• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feedback Forum

46 posts in this topic

I've waited patiently for a fellow forum member to resolve a problem we had with a book I purchased from them. The seller has been defensive/deflective since I informed them of the problem, and apparently doesn't consider this matter worthy of their attention. I was told that I would be receiving a partial refund last Saturday, but no money has been sent....and no PM was sent to let me know what's going on.

It all started in our very own marketplace: LINK

Here's the description & scan from the auction:

Here is the books resume.

Only 13 have ever been graded.

Only 5 have been sold that were CGC in the last 5 years.

Only 7 exist in 9.0 and better and all low 9s

Bernie Wrightson's first work.

This book is extremely rare to find and most if you do are VG or below. This House of Mystery #179 is a nice tight copy with great gloss and 4 stress lines. Back is nice. No tears or creases. I would grade it an 8.0 to 8.5.

From my personal collection. Last 8.5 cgc sold for almost 200 bucks. Good luck.

0hom179.jpg

The book was paid for via Paypal, and sent to a fellow forum member to have signed by Wrightson & submitted for a yellow label.

The book did indeed get signed & sealed, but here's what came back:

homlabel.jpg

A refund was offered, but it did not include the slabbing fees("it was your decision to get the book slabbed")...so I decided I'd keep the book. I asked the seller to simply send me a partial refund in the amount that they felt was warranted.

Nothing. tonofbricks.gif

As jduran has already offered to refund the book price, this whole question comes down to whether sellers are liable for CGC grading fees.

If you buy a NM copy, agree with the grade and it comes back a CGC 9.0, then I don't believe so, but with restoration detection, it's more of a grey zone.

What does everyone else think.

To me, giving back more money than the original deal is not something I would do. I don't know what I would have to do to keep a good buyer/seller relationship in this case. Was the book advertised as unrestored? If not, I say the buyer is stuck. If so, at least some or all of the grading fee should be refunded.

As jduran has already offered to refund the book price, this whole question comes down to whether sellers are liable for CGC grading fees.

In most cases I'd say they are not liable for CGC fees.

If you buy a NM copy, agree with the grade and it comes back a CGC 9.0, then I don't believe so, but with restoration detection, it's more of a grey zone.

Now this is a good question. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Ok, I think if it were me (I sold a book with resto as unrestored) then I might offer to split the CGC fees with the buyer and then offer a partial refund and he keep the book, or a full refund and they send the book back. Yea, probably something like that, but it's hard to say for sure. Needless to say, I'd try my best to come to a mutually satisfactory resolution.

What does everyone else think.