• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

G.A. Green Lantern #1 CGC 6.5 Fine+ Stolen at SD Con.

83 posts in this topic

Sorry to see this type of thing happen.

That makes it bad for every Dealer at any Con - they need to be ever-so-vigilant as now petty criminals know that comics are worth a lot of money. Too bad.

CAL frown.gif

Great job, Davenport! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I just added the scan to the original post. That wrap makes it a sore thumb. Anyone think they can blow this up, maybe get the CGC numbers, just in case??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

acclaim.gifThere's GIANT front and back cover scans of it on CLink. (And you can read the serial number: 0000325005 .) gossip.gif

GREEN LANTERN GOLDEN AGE #1

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Start keeping an eye on eBay for the comic...

and look for the longest time as it will suredly show up.

How about contacting the major dealers and/or sending them the info - they won't want to be a part of a "hot" book I am sure.

CAL

This sucks. I had the Windy City Cap 1 stolen at San Diego back in 1989. The thief held on to it for nearly 7 years before he decided it was safe to bring it out.

WRONG!

As soon as he showed it to a prospective buyer, the buyer smelled a rat and contacted Steve Fishler (who had once owned it - I traded it to him and got it back later in another deal) who confirmed that it was the Windy City (there's a slight dust shadow on the spine).

Through a very elaborate sting operation I got the book back, but had to forgo pressing charges. Even though he got off the hook (criminally) he never made a cent on his theft.

Hopefully Ron won't have to wait 7 years to get his book back.

And yes, I knew what I was doing and so does Ron. But sometimes the thieves are so clever and so deceptive that they catch even the most seasoned dealers snoozing sometimes. I can tell you in all certainty: Every major dealer has had key GA and SA books stolen at shows, at their stores - even their offices.

It's a part of doing business that truly sucks.

--Gary

That is a horror story that could not possibly be fiction. That reeks. Sorry for your troubles BUT you did get the comic back???

CAL 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Something happened at the show today and some books were recovered I think. I don't have the details though.

Unfortunately, there were some other thefts earlier... one that happened to a board member. I don't know if the news came out yet about that one yet.

Whoever stole the book had to know what it was worth. It's too much of a high ticket item to be just a random act of thievery.

This is a good lesson to all vendors to watch their stuff closely. I've been to a few shows as a vendor and it's really easy to drop your guard, especially when you are surrounded by fellow collectors who share the same interests as you do. False sense of security. confused-smiley-013.gif

This is terrible news. frown.gif

Perhaps the CGC slabs should be produced witha small hole placed in the upper right corner (next to the label), so the owner can run a piece of steel wire through them. People can still look at the book, but won't be able to carry it more than a few feet away without the owner having to detach it first. The thief can still steal the book if they had wire cutters, but I'm sure someone would notice. Either that or a small platic thingy with a hole can be attached to each book by the owner.

Every major dealer has had key GA and SA books stolen at shows

--Gary

Unfortunately quite true. Never mind the non-key stuff. The thief in Redbeards case had a lot of balls to steal such a high profile book. Maybe the thief just wanted to free the book from it's prison as a protest, read it and then send it back.

Perhaps the CGC slabs should be produced witha small hole placed in the upper right corner (next to the label), so the owner can run a piece of steel wire through them. People can still look at the book, but won't be able to carry it more than a few feet away without the owner having to detach it first. The thief can still steal the book if they had wire cutters, but I'm sure someone would notice. Either that or a small platic thingy with a hole can be attached to each book by the owner.

or don't let thrillseekers hold a 17k book or even come within 5 feet of it.

Maybe the slab should come with a self destruct device.

BOOM!

No more comic thief... or comic. insane.gif

BOOM!

Take the thief and the book out in one shot. insane.gif

Perhaps, a (spider) tracer can installed inside the case. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Or maybe CGC should start putting a small hole in the top right of the CGC case, so that dealers holding extreme valuable books could attach a laptop-like security cord to them.

BOOM!

27_laughing.gif i can just see the signs at the front of booths.

"Back off, you are in the blast zone!"

Or maybe CGC should start putting a small hole in the top right of the CGC case, so that dealers holding extreme valuable books could attach a laptop-like security cord to them.

What I've seen some dealers do is put books like this in a locking case that is itself secured to the table with one of those laptop security cords / chains. Seemed pretty foolproof.

Would drilling a small hole void the guarantee of the CGC case?

This is actually an excellent idea. While not likely to happen, it would be interesting to see CGC create a slab with a reinforced corner that has some type of rivet insert with a hole in it that would allow a book to be secured to a table, or wall with a steel cord.(similar to how cameras are displayed at retail stores.) Since many a majority of dealers bring HG slabs to conventions it would be nice if there was a way, other then locking them in a case, or hiding them under plastic to display them.

Or you could just use it to make a REALLY big key chain, or hang them around your room like a big CGC mobile.

Ze-