• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylars and backing boards question

44 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see a thread for it.

For years I have used regular white backing boards and regular bags on my collection. I've been slowly switching my books to the more expensive, thicker mylars. I've switched my more expensive books to them and am working on some of the lower dollar stuff.

My question: How many of you use boards with the thicker mylars? Right now, I just have the books in mylars without boards. I've heard that in the long run the boards break down and will damage the back of the books.

Thanks for the input. cool.gif

Scott

Compared to the damage of the easy possibility of bending a comic in the mylar. And just as easily getting it in and out of the mylar (without sliding the board along with the comic) I think the board is well worth any possible damage.

Also, from yellowing 20 year bags to brown halo'd boards, I have never seen normal comic protectors cause damage. Even shrink wrap plastic that you practically have to pull off doesn't seen to mdamage books.

The plastic itself and a nice book inside crappy plastic looks like damage but any tanning or discoloration of back covers is usually caused by light, heat, or humid environment. Also, for comics in mylars that aren't stored tightly, the top edge can be less white than the bottom part stored snug in the mylar.

My limited experieince is that exposure causes 99 of defects in unhandled comics. The bending of a book without backboard is a serious risk for high grade.

I recommend full-backs with 2-mil mylites as seen here. The full-backs are acid free, and are much more rigid than the typical comic book backing board. I don't care for the open top Mylars as they are, well, open at the top...a recipe for disaster as I have seen a book slide out of the mylar while en route to me, getting snagged on the tape that was used to tape together the cardboard "sandwich". foreheadslap.gif

I tell ya, there are so many different bags it is tough to figure out the best ones! The 2-mil mylites do look good and the prices are not bad. I might try those next time I order.

To benefit from the protection of a 4 mil mylar without leaving one end open, consider what I do with my more valuable books: store in a 1 mil mylite with full backing board, then place inside a 4 mil mylar.

Less valuable books simply get the 1 mil mylite with full backing board treatment.

I put every comic, Gold to Modern, in a mylar sleeve with a time externder from Bill Cole. When I ship a book to some one, I surround the mylar in bubble wrap, folded over and taped down on all sides. This is so there is no chance of the book touching tape.

For keeping at home, I see no problem with open ended mylars.

Just curious, but does anyone have an photos of what the mylites look like? I have, believe it or not, never seen them before, and I am cosidering switching to them for more of my silver, and higher valued bronze comics.

Right now, I have most of my books in regular old bags and backs. But, over the past few years, I have been switching my favorites and more expensive books to open-ended mylars from Bill Cole. I have all my books in closed boxes, of course, and in the finished basement we have. I think my books are well preserved right now but I might start ordering the mylars that close. Couldn't hurt...

I was doing fine for 20+ years, moving from house to apartment to apartment- then I moved into a new house a few months ago. After 3 days of high humidity and effective lack of air conditioning in 90 degree heat, I lost about 10% of my bagged collection to moisture warping from the humidity. I lost 100% of my open bagged and non-bagged collection, by comparison. All of it warped beyond collectibility.

Thankfully, everything I had worth 'real' money was in a different room in the house, and was spared, including my entire GA collection.

Right now, I have most of my books in regular old bags and backs. But, over the past few years, I have been switching my favorites and more expensive books to open-ended mylars from Bill Cole.

I use normal bags and boards for most of my collection but right now I am trying to get all of my Batman issues in mylars with at least a half back.

Just curious, but does anyone have an photos of what the mylites look like? I have, believe it or not, never seen them before, and I am cosidering switching to them for more of my silver, and higher valued bronze comics.

They don't look all that different from a normal bag. They are a lot more rigid. Also the half back and full back look like a normal backing board but they are thicker. I don't think a photo will show you anything.

Halfbacks are about half thickness to a Full back. In otherwords, Fullbacks are about twice as thick as Halfbacks. Which are still plenty thick. Plus they are cheaper. I store my moderns (double bagged/board) in them.

I don't think I've ever seen these half-backs. They sound odd. Why would half a backing board be desireable? I'm being serious.

Like Timmy said, they aren't half of a backing board. They are half the thickness of a full back. I don't know the relationship between a normal backing board and a half back but the half back is thicker.