affected area, and the cover would no longer be smooth/even. BIG difference!

Any other opinions? If you've got a book with 9.6/9.8 type structure BUT a 2" or 3" non-color-breaking paper ripple, how much should you deduct? I'm never quite sure.

I think it really depends on it's location on the cover. If it's in the middle of the main artwork or on the main character, it'd be deducted a bit more imo. If it's on the back or just on the side or something..I wouldn't deduct much if at all.

Brian

Well CGC doesn't seem to deduct much if any for it. Got a 9.8 with a book with 3 printer's creases. The person I got the book from sent in 3 more copies of that book in and it came back 9.6, 9.8 and 9.8. They all had 2-3 printer's creases on them. It was a white cover book but dunno if it matters if it was a different colour! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anybody got any examples of very high grade CGC books with non-color-breaking, non-gloss-breaking printer's ripples/creases? This is the highest one I own, but I wonder whether there are 9.4s or 9.6s with ripples out there (ripple starts between Spidey's legs and extends to right edge):

Well CGC doesn't seem to deduct much if any for it. Got a 9.8 with a book with 3 printer's creases. The person I got the book from sent in 3 more copies of that book in and it came back 9.6, 9.8 and 9.8. They all had 2-3 printer's creases on them. It was a white cover book but dunno if it matters if it was a different colour! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How long were the creases?

How long were the creases?

The front one is around 1 and a quarter inches. Back 2 are around 1/2 inch and 3/4 inches. Here's the scans of the front of the back so you can critique it even more. FYI, I pregraded my 9.4 W higher than this copy because it was perfectly centered and had no printer's creases. This got a 9.8 W but was overall fresher, had way better gloss, and was whiter! insane.gif

Shanna1%20-%20Front.JPG

Shanna1%20-%20Back.JPG

Whoa, interesting example, thanks!!!

But I've got to say...you submit the girliest books. tongue.gif And I don't mean "girly" in the adult nudie magazine sense of the word.

Whoa, interesting example, thanks!!!

But I've got to say...you submit the girliest books. tongue.gif And I don't mean "girly" in the adult nudie magazine sense of the word.

Screw you fool! I submit any books that I can sell! Steranko cover also! insane.gif

You know, sometime, you might hurt hurt someone's feelings talking to them like that! wink.gif

Freaking 893censored-thumb.gif tool!

Screw you '! makepoint.gif

1800 insane.gif

So what fool? Sigh...you used to be fun! 893applaud-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Come on man...pick it up. Remember when rickdogg, you, and I hijacked the selling stars thread by jens with our graelim display. Now...that was when we were all great! What happened? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

F_F...here is a scan of my book before I sent it in and recieved a 9.8....if you look closely enough you can see the crease running from GL's power ring all the way to the right of the book...

gl116.jpg

You know, sometime, you might hurt hurt someone's feelings talking to them like that! wink.gif

Freaking 893censored-thumb.gif tool!

He did hurt my feelings. frown.gif It took me quite a few hours to get over the shock...did I deserve that kind of response just for inferring that he's a effeminate, gender-identity-confused, wussy-wimp? I don't think that I did!!!! mad.gif27_laughing.giftongue.gif

F_F...here is a scan of my book before I sent it in and recieved a 9.8....if you look closely enough you can see the crease running from GL's power ring all the way to the right of the book...

Another great example...thanks!!! I believe we've established that CGC doesn't deduct for printing creases much below the 9.9 level. So now the question is...should they? I'm surprised they consider it an acceptable defect for the 9.8 grade.