• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT : Any Knowledgable People

33 posts in this topic

Sorry to be OT people, long story short>

Got my laptop today, tried to install a wireless router foreheadslap.gif, finally gave up.

Now Internet Explorer will not open up on the old computer frustrated.gif(my wifes computer frown.gif)

It has Windows 98 and there is no tech support for it any longer yeahok.gif

Windows 98 ??? What is that . lol .

I didnt think anyone even used 98 anymore . wow. I have an old laptop (about 6 years old) and it has XP on it.

I dont think windows 98 was very good with routers and networks. I remember when i was setting up my wireless network at home and people told me try to use windows 2000 or up. Must be something to it.

You can put XP on some of those old PC's . I have 2 old PC's and and an older laptop and I got Xp to work on all of them.

I will buy Windows XP and try it tomorrow, thanks for the tip
Buy? confused-smiley-013.gif

Some people like to be LEGAL. sumo.gif

I have a legal one tongue.gif

Nikos: Is your laptop new or used? If used, make sure it can accomodate Windows XP. It sounds like it is used, in which case you may need a "newer" laptop. crazy.gif

Just a heads up: If you can stomach a Linux distribution, you can typically "do more" with less hardware. Lots of caveats though.

Laptop is brand new, this is what i am using tonight, its awesome. My problem is my wifes PC that I messed up frown.gif Hopefully I will have it resolved before I come back from Greece with the wife blush.gif

I will buy Windows XP and try it tomorrow, thanks for the tip

Don't unless your computer more than meets the minimum specs. Windows XP can make your computer run very slowly...

Jim