• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another comic to grade

8 posts in this topic

I picked this one up today.

One word to describe it...Beautiful

I wish I could say flawless. But it's not.

Anyway...here's the pic.

asm194.jpg

Pages are nothing less than White (OWL 10).

There are two very very faint impressions on the spine, but do not break color in any way. Like the start of a stress that hasn't broken the color.

The kicker. Look in the banner at the top.

Right above the "M" in Marvel.

It's a tear. It goes from the edge (but not into) of the red banner, up to the edge of the book.

It's just over 1/8". More like 5/32" or less.

And it is very hard to see.

What would this grade from CGC?

I was ready to pack this one up to send them when I spotted this small tear.

I'll post some more books later.

Minor deduction...I'd think still somewhere in the 9.4 to 9.6 area, assuming you covered all the defects in your description. I've got a CGC 9.6 copy of X-Men 130 with a tear around that size in almost exactly the same spot.

I am by no means a "grader". But from what I have seen, and what I can tell from the scan, you would most likely get a 9.2, maybe higher. The spine looks great and the corners are very nice. Has the spine been rolled even a little? The scan makes it look like it is coming around just a bit, but that could just be from the scanner. Otherwise a very nice copy and worthy of the grade regardless of a small tear. Just my thoughts.

JulianXJ

Interesting.

Thanks, FF.

I was really thinking this would be a 9.6 - 9.8 until the tear came to light.

I do have an elusive ASM 188 that will be sent off with a dead shot at 9.8+ 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I was going to send this one with the 188, but now I don't know.

Too much of a gamble to get 9.4+ on this book.

What do you think? confused.gif

A related question:

Are Spideys from $0.35/0.40 cover range worth sending to CGC expecting 9.4+ grades? With the grading price at $19 + shipping fees, You would need to get 3x guide for it to be worth it? Or is my math off? Or am I underestimating the number of books that get this grade? Or should I shut up? :-)

Only ASM 238 is worthwhile to send in if it's a 9.4, you'll break even, if it's higher you might make some money. 252 is only worthwhile in 9.8 or better, same with 200. 300 is worthwhile in 9.4 or better. But for the most part 35/40 centers are only gonna make it worthwhile if you get a 9.8 or better at LEAST.

Brian