• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Web of Spiderman 18 & 24

109 posts in this topic

I think that one is obviously supposed to be a "character in shadow", plus it's not Venom or even the Symbiote, as there are no white marks on the hand.

Next. juggle.gif

Don't you ever give up? sumo.gif

If you read the long article you know that the exact look of Venom was not decided yet (and it was originally concepted as female) so it didn't need to have the white marks on its hand:

Michelinie contends that the plots for issues #298-299, as well as the visual descriptions of the character, were written and brought by Salicrup before McFarlane was ever assigned to the book.

If you read the long article you know that the exact look of Venom was not decided yet (and it was originally concepted as female) so it didn't need to have the white marks on its hand

But that's my point, it was NOT Venom. foreheadslap.gif

Maybe a "Venom Prototype" would be the proper term? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you read the long article you know that the exact look of Venom was not decided yet (and it was originally concepted as female) so it didn't need to have the white marks on its hand

But that's my point, it was NOT Venom. foreheadslap.gif

Maybe a "Venom Prototype" would be the proper term? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree. From that article, it seems "Venom" in these early appearances could have been almost anyone, but the article seemed pretty clear that he wasn't yet Eddie Brock nor did he leave a trail of green slime behind every corner.

I guess its pretty similar to the Mary Jane argument. Was her first appearance in ASM # 25 or 42? Does a cameo or mere mention of a character really count as a first appearance, especially one that is so entirely different from the end product we know today?

The only problem with that, is that Wizard erroneously states the arm belongs to Eddie Brock, when even Michelinie admits to the contrary.

I still say "Venom Prototype" works best in this case.

Alrighty, I got the scan now from a Wizard sometime in the '90s....

1320829-webofspider-man18.jpg

I remember this article. It's also why i probably never new about Web 24 because it wasn't mentioned there. Funny how 15 years later the book never caught on and is still found in the bins.

Even though those are the first "technical" cameos for Venom, I doubt you'll see much demand for them beyond what is now. Really, the only cameos/first appearances that anyone seems to count are ASM #298-300.Of course there's the first appearance of the black costume in Secret Wars 1 #8 but I haven't seen much movement on this one either. I think after the over exposure of Venom in the 90's his first apperances have dropped in value considerable.

RECENT SW #8....

I had 2 other offers: 1 was for $180 and the other for $170. This book is finally starting to move...

John thumbsup2.gif

Even though those are the first "technical" cameos for Venom, I doubt you'll see much demand for them beyond what is now. Really, the only cameos/first appearances that anyone seems to count are ASM #298-300.Of course there's the first appearance of the black costume in Secret Wars 1 #8 but I haven't seen much movement on this one either. I think after the over exposure of Venom in the 90's his first apperances have dropped in value considerable.

RECENT SW #8....

I had 2 other offers: 1 was for $180 and the other for $170. This book is finally starting to move...

John thumbsup2.gif

I hope those were some super mint copies because I've seen SW #8 in the local shops and online for only a few bucks. Now I see Chuck at Mile High has it: http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=72795747460&snumber=1 , but again, that's Mile High. Now, I do see this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie..._PCN_BIX_Stores

But again, that's CGC'd. I'm sure you can get it cheaper raw. As far as the WSM #18 and #24, politics aside, the story did incorporate these two appearances into Eddie's story, Eddie Brock basically stating these were his first early tests of the suit to see if he could indeed sneak up on Peter. Yes, he knew Peter was Spider-man from the suit but he wanted to test the spider-sense dodging. In the same issue Eddie Brock stated how he would change his appearance several times while tailing Peter and Peter never noticed. And yes, the suit could imitate flesh so it is possible that the subway pusher's arm could have been Eddie's/Venom's and the pusher on the skyscraper could be his as well.

RECENT SW #8....

John thumbsup2.gif

I hope those were some super mint copies because I've seen SW #8 in the local shops and online for only a few bucks. Now I see Chuck at Mile High has it: http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=72795747460&snumber=1 , but again, that's Mile High. Now, I do see this listing:

But again, that's CGC'd. I'm sure you can get it cheaper raw. As far as the WSM #18 and #24, politics aside, the story did incorporate these two appearances into Eddie's story, Eddie Brock basically stating these were his first early tests of the suit to see if he could indeed sneak up on Peter. Yes, he knew Peter was Spider-man from the suit but he wanted to test the spider-sense dodging. In the same issue Eddie Brock stated how he would change his appearance several times while tailing Peter and Peter never noticed. And yes, the suit could imitate flesh so it is possible that the subway pusher's arm could have been Eddie's/Venom's and the pusher on the skyscraper could be his as well.

I agree 100%... I put it up on a whim and someone grabbed it! I guess the movie craze is kicking into high gear! That other auction you listed will probably end around the $150 mark. That's how they have been going for the last couple of weeks.

As for the WSM #18: I think that the only decent time to sell would have been when Wizard was hyping it as the 1st appearance. I can't see that book gaining any momentum.

BTW... what happened to your site? It's down???

John thumbsup2.gif

Ok. For the sake of argument it is "Venom." Does it really mean it is his first appearance? Does an arm really qualify? If I want a 1st appearance I want the whole shebang. None of this arm, shadow, half a face, or big toe business.

I think a redefinition of 1st appearances is in order! Here-ye, Here ye! We are CGC forumites and have total dominion over all that is Comicdom? Do we not?

Amazing Spiderman 300 is the first full appearance if thats what you want to know. Web of Spiderman 18 is the first appearance (behind the scenes), the others are cameos..

RECENT SW #8....

John thumbsup2.gif

I agree 100%... I put it up on a whim and someone grabbed it! I guess the movie craze is kicking into high gear! That other auction you listed will probably end around the $150 mark. That's how they have been going for the last couple of weeks.

As for the WSM #18: I think that the only decent time to sell would have been when Wizard was hyping it as the 1st appearance. I can't see that book gaining any momentum.

BTW... what happened to your site? It's down???

John thumbsup2.gif

Took the site down cause it was getting kind of more expensive that I wanted. I was adding more and more stuff and the space was just getting out of hand. I'm reworking it and it should be up in a a few weeks. Just taking a break for now.

Ok. For the sake of argument it is "Venom." Does it really mean it is his first appearance? Does an arm really qualify? If I want a 1st appearance I want the whole shebang. None of this arm, shadow, half a face, or big toe business.

Oh I agree with ya 100%. As far as the story went, I was like "Oh, okay, that explains what happened." But as a collector I have always gone with ASM 299 and 300 as the first cameo/appearance as Venom. I mean, I think it would be insane to run out and buy up WOS #18's and 24's.

I started this thread and even I dont think this is Venoms first appearance , not by a long shot but I think JC is correct , this would be a sort of prototype issue. But if you are a Venom fan or collector these are both cool issues to own. I just noticed that NM copys of this go for $12 on www.mycomicshop.com . issue 24 goes for a buck.