• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New York Comic Book Spectacular 4 Sunday October 8th

30 posts in this topic

got tickets to Giants/Redskins, so obviously football takes precedence over comics -- never made it to one of these shows -- hopefully someone from the boards will stop by and deliver a con report!

I going to go pick up an FF4 from TVcomics, so I'll let you know how it was.

I have to say this show is alot better than the last show(which was the first show) that I attended. Better selection of books and friendly easy-going atmosphere, too.

I hade a "date" with Byron of TVComics fame and pulled the trigger on a VG Fantastic Four #4 he had in waiting for me. One thing about buying from Byron, he knows his books and when you buy a book from him he has the history ready to tell. He is one dealer you never ever have to worry about when buying the "expensive" stuff. I would suggest everyone look him up and I'm sure you are all familiar with him from Ted's Lunchonette collection of Spider-Man.

As the other dealers go, there were some with some high grade books and about the same with mid-grade books. I'm sure there were plenty of happy people there today.

The only downside is the cost of getting there from outside the city....parking is $16, $5 to get in the show, $6 to go through the tunnel, another roughly $8 for NJ tolls................it all adds up, but it was a nice day in NYC and the FF4 completes my FF set from 1 to 200..!! Yippee for me......!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have to say this show is alot better than the last show(which was the first show) that I attended. Better selection of books and friendly easy-going atmosphere, too.

I hade a "date" with Byron of TVComics fame and pulled the trigger on a VG Fantastic Four #4 he had in waiting for me. One thing about buying from Byron, he knows his books and when you buy a book from him he has the history ready to tell. He is one dealer you never ever have to worry about when buying the "expensive" stuff. I would suggest everyone look him up and I'm sure you are all familiar with him from Ted's Lunchonette collection of Spider-Man.

As the other dealers go, there were some with some high grade books and about the same with mid-grade books. I'm sure there were plenty of happy people there today.

The only downside is the cost of getting there from outside the city....parking is $16, $5 to get in the show, $6 to go through the tunnel, another roughly $8 for NJ tolls................it all adds up, but it was a nice day in NYC and the FF4 completes my FF set from 1 to 200..!! Yippee for me......!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That's "Sid's Luncheonette"

Why would you pay to park? Sunday on the West Side?

I don't know the area that well and $16 to park is better than having my car towed on a Sunday and paying towing charges and storage fee of 2 days........

Let me know what I should have done.

Damn it..I could have bought another book......!!!!

I stopped by the show on Sunday just to take a look around,brought my son and daughter along as well. The lady at the door charged me and my daughter $5 each when i told her we found out about the show from the forum. My total time at the show was 20 minutes, TV Comics was about the best Silver Age dealer there. I looked at some Strange Tales, particulary #114 with Captain America, but was not happy with the condition.All in all a good show for picking up cheap comics, mostly moderns, although there were a few boxes with some nice Bronze books, not many high grade Silver, especially DC.

I stopped by the show on Sunday just to take a look around,brought my son and daughter along as well. The lady at the door charged me and my daughter $5 each when i told her we found out about the show from the forum. My total time at the show was 20 minutes, TV Comics was about the best Silver Age dealer there. I looked at some Strange Tales, particulary #114 with Captain America, but was not happy with the condition.All in all a good show for picking up cheap comics, mostly moderns, although there were a few boxes with some nice Bronze books, not many high grade Silver, especially DC.

There were alot of high grade books at at least 6 different dealer tables that I saw.

Question: how many high grade books make a "good" show..?? This kind of a show is never going to be like a Big Apple show or a Javits Center show......

This kind of a show is never going to be like a Big Apple show or a Javits Center show......

Correct. We are just a family run "comic book show". Nothing more. Nothing less. My wife is the lady at the door and my kids work the tables. It's a big room with 75 tables of comic books and comic book creators.

People who like to read and collect comic books like the show. It has been a fun, enthusiastic environment and we have a waiting list for both dealer and small press space.

No show will ever have enough high grade books to make high grade collectors happy. If they were common they would not be fun to collect!

The collector/reader makes up the vast quiet majority of our attendees.

Maybe you should change the name of you function to "New York Comic Book Show" or "NYC Comic Book Show". The word "Spectacular" maybe pumping up some collectors into thinking that they are getting into a multi day / multi -media convention.

But based on past collector reports overall you have the best one day Comic Book shows going between Boston and New York.