• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop the Presses: Mile High 3 Collection for Chuck??

88 posts in this topic

Thanks for the links. I found another pic on his site taken that day...

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... I decided this one needed three more...

chuck.jpg

Wow Chuck really is the comic Road Warrior...

I can see him now, decked out in leather, driving that beat up truck...fighting off hordes of motorcycled bandits on the highway...

And why is he doing it ?? For the children man, for the children....

It boggles the mind why nobody has released a comic based on Chuck's life....I mean the pope got one confused.gifrantpost.gif

No, no, no - those boxes are mearly labeled X-Factor to throw off the would-be mobsters that pray on Truck drivers hauling valuable comics back to Colorado.

In fact, the Detective #'s 1 - 40 are in a box labeled "Coverless New Universe" and the early Actions are in a box labeled "Rob Liefeld post-Image work".

You have to be very crafty when dealing with the Russian Comic Mafia.

Chuck also hides his jewelry in those fake coke cans in the refrigerator.

Chuck also hides his jewelry in those fake coke cans in the refrigerator.

Who doesn't? Like someone is gonna realize those aren't real Coke cans.. Those things are 100 percent safe..c'mon what kinda company is going to send such wonderful product catalogs to criminals? :\

Hell I've got the fake Coke beer cans too! All I need is the fake rock outside with my house key underneath!

Brian

I used to hide my comics in fake CGC holders and switch the labels so people really thought my high grade books came back as .5's - but then that dang Russian comic mafia got wind of what I was doing and I've been on the lamb ever since.

Now I hide my comics inside those Godzilla toys with the shooting fists.

Oops - dang it. I shouldn't have said that. sumo.gif

Shame on all of you!

Didn't you read? Chuck is on a Mission... FROM GOD! cool.gif

took the time to pray (the seller and his family are very dedicated Christians...) for the Lord's guidance. He then said a prayer for the success of our venture, and had his son (who is in training to be a preacher) also say a prayer. While I am not particularly devout, I felt incredibly honored by this display of faith in me as a person, and in my abilities. The seller could not have manifested any single other type of action that could have inspired me to work harder to try to live up to his, and God's, faith in me. I suddenly felt this enormous weight of personal responsibility. It wasn't an uncomfortable feeling, but I sure felt it settle into place on my shoulders. It is still there now. I am totally dedicated to prove to this man that he made the right decision in choosing me as a working partner in selling his wonderful comics.

Let's all open our hymnals now to sing "Onward Christian Soldiers"

Z.

Good Ole' Chuck! Ever helping the hobby. I think this story even tops his discovery of the Edgar Church collection. Great comments by everyone, esp. Darth and Zilla (the gas only/hot air comment was hilarious).

I think Darth hit the nail on the head w/ the peyote comments. I can see Chuck now, dancing naked (yikes!) in the desert for days on end....."I am the Lizard King! I can do anything!"

You have to admit though, he is a modern "renaissance" man: hippy, businessman, grifter, adventurer, tale-spinner......the man has done it all!!!!

His whole story is wrought w/ more shameless self-promotion than almost all of his Tales from the Database stories combined!

Chris

I like that he allows each of his underlings,I mean employees, to have veto power over a deal which will change his direction for the next few years. If only Enron had been considerate. just think how much better off Martha Stewart would be today.

Okay... still trying to figure this out...

He says he rents a UHaul for $1600... In 2001, I rented a 26-foot UHaul for a one-way trip of 2200 miles and it cost me just $950...

He talks about 8500 key comics, which in 4mil Mylars takes 44 long boxes. You can fit that in a 7-passenger van no problem, and a one-way rental would be a whole lot cheaper than $1600. Heck, you could rent one from Alamo and have a grunt employee drive the thing back. Between rental, gas, return airfare, and wages for the grunt, you're still under $700...

He also mentions that the whole collection is 400,000 comics. Now that certainly won't fit in a 7-passenger van. In fact, at 57,000 pounds, you can't even put that in a 53-foot tractor trailer. Not that UHaul rents anything bigger than a 26-foot truck (which by the way has a load limit of just 11,000 pounds).

So instead, he says he did 80,000 comics in a 24-foot truck... The 24-foot trucks that UHaul rents have a load limit of just 9,100 pounds. It's no wonder he says the truck has no power. He was 2,300 pounds over the load limit!

According to his story, he took 11,400 pounds of comics, by himself, from San Diego to Denver. Why in the world didn't he fly someone else down to make the trip with him? Why didn't he hire an off-duty police officer to ride shotgun? Would've cost him $600 tops, including the return plane fare. Who helped him load the truck? That's a lot of comics to load by yourself...

He says the 8500 comics will total $4mil by themselves. Why not drive those in a nice comfy van and come back for the rest later? Or have the rest of the books shipped by truck? There are so many false economies in this story it's unreal! Geez, on a $4mil deal, it's gotta be worth it to spend an extra couple grand to make the process smoother!

I love a good story as much as the next guy... and I am happy that some more nice comics will be on the marketplace, although part of me wonders if some of this stuff isn't from the rumored Mafia job three years ago in SoCal... Regardless, even if they are at "Mile High" prices, there are some books that are just never available, and it will be nice to see them change hands... but Chuck's story is more than a little nuts...

Hey aman! The story mentions links to pics... Can you pull those links out of the email so we can see these beautiful books?

uhaulquote.jpg

Thanks for the clarification, oldguy...

I guess UHaul has no interest in seeing their trucks go to Denver right now. Because I have run quotes on the "Texas to Oregon" trip to move storage unit stuff a couple dozen times in the past three years, and it's never been more than $1200. And that trip is 2,141 miles... Their one-way rates are as much about adjusting inventories as they are about mileage...

I still can't believe how horrifying it must have been for him to drive a truck through the desert knowing he had X-Factor and Richie Rich in the back... It's a wonder he got out alive...

" guess no one from Chuck's family should be getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle...(unless the wear their veil on their DMV ID - I love Chuck's earlier shot at the gov't - those bastards for making us get identification in the form of licenses and passports - big brother paranoid freek...too much Peyote, Chuck)"

Too Funny! 27_laughing.gif893Funny-thumb.gif

Stll think the adventure needed a love interest....he should have met a beautiful mysterious lady at the Hotel...real Laren Bacall type....possibly working secretly for the Russian mob to try to seduce chuckles and swipe the books,...but after one wild night of passion under the desert moonlight she secumbs to chuckles suave charms and rides off with him in his U-haul....sniff...sniff....Now that's a story!!

Jonny D.

Everybody is being too harsh on Chuck. At least, he will have some comics on display in San Diego comicon this yr instead of just computer access to his trove of X-factor & Richie (Chuck) Riches. goodevil.gif

Didn't you read? It's going to take him months just to select the best 40,000 of those X-Factors... and another six months to print the certificates for them!

If we're lucky, he may have three copies of X-Factor 12 with him at San Diego...

Stll think the adventure needed a love interest....he should have met a beautiful mysterious lady at the Hotel...real Laren Bacall type....possibly working secretly for the Russian mob to try to seduce chuckles and swipe the books,...but after one wild night of passion under the desert moonlight she secumbs to chuckles suave charms and rides off with him in his U-haul....sniff...sniff....Now that's a story!!

ROFLMAO!!!!! 27_laughing.gif

That would be great! And, JohnnyD, thanks for giving me a great idea for a new contest.......

Chris

LMAO

I saw the typo but it takes a special mind to put 2 and 2 together like you did!

but then again, I ve never benn on the lamb, or the cow.. once on the golden retriever tho, but dont tell anyone.....