• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Antonio,Texas "JMV Comic Book Show" Sunday July 23,2006

21 posts in this topic

Just a friendly reminder about this weekend's show

San Antonio,Texas

"JMV Comic Book Show"

Sunday July 23,2006

Crowne Plaza Hotel - San Antonio Airport

1111 NE Loop 410

(Loop 410 exit Nacogdoches next to Luby's resturant)

Hours:10am -4pm Admission:$2.00

Early Buyers Admission:$5.00 (9am -10am)

$100.00 shopping spree at 3:30pm

Dealer Tables:$50.00 (only a few left)

Confirmed "Comic Book " dealers selling vintage to modern comics and related collectibles include:

Dimension 16 (Temple,Tx)

Jeff Hughes (Ft.Worth,Tx)

Karen Roy (San Antonio,Tx)

Rick Wayt (San Antonio,Tx) aka forum member "Bubbagump"

Richard Deck(San Antonio,Tx)

Frank Cristian(San Antonio,Tx)

Jose Basabe(San Antonio,Tx)

For more info contact:

JMV Entertainment

Po Box 151

Temple,Tx 76503

(254) 760 -8682

info@jmventertainment.com

www.jmventertainment.com

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

As the Dallas show gets closer I will post the names for the Dallas show.Do not forget to e-mail me a flyer for your website "ComicFanboyForum" to pass out at the San Antonio show.

This will be a good small show with mostly all comic book dealers.Unlike previous shows we have more dealer support this time.So if you live in South Texas come on by !

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Well.....I was more than a little apprehensive about setting up at this show considering all that has been posted about James' prior shows. Once I decided to do it, I figured that I would just be throwing the $50 table fee down the toilet. That said, at worst, it would give me an opportunity to bag, board and price more inventory w/o my kids interrupting me.

When James posted the list of dealers that had signed up for the show, I thought that could be a good thing (that it wouldn't be cancelled) and that it would be a bad thing (that we would be fighting over the slim pickings of customers).

This morning, I was all ready to get to work, but there was a problem....we actually had customers. 893applaud-thumb.gif Needless to say, I was very surprised. Overall, it was exactly as James has described his shows, a good, small show and something to build on. I was happy with the sales for the day, as was eveyone else. Although a few customers mentioned that they thought it would be a bigger show, they seemed pleased overall.

I do plan on setting up at James' future shows in San Antonio, and may try his Austin show on Labor Day weekend. Now if he would just put his future show dates in the Wizard, poke2.gif I think it would do wonders for dealer interest, as well as general attendance at the show.

Rick

Well.....I was more than a little apprehensive about setting up at this show considering all that has been posted about James' prior shows. Once I decided to do it, I figured that I would just be throwing the $50 table fee down the toilet. That said, at worst, it would give me an opportunity to bag, board and price more inventory w/o my kids interrupting me.

When James posted the list of dealers that had signed up for the show, I thought that could be a good thing (that it wouldn't be cancelled) and that it would be a bad thing (that we would be fighting over the slim pickings of customers).

This morning, I was all ready to get to work, but there was a problem....we actually had customers. 893applaud-thumb.gif Needless to say, I was very surprised. Overall, it was exactly as James has described his shows, a good, small show and something to build on. I was happy with the sales for the day, as was eveyone else. Although a few customers mentioned that they thought it would be a bigger show, they seemed pleased overall.

I do plan on setting up at James' future shows in San Antonio, and may try his Austin show on Labor Day weekend. Now if he would just put his future show dates in the Wizard, poke2.gif I think it would do wonders for dealer interest, as well as general attendance at the show.

Rick

glad the trend was reversed, any comic show is a good comic show in my book

Hopefully, the Dallas show will be decent. I won't be at Jame's show there, but I am planning on doing the Dallas Comic-Con in late October.

me too...the sci-fi expo a couple weeks ago here in Plano was put on by the same people who do the Dallas Comic-Con, and it was a great comic show in itself. so one actually called a "comic" show should be even better.

My thanks to the dealers who set up in San Antonio and to the collectors(about 138 including many high end tourists from Puerto Rico) who came out in the 105 degree heat of July .

Attention Vintage Comic Book Collectors in Texas ! If Rick Wayt (aka bubbagump) comes to a show near you ...Run.. don't walk... Run to his table because his selection of Silver Age and Bronze Age (at 50% off guide in most cases) will make your mouth water ! I can see why other comic book dealers what to keep Rick's inventory a secret for themselves.

Anyway on to the show report.

As Rick(Bubbagump) reported earlier Dealers were hesitant as they set up based on what they had seen on the "gossip" section of the forums.But those worries soon faded as collectors started to line up at the door during our early buyer hour !

Plus our show marked the return of two semi retired comic book dealers to the active show circut.Jeff Hughes of Ft.Worth and Richard Deck of San Antonio.

Some old time collectors may remember Richard has both a comic book show promoter and shop owner in the San Antonio area before becoming a full time attorney.

Collectors were delighted to find the large quality of comics.(San Diego who ?)

One collector who is a Army SSG with the 4th Infantry Division home on military leave from Iraq was with his family and showing his 7 year old son the fun and excitment of comic book collecting came up to me shook my hand and said with watery eyes " James,I have been to a lot of big comic conventions in Chicago and California,but right now I would not want to be at any other con than yours today because my son told me he loved this show so much and wanted to be a comic book collector just like you Daddy". I have to admit as a promoter it made me watery eyed too.

I look forward to the next "JMV Comic Book Show" in Dallas on August 13,2006

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

...including many high end tourists from Puerto Rico

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Last time it was "many high end tourists from Mexico". You really seem to be packing in the high end Latin America crowd.

...including many high end tourists from Puerto Rico

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Last time it was "many high end tourists from Mexico". You really seem to be packing in the high end Latin America crowd.

*cough* *cough* grin.gif

Yes we do cater to the Latin crowd in San Antonio where over 60% of the population is Hispanic. Combine that with Several Military bases in San Antonio and the hotel we use is near the San Antonio Airport and plus the military uses the hotel for people on TDY assignments and for MEPS applicants entering the service.

There are hispanics in San Antonio? Really? I'll have to check that out when I'm there visiting my hispanic in-laws next weekend.

I was more referring to the "high end" than hispanic, although the theme seems to be both "high end" and "hispanic". It sounds almost like "that girl that you're seeing"... you know the one that no one has met because she lives out of town.