• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the CGC grade: TEC #30

25 posts in this topic

this brings up an interesting point; in my grading opinion, i stated that the book probably didn't have anything else to improve (since it had been extensively restored).

how can a book still have many non color-breaking creases after having gone through a major restoration??? i would have thought that since the book is going to be considered extensively restored antway, the last step would have been to remove those creases in anyway possible.

i would have thought that if they didn't break color, there would be some means of removing them............... confused.gif

this brings up an interesting point; in my grading opinion, i stated that the book probably didn't have anything else to improve (since it had been extensively restored).

how can a book still have many non color-breaking creases after having gone through a major restoration??? i would have thought that since the book is going to be considered extensively restored antway, the last step would have been to remove those creases in anyway possible.

i would have thought that if they didn't break color, there would be some means of removing them............... confused.gif

Sometimes the creases get pressed into the book, not out. This is damage and then graded as a defect. This could be from bad or "old time" pressing, or it could just be that the creases were so servere they would not press out and they are hard to see because, where the broke color, they were color touched. I am just assuming/guessing as I do not have the book in front of me.........

Were vintage staples used in replacement?

Harsh grade. I think if you sell it you'd be better off selling it raw. I've noticed Metropolis gives deep discounts for cleaned covers (e.g. All American #1 listed at VF+, cover cleaned, listed for 4800.00 with a 55% discount to $2150.00. This no doubt has to do with saleability of book, yours is much more desirable, but seems to indicate that cover cleaning lowers grade significantly.) Also, if rice paper or something similar was used to reinforce staple tears, this would lower grade. And I would consider cover cleaning and reinforcement minor restoration compared to other work done. Nice looking book.

Just to clarify, it's not my book. We were just playing "guess the grade" with this one. I remember it selling on Heritage some time ago, and that's where the scans came from.

I remember at the time it was being auctioned I considered bidding because it did look very nice for a 5.5.