• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop the Presses: Mile High 3 Collection for Chuck??

88 posts in this topic

shadroch -

Consignment means low risk, Chuck's perilous journey notwithstanding. He can sit on these books for a long time and be happy with having them trickle out the door.

The unknown variable is the grades the books are in. Chuck thinks they're great.... for what that's worth. The real key is the owner's eye for books and who he bought them from.

Well, I guess I'm just the biggest insufficiently_thoughtful_person in the world because I just purchased some Supes' silver age comics (VG) from Chuck....

Of course, that doesn't make me a Chuck-convert, and he's not the only dealer I deal with...Sometimes those sales he puts on does have a way of drawing you in....

So, let's review. This bozo took some tremendously high grade books (I'm sure many of the GA have restoration, given the time at which they were bought, even if the collector in question looked out for it) and stacked the boxes, threw them in a truck with a metal and wood trailer and no climate control, over-loaded the truck to the point of recklessness, risks accidents, drove across a desert where I'm sure they baked, then parked the truck overnight and let it sit in a desert town where the temp. drops precipitously at night (can you say condensation, nevermind paper damage), makes it to his destination, where he proceeds to stand on the boxes while two of his lackies sits on them. If I was the owner of these books, I would be out and out bullsheet about this. I'm not sure what the alternatives might have been, but nowhere does he even mention considering or taking steps to ensure they made it to his warehouse undamaged. And yet he claims to have unmatched respect for the hobby. Nice.

Huh. Had I realized that the smokin' heap-o-u-haul that rolled by my house a few days ago contained mighty Chuck and his newest, shiny collection, I woulda rolled out with the chopper bunch & flagged him down & taken my revenge from the Alternate Realities days...

Great thread - you guys kill me!

Look, as long as I get one of those limited-edition, *signed* certificates of authenticity, I'll be a happy camper. It will no doubt read thusly:

"This certificate authenticates the comic found herein as being one of 400,000 randomly-assembled funnybooks from an unnamed, half-blind collector in LaLa-land. This signifies your ownership of .00025% of a multi-owner collection whose provenance is absolutely guaranteed by one of comicbookdom's least reliable storytellers. Congratulations!"

I just hope I'm old, weaselly and hirsute enough to eventually play Chuck in the made-for-television movie of his life that he's no doubt shopping around to the Lifetime and TNN channels of the world...

Making this collection even more noteworthy, the seller had hand-selected each issue...

That is good information there. Those fork-selected comics tend to get some scrapes and indents along the way.

...going to convention after convention since 1987, seeking out just the highest condition copies he could find of key Golden Age, Silver Age, and Bronze Age books.

"Well, looks like these G+ Hulk 215-259 are the highest conndition *I* can find."

Rare is it to read such a thing. High in entertainment value. And why the heck would any of these need a POS? It certainly ain't a pedigree and the "provenance" appears to be late 80's and beyond, which is almost no provenance.

::edited out half a Freudian slip - said COS instead of COA::