• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Web of Spiderman 18 & 24

109 posts in this topic

Back a few years ago I purchased a few copies of each for less than a buck each as I had read that Marvel admitted that Venom ( his hands and presence but you dont actually see him) makes his true first cameos in these issues. I am just curious what the situation is of these issues , are these generally considered the first cameos of venom . I still see them for a few bucks a peice still so I figure (price wise) these issues have not really gone up in value. Not that I expected them but as a Venom collector It was a must have for me.

Even though those are the first "technical" cameos for Venom, I doubt you'll see much demand for them beyond what is now. Really, the only cameos/first appearances that anyone seems to count are ASM #298-300.Of course there's the first appearance of the black costume in Secret Wars 1 #8 but I haven't seen much movement on this one either. I think after the over exposure of Venom in the 90's his first apperances have dropped in value considerable.

I think an aspect is that alot of people dont even know about them . when I talk to alot of comic collectors and even Venom fans and I tell them about these issues they give me the "what are you talking about" look. Overstreet does not even mention his appearance in issue 24. I think they are good issues to apprecaite in the future a bit. Oversteet does now list issue 18 as his first app now.and the issue can still be had for $2-$4 . If suddenly you found out that wolverines claws appeared in Hulk 179 , it would be a hot issue.

I think an aspect is that alot of people dont even know about them . when I talk to alot of comic collectors and even Venom fans and I tell them about these issues they give me the "what are you talking about" look.

Even if you have actually read the books you may not know about them. It is a real stretch to consider that either book contains Venom in any shape or form. crazy.gif

I forget what page it is on but it is as follows. App: Web of Spider-Man #18 (Rev)

Brock pushes Peter Parker in front of a moving subway train without activating his spider-sense

Revised after I saw the previous post. Last Page.

I think he is pushed again in issue 24 but I dont have it with me here.

For the record I would not consider this much more than a minor cameo (I mean its him in the shadows and his hands ) but if your a venom collector its a must have I think.

For the record I would not consider this much more than a minor cameo (I mean its him in the shadows and his hands ) but if your a venom collector its a must have I think.

It could have been anyone's hand though. confused-smiley-013.gif

The point isn't that it's an obvious significant appearance when you look at it. The point is that it is clearly meant to be Venom, if you know anything about what was happening in the Spidey books at the time.

If you're looking for a real picture of the drooling monster who first fully appeared in ASM 300, you're going to be even more disappointed than if you shelled out big money for Darkseid's "first appearance" in Jimmy Olsen 134.

Even if you have actually read the books you may not know about them. It is a real stretch to consider that either book contains Venom in any shape or form. crazy.gif

And people laugh at Power-man/Iorn Fist 78 as being a Sabretooth appearance. This one here definitely takes the cake. tonofbricks.gif

I remember now , He was pushed off a roof of a building by the HANDS in issue 24.

COuld have been anyones hands but it was obvious when Peters spider sense was not alerted. Marvel admitted afterwords that it was venom.

COuld have been anyones hands but it was obvious when Peters spider sense was not alerted. Marvel admitted afterwords that it was venom.

But there are a lot of people that don't set off Pete's spidey sense, and I have a hard time believing Venom would stoop to cowardly pushing Pete, not once but twice, to his intended death.

Not to mention that Venom would also know that his Spider-man abilities would naturally save him. Why do it, if you're trying to kill Spider-man rather than Peter Parker. It makes no sense!

Seems like a writer had the idea of a "villain type" that was later trashed in favor of Venom, then later Marvel tried to make it seem like it was part of their "master plan". 27_laughing.gif

And people laugh at Power-man/Iorn Fist 78 as being a Sabretooth appearance. This one here definitely takes the cake. tonofbricks.gif

No, what would take the cake is if Marvel suddenly came out and said that, in every comic with a story that took place after the creation of the FF, the Invisible Girl/Woman appeared. insane.gif The intent here is clear, so this is just a close second to that.

P.S. Don't let Joey Q. read this post. Please!!

Seems like a writer had the idea of a "villain type" that was later trashed in favor of Venom, then later Marvel tried to make it seem like it was part of their "master plan". 27_laughing.gif

You do know that Web 18&24 and ASM 298-300 were all written by the same person, right? And unlike Ned Leeds being the Hobgoblin (which was NOT written by Stern, although he did write him as one of the obvious possibilities to keep Hobby's ID a mystery), this actually fits properly.

You do know that Web 18&24 and ASM 298-300 were all written by the same person, right?

Ummm, please re-read my above comment. makepoint.gif

Here's the deal. Web 18 came out in 1986, and ASM 300 was released in 1988. What happened in the intervening 2 years or so?

My point is that Marvel and Dave M. probably had many ideas of a type of villain to introduce using the alien costume, but it wasn't until ASM 300 that Venom was finalized. Heck, there were probably changes a week before the -script was written.

That's why the appearances in Web 18 and 24 make absolutely no sense - it was not the same character at all and obviously a lot changed during those two years. Marvel trying to tie them together is just more fanboy BS.

It could have been anyone's hand though. confused-smiley-013.gif

But almost anyone else would trigger his Spidey sense!

I actually bought this issue about 10 years ago when Wizard profiled it as potential good buy. It cost $5 at the time and went down in value since then frown.gif

They talked to the writers and the article actually said that this was going to be Venom, but then there were some staff changes. I will look for it this weekend (I saved it) and attach a scan.

Here's the real question: If you are actually trying to kill off Spider-man (rather than Peter Parker as is obviously intended in the stories) then why push him into a subway tunnel and off a building, both of which are a piece of cake for a Spider-powered superhero. Basically, as Spider-man, he's in absolutely no danger.

The only reason you'd push Peter Parker off a building, is because you wanted to kill a normal guy, and had no idea he was Spider-man. Hardly the case with Venom and therefore, it makes absolutely no sense given than context.

I can't believe the writers would be this stupid, so therefore I think the connection is some half-baked method of covering your hass and making sure all the fanboys believe in the Marvel Universe.

Here's the real question: If you are actually trying to kill off Spider-man (rather than Peter Parker as is obviously intended in the stories) then why push him into a subway tunnel and off a building, both of which are a piece of cake for a Spider-powered superhero. Basically, as Spider-man, he's in absolutely no danger.

The only reason you'd push Peter Parker off a building, is because you wanted to kill a normal guy, and had no idea he was Spider-man. Hardly the case with Venom and therefore, it makes absolutely no sense given than context.

I can't believe the writers would be this stupid, so therefore I think the connection is some half-baked method of covering your hass and making sure all the fanboys believe in the Marvel Universe.

Perhaps he didn't want to kill him yet. Maybe Venom just wanted to screw with Spidey...make him paranoid.