• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Sequel Title and Casting of Joker Confirmed.

43 posts in this topic

The Batman Begins Sequel will be titled "The Dark Knight" and Heath Ledger as the Joker has been confirmed offically. Batman Begins Sequel News

I think it's a good choice. MUCH better than Robin Williams.

It's gotten painful to watch the first Batman with Jack Nicholson.

The villains in superhero movies should not be played by Superstars.

I remember all the Robert DeNiro " Dr Octopus" talk.

Aaargh.

I thought Jack Nicholson was awesome as the Joker in the first Batman confused-smiley-013.gif

I know I can't be alone on this one...

Jack was awesome! thumbsup2.gif

I loved Jack in the film. No he's not tall and slender but I thought he played Joker with a nice mix. Insanely comical and extremely dark at times just the way the Joker should be. The most painful thing about the film is the 80's style clothing.

I think Ledger could work as long as he doesn't try to do Nicholson doing the Joker. I set up some Brokeback jokes there. I hope they don't try to do an origin of the Joker. Let's just have a statement or two from Gordon about what his detectives have learned and go from there.

I hope they go with him being the anti-Bruce Wayne angle. Good looking guy who looses his looks. We have seen the other actors fans wanted do crazy roles. It's not expected of Ledger so it will be interesting to see if he can pull it off.

They don't need to do an origin of the Joker, all the need to do is show him doing his thing: emulating his obsession, the costumed vigilante. In Miller's The Dark Knight Returns the Joker is just a psycho homosexual with a thing for Batman who wears makeup and dyes his hair. Batman took a lot of time to design his costume, ergo the Joker takes the time to apply his makeup and dye his hair. I kind of like that angle: he does his psychotic killing behavior to attract Batman's attention. I can do without the chemical bath that permanently dyes his skin and hair.

Artboy99

I thought all 4 Batman movies were painful to watch (up until Begins), and Nicolson was no exception--I'd agree that he was the highlight of the first four for sure, although Carey wasn't a bad Riddler (yet no one ever talks about that because the film was just soooo bad). The problem I had with Nicolson's Joker was he was supposed to be a maniac--sure, he killed some people and sent that gas in the air, but he was too comical. Remember, in the comics the Joker had just killed Robin and his mother, and crippled Barbara Gordon in the "Killing Joke." I feel he gets way too much credit and I also feel the guy (from "Red Eye" and "28 Days Later", can't remember his name), who played the Scarecrow was exceptionally better as a bad guy and blew away any other performance (although we all know Christian was by far the best of the Batmen as well).

Jay

I thought all 4 Batman movies were painful to watch (up until Begins), and Nicolson was no exception--I'd agree that he was the highlight of the first four for sure, although Carey wasn't a bad Riddler (yet no one ever talks about that because the film was just soooo bad). The problem I had with Nicolson's Joker was he was supposed to be a maniac--sure, he killed some people and sent that gas in the air, but he was too comical. Remember, in the comics the Joker had just killed Robin and his mother, and crippled Barbara Gordon in the "Killing Joke." I feel he gets way too much credit and I also feel the guy (from "Red Eye" and "28 Days Later", can't remember his name), who played the Scarecrow was exceptionally better as a bad guy and blew away any other performance (although we all know Christian was by far the best of the Batmen as well).

Jay

Cillian Murphy thumbsup2.gif

I was trying to figure out what he might look like, so I lightened up a picture of him and messed around with coloring his hair. I suppose he could pull it off as a young Joker, but I dunno.

1334731-joker.jpg

1334731-joker.jpg.e412560e816cc513dea44c52859547af.jpg

I think Ledger could work as long as he doesn't try to do Nicholson doing the Joker. I set up some Brokeback jokes there. I hope they don't try to do an origin of the Joker. Let's just have a statement or two from Gordon about what his detectives have learned and go from there.

I hope they go with him being the anti-Bruce Wayne angle. Good looking guy who looses his looks. We have seen the other actors fans wanted do crazy roles. It's not expected of Ledger so it will be interesting to see if he can pull it off.

I agree, Ledger doesn't do Jim Carrey but I think Ledger has the natural smile with a serious glint in his eye to do "crazy". When I first heard of the casting choice I was not put off. Given the serious tone of the first film, I think this incarnation of the Joker will not resemble Jacks classic, campy role in the least. In fact I bet this will be the most evil, flat out sick crazy waccko we have seen to date. As he should be, Joker may be smiling, but he is flat out evil.

They could be cashing in on a "hot name actor" or they wanted someone who could pull off the early years of the Joker story, and let makeup handle the later years.

Or both.

Eitherway it will all depend more on the -script, then the actors.

Ze-

I thought all 4 Batman movies were painful to watch (up until Begins), and Nicolson was no exception--I'd agree that he was the highlight of the first four for sure, although Carey wasn't a bad Riddler (yet no one ever talks about that because the film was just soooo bad).

Jay

Actually many people who post anything about that film say that carey was the bright spot. Although some felt it was too over the top. I thought he was good at least he made the film entertaining.

I am surprised that Heath is playing the Joker to say the least. I acredit him with being in my two least favorite movies ever! This will reflect poorly on me I am sure but I rented The Patriot and actually saw Four Feathers in the theater.Yikes! Not all the fault of the actor agreed. The only Batman movie for me is the latest. It really is as much about the villain as the hero and thecurrent two villains were both terriffic. Here is hoping Heath can pull it off.

I believe Nolan & Warner Brothers were looking at one person in particular early on in the casting process that would have been fantastic...Remember McFly from Back to the Future (Crispin Glover), AKA Willard.

Glover was one of many actors Nolan was looking at for the part of the Joker. I think this might have been a better fit not only from an acting standpoint but for the physical look and feel of the character (skinny, pale, pointed chin, they would have to paint his face and their good to go!!) It would have saved them a lot of money...

Like several others stated above, the actor for this role does not have to be a major name for people to go see the film, it just needs to have a great story and good director...Hopefully Heath can pull it off, the title is definitely interesting....

Did Nolan actually pursue Glover? I don't remember anything in regards to them going after him, just fanboy speculation from sources who knew so and so who knew this person who knows Nolan. I am glad they are not going with Glover or anyone else who has a reputation for playing creepy characters.

isn't christian slater a clone of jack nicholson? i always thought he would be a good choice. but christopher nolan hasn't made a misstep yet (well,maybe katie holmes wasn't a good choice). the guy can flat out direct. as long as he's attached, i'm in.

The Batman Begins Sequel will be titled "The Dark Knight" and Heath Ledger as the Joker has been confirmed offically. Batman Begins Sequel News

Aaargh.

I thought Jack Nicholson was awesome as the Joker in the first Batman confused-smiley-013.gif

Your not.

Heath isn't a top choice of mine, but after Batman Begins and the casting of Cillian Murphy and Bale he gets wide, wide latitude from me.

(Though that and 50 cents won't buy you a cup of coffee)

Aaargh.

Your not.

He's got.... WHAT ?