• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not Another Market Crash Thread....

198 posts in this topic

I was online late last night and noticed a shadow lurking outside my window.........I could hear what sounded almost like somebody mumbling over and over....."lousy bugaboo......filthy lousy bugaboo".

The guy was naked and I thought I saw what appeared to be the faint glint of a butcher knife in his hand. I didn't think much of it until I walked out on my patio this morning. Then I noticed that somebody had laid a bunch of CGC graded books out in the shape of a $ sign in my back yard and lit them on fire during the night. Based on this and on descriptions given to them by my neighbors, police have labeled this as a hate crime and are posting these in the neighborhood. blush.gif

223263-JoeWantedPoster.jpg

ROFL! Hilarious Bug!

Chris

You should get a strike for this... 893naughty-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif Just kidding! hi.gif

Given all the really mediocre crash threads lately, I thought folks should be reminded of how good a crash thread can be... smile.gif

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

May as well bump a Hulk 181 thread while you're at it... crazy.gif

As I told odinaardvark yesterday, we need a shades icon when you people change names 893naughty-thumb.gif

And I tried to find a good Hulk 181 thread... but there weren't any... tongue.gif

Hey Gene......are you still on a hiatus from buying back issues??????

Yep, haven't bought a CGC'd book since April 2003 and nothing of any note since mid-2002. There are a few books I'll consider if the price is right, but I'm content to wait until what I feel is the inevitable decline. The Census numbers are only helping my cause...I want a Thor #337 CGC 9.8 and the count in the census has tripled from three to nine in short order. I suspect the next update may show even more. The # of X-Men #94 CGC 9.6s (another book I want) keeps steadily increasing as well (especially now that dealers have adopted the practice of "pressing" books en masse to earn higher grades - some of the newly-graded HG SA and BA books hitting the market these days are very obviously pressed and otherwise cleaned up using methods that CGC does not consider resto). And now that a 9.8 #94 has shown up, that should pretty much cap the appreciation in 9.6 prices. I'm sure that eventually I'll be able to get a nice 9.4 or 9.6 copy at a price I can live with.

I've been focusing my collecting efforts in the past year on original art instead...not saying this sector isn't overpriced (much of it undoubtedly is), but I personally get more satisfaction from it. Also, there is the built-in rationalization that you can't just sit on the sidelines and wait for the Census numbers to grow (as they inevitably do with comics), because the "Census" will never be greater than one for a given piece. I just agreed on a deal for a couple of gorgeous pieces this week...will post scans in 2-3 weeks when they arrive.

Gene

Hey I have figured out how you could really add value to your GI Joe art. Why don't you hunt down the original art for the recently released homage to GI #21 (remiger?????). How awsemone would it be to have all of it. thumbsup2.gif

Hey I have figured out how you could really add value to your GI Joe art. Why don't you hunt down the original art for the recently released homage to GI #21 (remiger?????). How awsemone would it be to have all of it. thumbsup2.gif

I know who has it...the owner is a huge Joe fan! I think there's a much better chance of me selling my Joe #21 art to him than the other way around...in fact, he's already expressed interest in it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

After a little over a year of art collecting, I've finally found my focus. Nowadays, I'm pretty much only collecting paintings (primarily Vampirella) by Spanish artists Enrich and Jose Gonzalez. I'm happy with the traditional comic art I've acquired to date (Joe #21 included), but I've determined that nice paintings are what I really appreciate, so I doubt you'll see me buying many/any regular comic pages going forward.

Gene