• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

G.A. Green Lantern #1 CGC 6.5 Fine+ Stolen at SD Con.

83 posts in this topic

Metropolis has a nice set up, where they lay some books flat on their table and lay a see through plastic sheet over the entire table. The books are clearly visable, but can only be handled with the help of a salesman. Their shelf books are also much too far for any passersby to grab.

Would drilling a small hole void the guarantee of the CGC case?

This is actually an excellent idea. While not likely to happen, it would be interesting to see CGC create a slab with a reinforced corner that has some type of rivet insert with a hole in it that would allow a book to be secured to a table, or wall with a steel cord.(similar to how cameras are displayed at retail stores.) Since many a majority of dealers bring HG slabs to conventions it would be nice if there was a way, other then locking them in a case, or hiding them under plastic to display them.

Or you could just use it to make a REALLY big key chain, or hang them around your room like a big CGC mobile.

Ze-

Actually, CGC could sell that as part of their service and create an accessories department for securing and displaying slabs. This would only slightly extend their business model and allow them to realized increased revenue.

[n a case, or hiding them under plastic to display them.

Or you could just use it to make a REALLY big key chain, or hang them around your room like a big CGC mobile.

Ze-

Better still are those adhesive slips that stick to plastic and have chains (albeit plastic) attached to them. They can be added with modification to the existing slabs out there, but getting them off with a suitable adhesive would have to be a quick process so as not to damage the plastic of the slab.

just another option really...

Or for high price slabs, a tracking device like the ones that go in cars. They can't be that large these days.

Which only work until the thief cracks the slab.

stick a tracker to the actual book, anti theft systems are not restoration. Give it a red label and call it security series.

Or for high price slabs, a tracking device like the ones that go in cars. They can't be that large these days.

stick a tracker to the actual book, anti theft systems are not restoration. Give it a red label and call it security series.

27_laughing.gif

But they people would get confused when we talk about SS.

Metropolis has a nice set up, where they lay some books flat on their table and lay a see through plastic sheet over the entire table. The books are clearly visable, but can only be handled with the help of a salesman. Their shelf books are also much too far for any passersby to grab.

Yeah they are probably the only smart ones.

Yeah they are probably the only smart ones.

That's partly due to the fact that Metro, unlike other sellers who rely on volume (and therefore need to have solely boxes on their tables) can opt for a display of higher end books on their tables.

technologically it would be quite simple to do it with RFID tags in price stickers on a per show basis. The issue is whether the set up cost outweighs the actual risk,

Big Pharma is already under tremendous scrutiny for using RFID tags. Depending on whether they come out unscathed or not by the whole privacy debate surrounding RFID tags will really determine whether adoption across a variety of industries is viable, or nothing more than a PR nightmare.

RFID tags are widely used now in the UK by the big supermarkets, and there's barely been a whimper about them.

i was referring to RFID as a feasible long term technological solution, rather than from any kind of ideological viewpoint (I'm personally quite opposed to them).

I've sadly never been to a comic book convention, so I'm not sure what the security is like. If you have about 50 dealers set-up at the convention, why can't they all chip in about $20 each and higher their own two man team ($500 each for the X-day convention) to constantly roam the tables. Heck, they can even advertise that a couple of plain clothed individuals are on the look out. Either that or get one of those self installed, anti theft cameras set-up at your booth. The darn thing can even be a prop and not necssarily work............anything to make the thief think twice before stealing your books!

I've sadly never been to a comic book convention

893whatthe.gif Why? We have the best one in the nation, for buying at least, right here in Chicago.

Yeah if I lived in Chicago I would definately be going to the cons.

I've sadly never been to a comic book convention

893whatthe.gif Why? We have the best one in the nation, for buying at least, right here in Chicago.

Yeah, I know. I tried to make it this year, but will unfortuantely be out of town that week. Same thing happened last year.

Hey there Kiltman...

Where ya been?

I haven't seen you spamming the boards much lately.

sorry.gif I don't spam.

Not been anywhere really, still lurk reading posts, just don't have as much to say as i used to tongue.gif