• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know who this ebayer is?

6 posts in this topic

His member name is 2112tj He is consantly bidding on every magazine that I want. Seems to have a pretty high budget. Tempted to bid up every auction he bids on to make him break his budget. Unless he is a member here. devil.gif

Let him win the auctions bidding against you. Get the next one for less when he's not around.

I am thinking the best way to get back with this guy is to win the same books for less $ later. Keep track of what he's paying if you want. I'm pretty sure there will be real satisfaction on your part when you realize the money your saving not having to bid against this guy.

(It will be your little secret)

Someone started a thread a few years ago about punishement bidding and it didn't go over very well on the forum. Ok, I realize it's not exactly the same as what your proposing, as this was described as driving up a price on a book the punishment bidder had no desire of winning, but I am thinking this is along the same lines.

Also, there is always a danger your higher (way higher than you really wanted to pay) bid may be the winning one.

Careful.

I don't want to "punish" him. all the books are high grade and the prices are well below guide so if I win them I would still get a deal and be happy with the book. I just want him to run out of money to give me a better chance of getting some books at reasonable prices.

I used to have a large Alice Cooper collection years ago. My competition was a Corporate Lawyer and a successful surgeon. I make a decent buck, but they used to hammer me. I got more resourceful at finding things. I only used eBay as a last effort. I e-mailed alot of people and had them keep an eye out for things. I also got referred to friends of friends and aquired a good amount of high value items cheap.

I collect Bernie Wrightson now and use the same techniques I used back then. For one thing, contrary to popular belief, everything doesn't end up on eBay! For example, I purchased a Cycle of the Werewolf presskit from a bookdealer on ABEbooks for $17. eBay is simple, who spends more money wins. Look for misprints, bad descriptions and dig on the web. Get your want-list out to a bunch of people. Sometimes the effort pays off in aces.

You may go broke while he just spends his pocket money. I know a CEO that makes a little more than 3 mil a year salary that collects as a side hobby!