• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan and Jack at their worst

47 posts in this topic

We all love the Silver Age Stan Lee and Jack Kirby stories... but does anyone have examples of Stan and Jack at their worst: specific panels, covers, text, etc. that they did on their off days?

In my opinion, their X-Men work was the worst - great initial idea, but a poorly conceived team with lackluster stories, rushed layouts, lame dialogue (even for Stan), etc. I tried to read those early issues, and I felt like my brain was going to burst they were so bad.

I remember reading somewhere that X-Men was the book Stan would write last, after he was happy with the rest, and I think it shows.

X men was a real bomb in the beginning...never liked the inkers for Kirby. After he left I thought the art got even worse....don't know why but i collected a hi grade run a few years back. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

R.

I think that Chic Stone's inking of Jack's art was painful to the eye. If you look at the basic layout development of the FF.....I personally think Joe Sinnott's inking challenged Jack to put more into his pencils and layouts and they made each other better.

Take a look at the interior art for FF 35.....and then go look at the art for FF 45. It's like two different artists did the work.

Red

I think that Chic Stone's inking of Jack's art was painful to the eye. If you look at the basic layout development of the FF.....I personally think Joe Sinnott's inking challenged Jack to put more into his pencils and layouts and they made each other better.

Take a look at the interior art for FF 35.....and then go look at the art for FF 45. It's like two different artists did the work.

Red

Along those lines I feel that Geo Bell was the worst inker ever and kills FF # 21, 25, 26.

Not sure about Stan but Kirby later works with boxy characters is painful to look at.

I agree 100%. Check out New Gods. I mean most of Kirby's characters were box-faces but it definitely got worse as he went into the 1970s.

Red

Along those lines I feel that Geo Bell was the worst inker ever and kills FF # 21, 25, 26.

You know what.....I agree. Bell was the VERY worst!

Red

I guess I must be George Bell's only fan,but I liked his covers a lot.I do remember being disappointed with 25 and 26.I also liked Chic Stone,but have to admit that the FF hit their peak with Joltin' Joe at the helm.I was fairly young in the 60's and Kirby and Ditko could do no wrong in my eyes.I would have to say that Heck inks on Kirby were probably my least favorite.I've actually come to appreciate Heck's work when he inked his own work.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a firend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Red

You know what.....I agree. Bell was the VERY worst!

Red

I agree as well - as much as folks complain about Vince Coletta dropping detail in his inks, he at least had some polish in his style. as for Stan, the Human Torch stories in Strange Tales were probably worse than his X-Men stuff.

Anyone have particular sequences, panels, text, etc. that they want to share?

I feel Geo Bell really didn't do these sketches any justice.

1339222-gbell1.jpg

1339223-gbell2.jpg

FF 25

1339227-gbell3.jpg1339229-gbell4.jpg

Just couldn't quite handle the faces.

1339237-gbell6.jpg

1339233-gbell5.jpg

In FF 26 he got a little better, but part of that is due to the fact that there were less closeups of the face and having the avengers show up (mostly wearing masks) helped to have busy action panels.

1339244-gbell7.jpg But every now and then... it's still rough looking.

The Avengers story(Issue 14?)where Giant-Man and IM are glued to the street,Cap commendeers a tow truck and they go road-surfing after the bad guys is ,imho,Jack and Stans worse SA moment.
The whole, let's ignore the impossible man in FF 11 even after he steals and wrecks an airplane. foreheadslap.gif

But I hold Stan accountable for those occurrances. Usually when one guy would falter a bit the other one carried the load.

The Avengers story(Issue 14?)where Giant-Man and IM are glued to the street,Cap commendeers a tow truck and they go road-surfing after the bad guys is ,imho,Jack and Stans worse SA moment.
But I hold Stan accountable for those occurrances. Usually when one guy would falter a bit the other one carried the load.

Does anyone know the exact issue the "road surfing" was in?

Does anyone know the exact issue the "road surfing" was in?

Avengers 6