• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the CGC grade: TEC #30

25 posts in this topic

Sure, I'll play... shy.gif

With the smallish scans (no offense), apparent grade could be anywhere from Fine to Mint. The back seems to have light wear and what could be light stains, but hard to say. I see what looks like color loss in the yellow "burst" on front?, but edges and spine are razor-sharp. My wild guess: 9.0 A

given the fact that it's been extensively restored, i'm guessing there are minimal oportunities ti improve the book at this juncture. other than the aforementioned color loss on the front page and some dirt that still remains, it appears structurally sound.

i have a few restored golden age books in this range and think that it would garner about an 8.0 - 8.5..............

Here's the CGC label. Had I not known the grade, I would have guessed in the 8.0 to 8.5 range like most everyone else. When I saw this one, I was surprised how low the grade was:

DTec30.jpg

Wow, that's insanity. And I was so close! 27_laughing.gif I would never have guess lower than 8.0 even with the larger scans. The logo area

looks a bit funky now, but it could just be the scan...

To be honest, I never quite understand how these Apparent grades are calculated. For instance, are color-touched areas

graded as if there were no color touch and the book was problem-free in those areas, or is the book still docked for the

structural problems that the color touch is "hiding"?

There are many creases on that cover that do not break color. Also, when pieces are replaced, it can look like staining on the interior cover. There are also tear seals, so the pages can look as if the tears are still there.

Grading from scans and/or through plastic just does not work (Good thing or I'd be out of a job blush.gif27_laughing.gif)

There are many creases on that cover that do not break color. Also, when pieces are replaced, it can look like staining on the interior cover. There are also tear seals, so the pages can look as if the tears are still there.

Grading from scans and/or through plastic just does not work (Good thing or I'd be out of a job blush.gif27_laughing.gif)

Hey Steve, you should post on this board more often, occasionally offering your opinion on grades. Obviously scans are not full proof and nothing beats sending the book in to Florida but it can get pretty heated in "debate" around here and sometimes we need an "expert" to give the final decision. It's what im here for but i need a pre-grader grin.gif

Hey Steve, you should post on this board more often, occasionally offering your opinion on grades. Obviously scans are not full proof and nothing beats sending the book in to Florida but it can get pretty heated in "debate" around here and sometimes we need an "expert" to give the final decision. It's what im here for but i need a pre-grader grin.gif

sign-funnypost.gifGOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Frankenstein book! poke2.gif

Actually, I saw all the creases Steve is talking about all along...I just didn't wanna show you guys up. You mean you guys didn't see them?? When I look at this book, all I see are creases! HUGE ones! 27_laughing.gif